Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life, RMEF, Pheasants Forever
Hunted
US, Germany, Africa
Has anyone used the new Hornady CX bullets? I just got some 250gr for my 375 that I'm going to try out. Interested in hearing from any that have tried them.

I have some 165 gr. bullets coming my way I'm going to try in the .30-06. Waiting on the 130 gr. version to show so I can try in the 6.5 CM.

I bought some as well. I listened to a good podcast on them, Podcast 157 on the Backcountry Hunting Podcast. The research and testing is amazing, accuracy standards are well beyond most hunting loads, and case sealing is top notch.

They should be the best mono metal bullet on the market.

Side note- Hornady has massively increased the industry standards for hunting bullets. They spent huge money on a full dropler radar system and slow motion cameras for their bullet testing facility. It allows them to determine actual BC and see how minor adjustments to the bullet are impacting performance. Hornady was the company that discovered how plastic tips in bullets were melting and changing shape in flight, something denied by other makers. That’s a huge revelation on a long range bullet.

Note Hornady Aluminum tip match bullets now exist…

Waiting on a reply back from Hornady. Do I just start with the GMX load data in their 10th Edition load book or do they have some specific CX data that they can send me?

We'll see...

GMX and CX are different bullets, cousins…but not twins.

You should still be able to work up a load though, relatively similar.

Puddle…..Hornady 11th edition….showing same load info for all their 165 grain. Go online and download the 30 06 info. For .99 cents on the Hornady web page or the whole 11th edition for a few $. Let me know your powder and I will pm you the data. Save the .99 cents

Well, just as I figured. Got a reply back from Hornady saying there's no CX load data ready to publish. Instead they said to simply use starting GMX load data found in the Hornady books. Mine? the 10th Edition.
I'm considering using 165 gr. CX bullet at around 2800 MV out of my .30-06 on a next plains game hunt. As soon as the box of bullets arrive I'll get busy....

Side note- Hornady has massively increased the industry standards for hunting bullets. They spent huge money on a full dropler radar system and slow motion cameras for their bullet testing facility. It allows them to determine actual BC and see how minor adjustments to the bullet are impacting performance. Hornady was the company that discovered how plastic tips in bullets were melting and changing shape in flight, something denied by other makers. That’s a huge revelation on a long range bullet.

Note Hornady Aluminum tip match bullets now exist…
Can you post a link about plastic tips melting?

Has anyone used the new Hornady CX bullets? I just got some 250gr for my 375 that I'm going to try out. Interested in hearing from any that have tried them.
So pointy! They have to be great.
I'll probably shoot some tomorrow but won't get any game experience with them unless a prairie dog pops up.
pointy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have shot a box of Hornady Outfitter in my 375 Ruger (23 inch barrel) with the 250 gr GMX bullet and was very impressed with the accuracy and consistent velocity. They were about 300 fps faster than my 300 gr Swift A-Frame load and POI was several inches higher.

1650062217172.png

Signed in. I’m wondering if there a little softer Barnes ttsx? Might open up a little better at lower velocity’s.
Hmmm... all I know is Hornady has stated in more than one venue that 2000 fps is the lowest impact velocity that the bullet will expand reliably.
I have the brass prepped and ready to load the 165's in my .30-06 with the initial MV target of 2800. If that goes well (as I expect) then I'll start tweaking up the MV.

So pointy! They have to be great.
I'll probably shoot some tomorrow but won't get any game experience with them unless a prairie dog pops up.
View attachment 462179

I kinda wonder how those would do on Buffalo. I know that the conventional wisdom is 300Grain bullets...but the monometals are large for weight anyway and the increased velocity should make up for it, penetration wise. I think that bullet would equal a 300 grain lead core and should be good for buff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!