Media
Articles
Houston Safari Club Convention 2019 - HSC Convention
George R. Brown Convention Center
Downtown Houston
January 25-27, 2019

www.houstonsafariclub.org/convention/

houston-safari-club-convention.jpg

2nd year at the GRB...hope I can make it this year.

I live in Houston and was out of town for last year's inaugural at GRB.

Tim, I am considering making this show also. Since it is one week after Dallas, I haven't made a decision yet. If I do, I will be staying at a Holiday Inn or Express in the downtown area, about as close as possible to the GRB Center. A short ride to Gordy's Saturday would be nice also!

Hi Joe, Welcome to our forum! If you are a hunter or just like to collect and shoot big bore rifles, you are in the right place.
Thanks for the Hilton suggestion, but anywhere I go that I am paying the bill, I stay in Holiday Inn (IHG) hotels. I am not sure how many points I will have by January, but I may not have to pay anything for my hotel in Houston. I picked HI maybe 15 years ago, and its already paid off several times.

Went to the Houston show last year after the flu ruined my DSC trip. Nice event, smaller and more time to interact with outfitters. Got to visit with a few sponsors and meet the folks I ended up hunting with this past March.

We will also be there come and stop by our booth!

If you get the opportunity to meet him, @Joe Betar is a gentleman. I had a chance encounter with him a couple weeks ago and he gently encouraged me to get off my back side and join HSC.

Looking forward to seeing you and your lovely wife again, Joe.

I will also have booth at Houston and looking forward to meeting some of the AH Forum members.

I went to the Jan 2018 HSC expo and will likely attend the upcoming one. Quite a bit smaller than DSC, but still a good selection of North American, South American, European and of course African outfitters. A lot of equipment, rifles and taxidermy to look at too. Well worth spending a day at.

We are looking forward to seeing everyone at the Houston Safari Club convention. We will be at booth 339! Please stop by and say hello!

Went to the HSC on Saturday afternoon. Ran into @tarbe , @Bullthrower338 and @BobT . HSC is much smaller than DSC, about 20-25% of the size. Still a fun way to spend a day, looking and talking with outfitters and vendors. There were a lot more protesters in Houston than what I saw in Dallas. Houston Police had about 5-6 officers nearby.

On Sunday, Gordy & Sons (https://gordyandsons.com/blog/an-evening-with-kevin-doctari-robertson/) hosted Dr. Kevin Robertson at their very impressive, high end store in Houston. Well, I guess it's not that high end if they let me in, as well as @Bullthrower338 and @BobT . Doctari gave about an hour long talk with PowerPoint slides and video on the subject of the Perfect Shot, featuring a lot of close calls with DG. The talk was followed by a book signing for "Perfect Shot II", so I bought a copy as did many people in attendance. It looks like a very good book.

A few take aways from the talk:
  • Dr. Robertson is definitely a "heavy for caliber" guy.
  • Sectional density and momentum are the important metrics.
  • The 404 Jeffery and 450/400 are impressive performers with manageable recoil.
  • He really likes NorthFolk bullets.
  • When asked about Hornady DGX, he said the original version was terrible and the new bonded version is much, much better.
  • Hates muzzle breaks

Last edited by a moderator:
The good Dr. is spot on IMHO.

We had a great time again this year in Houston. Met some great people.

Went to the HSC on Saturday afternoon. Ran into @tarbe , @Bullthrower338 and @BobT . HSC is much smaller than DSC, about 20-25% of the size. Still a fun way to spend a day, looking and talking with outfitters and vendors. There were a lot more protesters in Houston than what I saw in Dallas. Houston Police had about 5-6 officers nearby.

On Sunday, Gordy & Sons (https://gordyandsons.com/blog/an-evening-with-kevin-doctari-robertson/) hosted Dr. Kevin Robertson at their very impressive, high end store in Houston. Well, I guess it's not that high end if they let me in, as well as @Bullthrower338 and @BobT . Doctari gave about an hour long talk with PowerPoint slides and video on the subject of the Perfect Shot, featuring a lot of close calls with DG. The talk was followed by a book signing for "Perfect Shot II", so I bought a copy as did many people in attendance. It looks like a very good book.

A few take aways from the talk:
  • Dr. Robertson is definitely a "heavy for caliber" guy.
  • Sectional density and momentum are the important metrics.
  • The 404 Jeffery and 450/400 are impressive performers with manageable recoil.
  • He really likes NorthFolk bullets.
  • When asked about Hornady DGX, he said the original version was terrible and the new bonded version is much, much better.
  • Hates muzzle breaks
And don’t forget the FREE BEER! @ActionBob @375 Ruger Fan

Last edited by a moderator:
The good Dr. is spot on IMHO.
But John’s eyes lit up when he talked about A-Frames!
He did have a valid point that when thought about for a moment made perfect sense. He said that an A-Frame due to the more rounded expansion can tend to roll during penetration. And I can see what he was talking about when the A-Frame hits at the higher impact velocity of a close range shot, it does tend to make quite a ball shape. Weight retention is typically still excellent but I would have to say his statement has a lot of validity just from what I have seen in recovered bullets.

Last edited:
@ActionBob ...What did you think of Gordy's? Or had you already been there previously?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg