AH senior member
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Member of
NWTF, RMEF, SCI, NRA LIfe
Hunted
Namibia, Canada, U.S.A.
Has anyone used the Hornady GMX on game? Specifically the Superformance 165-grain GMX in .30-06 on African plains game.

Should be fine for all plainsgame they dont have amour plating shot placement is what counts know where the vitals are and learn it.

I used it this winter in my .270 on my deer hunt. It worked great, even took one deer at 330 yards and had a through and through.

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to Texas to hunt turkeys in April, and after my turkey is in the bag I can hunt hogs. I'm going to take my .30-06 as well as my turkey gun so I can test the GMX on the biggest hog I can find. If I shoot him right in the shield and the bullet exits I know it will do fine in Africa.
I have a copy of the Perfect Shot and it helped me out a lot before my first safari.

I was wondering whether you used the Superformance GMX in Africa yet? I was posting a similar thread before seeing this one.

No I have not. I used Nosler Partitions in Africa and have decided to not fix what isn't broken.
The Texas trip I referenced happened, but after getting my Rio with a shotgun I had fun killing varmints with a .22. I didn't even get to hogs after that.
I still think that GMX bullets would work fine, but still haven't gone through my supply of NP's.

I am now debating between the NP and A-Frame for a standard load 180 gr in my 30-06. The idea is to get very comfortable with the round (deer, moose, hogs or whatever)and then use it on a PG hunt in Africa in the next few years. My concern with the NP was that the amount of weight they loose would reduce them for the larger PG animals. Did you have any concerns with what you did there?

If I had a choice between NP and Swift A Frame, I would go with Swift A Frame every time. They seem to shoot accurate out of every gun I own and are great at putting game down fast. NP break up too much, expensive for the production they produce. They were great years ago, but bullet designs are better today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eye4aneye

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!