Hornady eld-x field reviews

Discussion in 'Hunting Africa' started by Nelsonc0, May 2, 2016.

1. Nelsonc0

Nelsonc0 New Member

Video/Photo:
    Trying to find some real world experience with the new Hornady eld-x bullets. I have a trip planned for next year for a plains game hunt in Africa, and trying to come up with a suitable round for my 300 win mag. I picked up a box of the 200 grain Hornady eld-x and from an accuracy stand point I was very impressed. So right now I am looking at either getting back on the reloading bench to try to come up with something that will match the accuracy or just buying some more of these rounds.

2. Scott Slough

Scott Slough AH Fanatic

Member of:
    SCI, Pineywoods SCI, NAHC, TTH
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa (Eastern Cape)
    Enquiring minds want to know .... somebody step up and kill something with these bullets. I am committed to breaking the blood barrier with my .375 this year, but I am also intrigued with these new bullets. I agree with @Nelsonc0 that an accurate 200 g bullet that expanded well while retaining its mass in the 300 win mag would be a GREAT plains game bullet ... and hey ... I have a 300 win mag too!

3. CAustin

CAustin AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
    Hunted:
    South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
    NelsonCo where did you get the new bulets?

4. Nelsonc0

Nelsonc0 New Member

Video/Photo:
    I seen a box at the local field and stream store. They were the only production rounds I seen over 185 gr. so I picked a box up. I was able to get 1/2" 3 round groups at 100 yards, which is 1/2" better than anything I have put together on my bench. My previous go to round was 180gr scirocco ii on I beleive 68 gr of IMR 4350 and federal primers. I was wanting to get something a little heavier for Africa though.

CAustin likes this.

5. Divernhunter

Divernhunter AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life member NRA and NAHC Escalon Sportsmans club, Manteca sportsman club and Coalinga Rifle Club. Member of SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA
    Use Swift A-Frames and you will not need to worry or experiment. I will be using them once again when I go back in 2017.

Velo Dog likes this.

6. CAustin

CAustin AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
    Hunted:
    South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
    180 gr will do just fine. I've taken most of my plains game with the 300 win mag with Winchester ballistic silver tips 180 gr at 2900 ft per sec.

7. stug

stug AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    NZ
    From a couple of reports I have seen they are about as soft as the original a-max. Probably be OK at long range but probably over expand and not penetrate well at close range. I would personally go with a stouter projectile, even though I use the a-max extensively deer hunting here in NZ.

8. Jono Joseph

Jono Joseph AH Veteran

Member of:
    PHASA , SA Hunters, SA Wingshooters, WRSA, SCI , DCS
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, Zambia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe
    180gr is ample but a 200gr is better.... most important is accuracey and practice though.
    My suggestion 180gr or 200gr Peregrine VGR-4 , i have said this before i like the results we have with prergrine.
    http://www.peregrinebullets.co.za/index.php/vrg1-to-vrg-6#more-info-4

300 wim mag will do everything you need with a 180gr use a premium bullet and you will be fine.
    Practice shooting from the "sticks" off your knee and sitting down, stalking plains game gets you into some interesting positions.

Shot Shot