Hotel near Harare airport / Fast Jet: comments please

Mopani

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
For September I have booked a hunt south of Bulawayo. Because international flights only arrive at Harare, I need to spend one night close to Harare airport. Any comments/recommendations?

Ffrom Harare to Bulawayo the flight will be on 'Fast Jet', never heard of that airline before. Is it good or terrible…?

For September I have booked a hunt south of Bulawayo. Because international flights only arrive at Harare, I need to spend one night close to Harare airport. Any comments/recommendations?

Ffrom Harare to Bulawayo the flight will be on 'Fast Jet', never heard of that airline before. Is it good or terrible…?
Mopani

The only problem I had with Fasjet is their website says only one weapon per case however the actual policy is one case of weapons. Quick cheap flights serving Harare, Bulawayo, The Falls and Johannesburg.

Have you thought of a charter straight into the hunting area?

Normally stay up north side of town, there are plenty of places to stay.

Not really next to the airport but as Zim Fan mentioned on the north side we stayed at the Guinea Fowl Lodge. It has a fenced and gated entrance with security. Well maintained grounds, a patio lounging/ eating area and decent rooms. Nothing fancy but for one night, it was adequate.

We stayed at Amanzi Lodge. A bit pricey, but first class accommodations to rest and recover after a long flight.

20210625_191601.jpg

The only hotel I would stay at that is sort of en route is the Cresta Lodge in Msasa. Amanzi is superb, but it is a long way over on the noth side of Harare, about twice as far as Cresta. Cresta will organise you an airport shuttle both ways.
Fastjet is a good little airline, no problem.

The only hotel I would stay at that is sort of en route is the Cresta Lodge in Msasa. Amanzi is superb, but it is a long way over on the noth side of Harare, about twice as far as Cresta. Cresta will organise you an airport shuttle both ways.

Our groups experience from Fastjet was terrible. Personally I will never fly Fastjet again. More details on our report: ZIMBABWE: Triple Buffalo Hunt In Matetsi 5 With MARTIN PIETERS SAFARIS

Have you considered flying via Johannesburg and taking Airlink to Bulawayo (direct flight)? Haven’t used Airlink myself but heard only good things.

Have you considered flying via Johannesburg and taking Airlink to Bulawayo (direct flight)? Haven’t used Airlink myself but heard only good things.

I would not recommend going through J'Burg for a variety of reasons for a Zimbabwe hunt. First one would have to go through firearms clearance in RSA then again in Zimbabwe. Secondly, it would take a lot more time than a drive to a lodge elsewhere in Harare adding hours to one's international travel.

I am taking FastJet for my glamping trip to Victoria Falls prior to my hunt, but my firearms and main luggage are staying at Harare.

Last time via J’burg to Vic Falls went smoothly regarding airport stuff, Fastjet was the only problem.

Harare to Vic Falls driving seem to be pretty long trip, but I will considere it next time (as one could get there via Doha direct).

When I went to Bulawayo I flew to JNB and overnighted and then flew to Bulawayo. I would not set the itinerary you have because I would not want to fly domestic in Zim. Those flights get cancelled often. I hope it works out.

At present I‘m in Germany, my double is with me. From South African SAPS I have received a temp. export permit which means I may bring the rifle back to SA, however I can‘t take it out again unless I have another permit.

So I have to fly into Zimbabwe for my hunt and from there back to South Africa. I hate flying Fast Jet!!! By the way Airlink is superb, since years I fly Airlink often. I‘m a Western Cape based nature guide, I forgot how often I flew Cape Town to Kruger, it was plenty of times. Always on Airlink.

Maybe I gonna cancel the BVC and book Timbavti/Klaserie instead. Those places are less wild but at least one sees bufffalo. At Sengwe 1 there wasn‘t a single buffalo, at BVC just two small herds, and a handful of bulls. No chance to shoot anything.

Any recommendations on lodging that would store a firearm in Harare. Our intent would be after the hunt in the Save to stay in Harare for a night. Then Fly to Vic Falls for a night or two, Fly back to Harare and spend another night before departing home to the states. Prefer not to travel with rifle to Vic Falls.

This hunt was booked for Sep 2022.....so I presume it is completed or did not take place....

Talk to your PH on the rifles and the restrictions on a Zim permit. You may have to take them with you but most hotels have a safe.

Amanzi is wonderful!

Flew fast jet last week. Flying Fast jet today. Flying Fast Jet twice next week. Firearm this trip Zero problems.

Lon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg