Houston Safari Club Convention 2019

@ActionBob ...What did you think of Gordy's? Or had you already been there previously?
Never been there before, very classy... Especially for a an old farm boy;) But great people and very gracious.

They could improve the place by having some paper towels near those Rigby's when guys like us are drooling near them:oops:

Never been there before, very classy... Especially for a an old farm boy;) But great people and very gracious.

They could improve the place by having some paper towels near those Rigby's when guys like us are drooling near them:oops:
It's been over a year since I was there last, but I sure would like to be able to raid that Rigby rack! Maybe in the next life! What a place!

It's been over a year since I was there last, but I sure would like to be able to raid that Rigby rack! Maybe in the next life! What a place!
They have the highland stalkers out with the “cheap” guns now! I asked Russell Gordy where Dustin was and he doesn’t work there anymore. Sure would like to get a hold of him. If you still have his cell text it to me, he is a damn fine gunsmith.

They have the highland stalkers out with the “cheap” guns now! I asked Russell Gordy where Dustin was and he doesn’t work there anymore. Sure would like to get a hold of him. If you still have his cell text it to me, he is a damn fine gunsmith.
Standby, I have it close by somewhere!

The cell I have for him is 713-252-4146
Email I have is dustinmount@yahoo.com

Been there once (with @sierraone and @Bullthrower338 ) and the entire time I was in there I kept thinking to myself..."they really ought to toss me out of here, I don't belong"!

They need a better guard at the door!!

Been there once (with @sierraone and @Bullthrower338 ) and the entire time I was in there I kept thinking to myself..."they really ought to toss me out of here, I don't belong"!

They would have but they always mistake me for Brad Pitt and think I’m going to by an expensive fly rod for A River Runs Through It part 2.

Tim, when I didn't see you there yesterday, I figured they did stop you at the door.

It was my first time to Gordy's and I was very impressed. While there, I learned a few things about Purdey firearms: They sure are purdey and they are purdey expensive!

They would have but they always mistake me for Brad Pitt and think I’m going to by an expensive fly rod for A River Runs Through It part 2.
Dustin is waiting for his FFL to come through so he can go back into business for himself.

Tim, when I didn't see you there yesterday, I figured they did stop you at the door.

It was my first time to Gordy's and I was very impressed. While there, I learned a few things about Purdey firearms: They sure are purdey and they are purdey expensive!
I believe they have more Purdey’s than anyone else!

I was at the expo from opening until about 3PM Saturday. I think I'm going to book a stag hunt at Kuranui on NZ's north island. My buddy and I yakked with Mort and Mel for a good 20 minutes, maybe even 30!

Also, does anyone have experience with Buccara? Chris Noltje seems like a good man, and was the only person able to halfway talk sense into my buddy for being worried about snakes.

It's a nice laid back show, I was able to finalize a deal on a couple of those Citadel tower stands, and looks like I'll be swinging through the EC to hunt free ranging Aoudad in the mountains;)

But John’s eyes lit up when he talked about A-Frames!
He did have a valid point that when thought about for a moment made perfect sense. He said that an A-Frame due to the more rounded expansion can tend to roll during penetration. And I can see what he was talking about when the A-Frame hits at the higher impact velocity of a close range shot, it does tend to make quite a ball shape. Weight retention is typically still excellent but I would have to say his statement has a lot of validity just from what I have seen in recovered bullets.

In discussing this very subject with John, he stated that the threat of over-penetration from the North Fork more than outweighed the perceived advantages - in a herd situation.

If I shoot two Buffalo, I don’t want it to be with one shot! :eek:

So I will defer to my PH, and hunt with the A-Frame.

Still might bring a few North Fork...for Science!

...for Science!
So now in addition to a blonde wig, bandanna, cut off shorts, and your "Snapper", you are also taking a lab coat and microscope :Pompus:

:E Happy:

So now in addition to a blonde wig, bandanna, cut off shorts, and your "Snapper", you are also taking a lab coat and microscope :Pompus:

:E Happy:

Well, at least a dial caliper and a scale!

I completely forgot about the GTG at Gordy's. A little upset with myself because I had wanted to attend.

I got wrapped up with bidding on an auction hunt and totally forgot. Didn't win the auction but pushed it up a few hundred bucks for the winner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherrillGl

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg