Hotel in Johannesburg

Discussion in 'Before & After the Hunt' started by sonnyn913, Aug 9, 2018.

1. sonnyn913

sonnyn913 AH Veteran

Member of:
    SCI International, SCI Kansas City Chapter
    Hunted:
    RSA, Limpopo region,NorthWest Province, VaalWater and Free State New Zealand
    I am flying into Joberg and spending the night where my PH will pick me up the following A.M. I usually stay at the Aviator Hotel. I am looking for a different hotel this time around. Can I get some suggestions that are close and will pick me up at the airport in a secure vehicle? I thought I saw a place referenced in here like the Guesthouse? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Sonny

2. wesheltonj

wesheltonj AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Patron-Life NRA, DSC, SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA
    City Lodge is right at the Airport and so is Intercontinental ( I have stayed here, excellent). Off Airport is Africa Sky (I have stayed here it's ok) and Afton House.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018

3. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico
    Walk to City Lodge or the Intercontinental.

Red Leg likes this.

4. Red Leg

Red Leg AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
    Both are acceptable (done both) - both are an easy and safe walk with bags. The Intercon is much the better of the two.

5. Dinsdale

Dinsdale AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Citi lodge was fine for me, basic room. Breakfast spread was decent and convenient. Can take rifle case right to room.

mikeinarkansas likes this.

6. 375 Ruger Fan

375 Ruger Fan AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, Canada (Yukon)
    Stayed at the City Lodge many times and it's safe, quiet and connected to the airport terminal. If you want to try an extremely nice type of guest house, try the African Rock Hotel. https://www.africanrockhotels.com/ When traveling with my wife, this is the place we always stay. A driver (usually Calvin) will meet you inside the arrival terminal at the airport and drive to the hotel, which only has about 8 or 9 rooms. It's located in a gated, residential neighborhood, about 10-15 minutes from the airport. Gourmet dinner and cook to order breakfast available.

7. firehuntfish

firehuntfish AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI NRA QDMA NWTF TU DU
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Botswana, South Africa, USA, South & Central America
    I would personally recommend either the Afton Safari Lodge or the Africa Sky Guest house... I have stayed at each location multiple times. Both offer secure, reputable, meet & greet and transportation from the airport. Both are also 10 minutes or less from the terminal. The Africa Sky is a bit more upscale with more amenities and an in-house restaurant. The Afton is a very clean and comfortable, but a bit more modest accommodation. The Afton will also take you free of charge to any of several area restaurants for dinner. Both offer a full breakfast that comes with the room.

Both also offer VIP meet & greet, rifle assist services, and luggage storage which I have also used, if you are interested. Have a great trip!

8. fourfive8

fourfive8 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana
    Easiest, simplest by far is City Lodge or Intercon. (especially after the torture of long flight and a day or two of travel) --both at airport. Excellent breakfast included with room at City Lodge. I usually stay at City Lodge.

9. mrpoindexter

mrpoindexter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, NFAA
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe, California
    I have stayed at both African Sky and Afton house. If I were to bring my wife and family, I think African Sky might be a little better option, but I have enjoyed just hanging out at Afton House and talking with the other hunters a bit more.

10. 3S Safaris

3S Safaris SPONSOR Since 2017 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa
    City Lodge or Intercontinental both are attached to airport, Intercontinental is closest and they have a good restaurant
    Quills . Staff very attentative and friendly