Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
Lifetime NRA, DSC, SCI
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Oklahoma, Kansas, Minnesota, Texas, Spain
So traveling in the states, has anyone else had issues with every hotel being booked in every state? For the last month or so every state I go to it is very difficult to find a hotel with any vacancies! Even in the smaller towns.
4 states in the last few weeks. All of them have been challenges finding a place. And the prices on some of them are well over 200.00 a night.
Not sure what the deal is?!

My son manages a hotel. He says it's crazy right now. People are travelling just to get out and do something...anything. Many are people who live within 25 miles of the hotel and just want to get out of the house, let the kids swim, and just relax without staring at the walls of their own house for a day or two. That and conventions/get togethers that have been put off for over a year.

One problem is, thanks to our nation wide monetary incentive to not work, staffing is next to impossible coupled with the fact that he and what little staff he has are way overworked to the point he loses people constantly. Tough situation for all.

It’s crazy.

We were on a road trip in June. There were no rooms available from Shreveport until south of Hattiesburg.

I’m to old to drive that late.

Check out the Airbnb system. There are people who rent out their whole house or a basement or spare apt and sometimes you can find one available- they cater to visitors and usually in tourist areas there are lots available-good luck!

I have gotten rooms when I needed them, but booked well in advance. I have heard hotel staff complain of lack of staffing and so they can not operate at 100%.

Even if you can book a day in advance you will be doing yourself a favor.

If I am that close to booking a room I'll use one of the online booking companies. They will give you a choice of a number of hotels in the area that you are interested in.

Thanks for the info everyone! I have observed LOTS of kids and pets at the hotels and it makes sense people are just sick of being shut in and want to just get out and have some fun.
I usually drive until I'm tired and then stop and grab a room. Guess I will just need to plan a bit better. Was just in Colorado and this little no-name town had a room but that was after having Google show hotels along my route and calling tons of them. I have always preferred driving bc I always can have my gun with and I don't have to wear a mask in a plane.
Anyhoot...guess until things settle down a bit more, just map out where I may want to land and book in advance if possible.

I also like driving until I am tired enough to get a room, but for long trips I'll take the time to scheduled a route where I can find a room and then relax instead of just flopping down on a bed and going to sleep. If I am driving by myself 9 or 10 hours is about all I care to do anymore. It also gives you time to stop along the way to look at highway markers and monuments or take a quick side trip.

When I was growing up my dad worked construction and we would get up very early and head out and drive until dark, get a room and do it all over again the next day. But he would finish a job up on a Thursday or Friday and be expected to be at the new one the following Monday. Not to mention my sister and I were in school and my parents didn't want us to miss any classes no matter what. So we just flied past all the interesting things on the side of the roads.

It is ridiculous. And don’t think air bnbs will be cheaper. Here in Idaho, in Ketchum we’ve seen air bnbs go for 200 a night, but it’s over 700 for a two night stay due to the fees tacked on. I think the city is enjoying taking money from the Californians who have made Ketchum their vacation spot.

I also like driving until I am tired enough to get a room, but for long trips I'll take the time to scheduled a route where I can find a room and then relax instead of just flopping down on a bed and going to sleep. If I am driving by myself 9 or 10 hours is about all I care to do anymore. It also gives you time to stop along the way to look at highway markers and monuments or take a quick side trip.

When I was growing up my dad worked construction and we would get up very early and head out and drive until dark, get a room and do it all over again the next day. But he would finish a job up on a Thursday or Friday and be expected to be at the new one the following Monday. Not to mention my sister and I were in school and my parents didn't want us to miss any classes no matter what. So we just flied past all the interesting things on the side of the roads.
You know...this is one thing that is great. I agree. If I see something interesting I can just take my time and stop there. After the crap show the last couple of years have been, whether it's work or fun that I'm traveling for, I just decided it's all good and I'm just going to finally have some fun and enjoy things! Just want to be able to get a room sometimes

Booking a room on the fly is always a crapshoot no matter the year. Plan a little and book early, especially in July. Lots of people were traveling last Sept. but I booked four rooms from 2 to 7 days early and had no problem finding good reasonably priced rooms. My max driving time is about 10 hours and I want a room so I plan the drive and my day.

One thing I noticed while booking a room in Chicago is that they are cleaning a room after an occupant checks out and leaving it empty for 2 or 3 days. Maybe some other areas are doing this as well?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg