Hornady DGX bullets

colorado

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Quite a thread going on in other forums about bullet failures on buffalo and even plains game out of 375 H&Hs and other heavier calibers. Anyone used a Hornady DGX expanding bullet (not the solid DGS) on buffalo with success (dead buffalo and decent bullet penetration, expansion and weigh retention) ?

I used Hornady DGX in 458 Win mag last year in Zimbabwe on 2 x buff. Both one shot kills and excellent bullet performance. I have unfortunately lost the recovered bullets and cannot now weigh them for weight retention purposes.

My recent diatribe on DGX and bullets for DG in general. @gizmo I'm sure will be along to weigh in. He also contributed in the thread where my quote below came from.

Any piece of metal injected at high speed into the heart/lung area of any animal has a high likelihood of killing that animal. It's not so much a matter of can a bullet ever do it's job, it's a question of reliability, will the bullet do the job shot after shot after shot. No one hunter (not counting PH's) is likely to shoot enough animals to answer that question. But thanks to forums like this, we can gather enough statistical data from a large enough group of hunters to answer that question.

When it comes to the DGX, the answer to that question of reliable killing has been answered and that answer is a firm no in my opinion. It doesn't mean it doesn't ever work, it doesn't mean that it won't work perhaps even most of the time where most means more than half. But it has performed poorly in too many instances for me to even consider using it especially with the availability of what I consider to be far superior bullets.

Getting too attached to a bullet because it has performed well for you a few occasions seems unwise to me too. I've killed plenty of animals with the Nosler Partition. Love the bullet, love the story that drove John Nosler to develop a better bullet. But as much as I love the bullet, I would not think for a moment of using it on Buffalo. I would bet Mr. Nosler would consider the A-Frame and NF Bonded cores to be the natural evolution of improvement of the Partition design.

Now as to why the DGX has seen the wide spectrum of performance, I don't know. I can think of a number of possibilities from poor design to poor quality control in manufacturing. But that's for the Hornady guys to figure out and I hope they do. I appreciate what Hornady has done for shooting and especially providing brass in some of the classic calibers. But the DGX is not a product I have any intention of buying.

do a search for DGX and you are bound to see numerous posts on the topic. no offense intended but its been discussed and argued over so many times.:S Beat Dead Horse:

some like them... most don't. (I don't like them)

-matt

Yes used the. With great performance! Dead buff, lion and very thick skinned giraffe.

I don't think it ever hurts to bring up the subject of regular equipment failure again.... maybe a new guy would have missed it, or maybe some who still uses them will begin to question all of the failures.

Look, I just know this. I've never seen a thread titles "tsx bullet failure" or "a frame fell apart." I can't same the same for Hornady. And I've talked to several people who have sent pics from their failed to Hornady, who always seems to have the standard answer of "first we've ever heard of it."

And I've talked to several people who have sent pics from their failed to Hornady, who always seems to have the standard answer of "first we've ever heard of it."

Interesting that Hornady has specific information about what to do with defective ammunition though on their website. It is very easy to find. They will send you more at no charge. In a quick look at the top manufacturer sites they don't seem to have the needs for this, although one does have an number for returns, but failures aren't mentioned. I just found this to be interesting, read out of it whatever you'd like.

http://www.hornady.com/support/faqs/ammunition

I would like to return my ammunition, how do I do that?
Ammunition Warranty

All Hornady ammunition is warranted against material and workmanship defects. If the ammunition is found to be defective due to material or workmanship, Hornady will replace the defective ammunition at no charge to the customer.

All ammunition warranty claims are handled on a case-by-case basis. In order to initiate a claim, please contact our Customer Service Technicians at 800-338-3220.

All ammunition warranty claims must have a Return Authorization (RA) number assigned before acceptance at our facility for further examination. Please DO NOT send ammunition without obtaining a RA number from our Customer Service staff.

NOTE: Improper storage and handling of ammunition may result in damage to the product. The appearance of exposure, corrosion or any other evidence of damage that occurred after the product was sold will void any warranties.

To return a product, send with transportation prepaid, to:

Hornady Manufacturing Company
3625 West Old Potash Hwy
Grand Island NE 68803

Prices and/or specifications are subject to change without notice.

I'd like here what @doctari505 would say about the DGX.

I sure hope gizmo don't see this thread. He had failure on lion and buffalo with Hornady Ammo. I'll never use them on dangerous game. I'm planning a buffalo hunt next year and you can bet my 375 will have Swift AFrames loaded in her.

I'm an A-Frame kind of guy myself for expanding bullets in the bigger bores. I like 150g Partitions at 3000 fps out of my 270. Old fashioned I guess.

I'd like here what @doctari505 would say about the DGX.

I can give you a good idea, I spoke at length with Dr. Robertson about bullet choices for the 505 Gibbs back when I had just purchased my rifle. his current choice bullet is the North Fork CPS and was very unimpressed with Woodleigh bullets as he had some come apart on him.

while we did not discuss the DGX bullet, the DGX does not hold its weight as well as the Woodleigh SP I seriously doubt he would be a fan.

-matt

I can give you a good idea, I spoke at length with Dr. Robertson about bullet choices for the 505 Gibbs back when I had just purchased my rifle. his current choice bullet is the North Fork CPS and was very unimpressed with Woodleigh bullets as he had some come apart on him.

while we did not discuss the DGX bullet, the DGX does not hold its weight as well as the Woodleigh SP I seriously doubt he would be a fan.

-matt

I'm guessing he'd prefer the frozen herring over the DGX.

Quite a thread going on in other forums about bullet failures on buffalo and even plains game out of 375 H&Hs and other heavier calibers. Anyone used a Hornady DGX expanding bullet (not the solid DGS) on buffalo with success (dead buffalo and decent bullet penetration, expansion and weigh retention) ?

Hi Colorado,

Yes I have (because they regulated better than any other brand including Woodleigh in the old .450 No 2NE double I had then - much to my surprise).
I have posted in my "Photos" section a picture of a couple of recovered DGX 480 grainers from that hunting trip.
And, I would use the DGX again if that's what regulated best in my double rifle dujour again.

However, I need to add three other points on this DGX subject.
1. If hunting with old fashioned "cup and core" type bullets, it is best to avoid using a minimal caliber - in other words, "use enough gun" as Ruark once said.
2. I would never drive the DGX bullet very fast (my old .450 No 2NE regulated properly at 2050 fps through a chronograph and other velocity variations only shot poorly).
3. If shooting a bolt action .375 H&H, there is probably no reason to choose the DGX, since the 300 grain A-Frame (very best of the best premium softs IMO) is quite available in both live ammunition and projectiles for hand loading as well, for this great hunting cartridge and others.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
Thanks Velo Dog, as always. My boys shoot A-Frames in their 375 Weatherby (300g) and 416 Rem (400g). I've been shooting 570g TSX's to good effect in my 500 Jeffery, though I have a bag of 570g A-Frames I plan to load for this spring.

Last edited:
DGX and DGS both are absolute garbage and please don't trust your life to them. It's certainly not worth it. I've posted several times and given pics and full explanations. Please see the previous threads.

DGX and DGS both are absolute garbage and please don't trust your life to them. It's certainly not worth it. I've posted several times and given pics and full explanations. Please see the previous threads.
Told you all. Lol

Gizmo: I've seen people cuss and discuss the Hornady DGX and DGS. Sometimes by the same person!:whistle:

Now I'll grant you that large wild hogs, even ones from Texas, are not in the same league as a cape buff, but it's a fair test for a bullet. All kidding aside, I'm just wondering what specifically changed your mind on these bullets.

upload_2016-4-18_13-46-25.png

The fact that both bullets failed on lion and on Cape buffalo during my hunt. Like I said I've posted my full experience several times. Most recently on the ammo for cape buff thread. Pictures and the like are on that as well as several other threads.

Gizmo: I've seen people cuss and discuss the Hornady DGX and DGS. Sometimes by the same person!:whistle:

Now I'll grant you that large wild hogs, even ones from Texas, are not in the same league as a cape buff, but it's a fair test for a bullet. All kidding aside, I'm just wondering what specifically changed your mind on these bullets.

View attachment 149017

Here is the thread
http://www.africahunting.com/threads/ammunition-for-cape-buffalo.26088/page-3#post-262425

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lepani

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!