Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
https://www.hornady.com/new-products/bullets

OK somebody give these a try and let us know if it really is an improvement! My rifle won’t shoot 10,000 miles to try them out! LOL!
I like it that they are round nose and the profile is the same as the DGS.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 11.21.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 11.21.59 AM.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 572
  • Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 11.22.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 11.22.08 AM.png
    1,003.6 KB · Views: 515
  • Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 11.22.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 11.22.10 AM.png
    446.1 KB · Views: 558
The video looks great, with an advertised 95% weight retention it should replace the old DGX line completely. I'm looking forward to the infield reports from the Hornady fans like me.

The video looks great, with an advertised 95% weight retention it should replace the old DGX line completely. I'm looking forward to the infield reports from the Hornady fans like me.

I heard about the new and improved , but haven't looked at the details yet.. I wonder if they will truly discontinue the old and what the price of the new will be?

I will leave it to others to field test. Too much misleading advertising from Hornady im the past for me to believe anything they say....

I heard about the new and improved , but haven't looked at the details yet.. I wonder if they will truly discontinue the old and what the price of the new will be?

I will leave it to others to field test. Too much misleading advertising from Hornady im the past for me to believe anything they say....

I'm sure they will cost more than the original DGX rounds but probable less than the "Barnes" and "A-Frames" in order to capture market share.

As for the field testing, I don't plan on hunting DG for a few more years so I'm relying on my fellow AH members to tell me the "Good, the Bad and the Ugly" about the new "DGX Bonded" bullet.

I'm sure they will cost more than the original DGX rounds but probable less than the "Barnes" and "A-Frames" in order to capture market share.

This will be interesting to watch just from a pure marketing point of view. Hornady has good market share, but due to price and not quality of product in this case, in my opinion.

Based on that, the question seems to be, does the "new and improved" DGX steal market share from Barnes and Swift, or the old DGX, if the new one is priced in the middle? And, if Hornady actually discontinues the old DGX and only has the new at a higher price I'd think their market share would actually drop, although that's not always true (higher price can also give the perception of quality and drive sales, within reason).

I've enjoyed using Hornady rifle bullets, in various calibers, for almost 50 years of hand loading now (including success with the DGX, on the only African buffalo I have shot).
The DGX and DGS are the absolute perfect shape / profile for the type of animals and hunting conditions they were designed for.
They profile very similarly to the current trend in shapes of many small coffee thermoses available these days - simply the perfect shape, aka; "profile" for DG bullets in both soft or solid, IMO.
Making the jacket of malleable steel, plated over with softer metal to avoid damaging rifle bores (especially important with super expensive English doubles) was a **fairly good plan.
The original Rigby bullets that made at least 3 early smokeless, Pre WW-I African cartridges famous for their reliability, were similarly constructed (calibers .350, .416 and .450 NE).
In other words, mild steel jacket / lead core / blunt shape / parallel sides).
Nonetheless, I have always believed that, **Hornady should've bonded the DGX core to its jacket.
(Also, it would have been good for Hornady to stop making the DGX jacket thinner toward the nose, rather instead drawing their jackets the same thickness, from base to nose - oh well, maybe next time).
The last thought here is partly for humor sake but with an element of truth:
IMO, If Swift were to make their A-Frame line of bullets available with the "coffee thermos profile", Hornady's newest bonded core DGX bullets would not sell well.

Huh, maybe they were paying attention after all....:)

I've enjoyed using Hornady rifle bullets, in various calibers, for almost 50 years of hand loading now (including success with the DGX, on the only African buffalo I have shot).
The DGX and DGS are the absolute perfect shape / profile for the type of animals and hunting conditions they were designed for.
They profile very similarly to the current trend in shapes of many small coffee thermoses available these days - simply the perfect shape, aka; "profile" for DG bullets in both soft or solid, IMO.
Making the jacket of malleable steel, plated over with softer metal to avoid damaging rifle bores (especially important with super expensive English doubles) was a **fairly good plan.
The original Rigby bullets that made at least 3 early smokeless, Pre WW-I African cartridges famous for their reliability, were similarly constructed (calibers .350, .416 and .450 NE).
In other words, mild steel jacket / lead core / blunt shape / parallel sides).
Nonetheless, I have always believed that, **Hornady should've bonded the DGX core to its jacket.
(Also, it would have been good for Hornady to stop making the DGX jacket thinner toward the nose, rather instead drawing their jackets the same thickness, from base to nose - oh well, maybe next time).
The last thought here is partly for humor sake but with an element of truth:
IMO, If Swift were to make their A-Frame line of bullets available with the "coffee thermos profile", Hornady's newest bonded core DGX bullets would not sell well.
Plus 1

We will see how well they kill animals. The degree of dead could be much better with the new bullet.

LOL! I like it!

You understand there is almost dead, dead, very dead and of course grave yard DEAD and nothing gets any more dead than that.

You understand there is almost dead, dead, very dead and of course grave yard DEAD and nothing gets any more dead than that.
You’re going to have to teach me the intricacies of “dead” on our group hunt(n)!

If it's DRT there is no tracking involved!

Augh! I need a program! This is getting too complicated keeping track:(!

I will school you up on all this when we get to camp next July. Just remind me!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.