Hornady .338 250 grain RN

Andrews

AH member
Reaction score
Media
I have been looking at some of these bullets to load in my 338-06. I should be able to get them around 2400 fps no problem, whatsoever, rivaling the revered 318 Westley Richards. I'm just curious if anyone has had any experience with them and what the results were. I know that Hornady is usually a pretty soft bullet and a lot of PHs have bad feelings with them, .338 RN's are just hard to find. I think only Hornady and Woodleigh manufacturer them and call me old fashioned, I just like the RN design. I'm mostly concerned with bullet strength/blow up. Thanks

There are several boxes up for bid on Gunbroker.com.

These bullets are designed for use at the impact velocities generated by the .338 Winchester Magnum...so no way they will be too soft for PG at 338-06 velocity.

I do believe if I was going to use my .338-06 on PG though, I would spring a few bucks and lay in a supply of a bonded, mono-metal or partition bullets.

Of course, as always, placement is paramount! But you already know that!

Tim

The .338 WM is my favorite caliber for PG and the 250 gr bullet is my favorite load. I have used the partition a lot and have yet to recover one. I did lose one wildebeest when I screwed up a neck shot that hit absolutely nothing that mattered. As for as I know the bullet and wildebeest are still on their way to Botswana.

I use the 225 gr AFrame with full satisfacción.

I could not agree more with the comment on the Swift A frame round nose. I'd be in for a case as well, the current 275gr spitzer is no joke, gotten them going 2600fps with IMR4320.....not much you can't do with that, although most would say a 375HH is much better, I don't think so. IMO a 338 WM loaded right is satisfactory for a lot of big stuff, all plains game and NA big game, including african cats and big alaskan bears, then again I've never stared down a lion, but I have a big grizzly, gotta be about the same. I've used and seen 338 WM with good bullets wreck 800lb+ bears. In a 338-06 not sure you're going to have the powder capacity to get the velocities, unless you convert to a AI to eek out a little more powder.

Andrews,

The .338-06, with 250 gr RN bullet @ 2400 fps is indeed all but a mirror image of the thoroughly tried and true .318 WR.
The projectile you are interested in was once very popular here in Alaska for the .338 Winchester.
As one poster said, this bullet was designed around the magnum velocities.
Sadly, most folks nowadays prefer spritzers at higher speed.
I'm with you and others that believe blunt bullets are superior for effect on living tissue and bone.
For my money, I only use spritzers when hunting an area/species that most likely will require a shot beyond 300 yards (springbok and such).
Out to around 300 yds/meters, round nose bullets fly plenty flat but seem to hit harder and more importantly, track straighter through flesh and bone.
Perhaps it's my imagination but, it also seems like all else being the same, they appear to be a wee bit tougher than their pointy brethren.

I spent most of my money on proper rifles and safaris, the rest I just wasted.

Cheers,
Velo Dog

Andrews,

PS:
I forgot to say that, even though I have only been to Africa a relatively few times and those were mostly for non-dangerous game, I would not hesitate to use the .338-06 with 250 Hndy RNSP over there, for all species that it is legal for.
Again, I am just a beginner compared to many in this forum.

However, the above combination seems to me that it'd be just about right for a general bag, including tough guys like zebra (the armored car of non-dangerous game), gul-dag wilder beasts and eland, etc, etc.
Some argue that eland are not so tough but I would retort that: Perhaps that is so but, one must remember there is much muscle and bone to get through to the vitals on them.
On my last safari, one of my amigos shot one of about 2000 pounds, near The Kruger Park, with his .35 Whelen / 250 gr "Core-Lokt", boring old Remington factory ammo, in the Green and yellow box.
The bull staggered, belly flopped and took a 2nd 250 grainer, (again on the shoulder) which, finished it about instantly, or close to it.
No 3rd shot needed.
The Whelen is not a .338-06 and the bullet he used is, I suppose a spitzer or semi-spitzer but, it is all quite similar.
The PH (John Luyte) said it was one of the largest eland any client of his had ever taken.

My friend also took other species with that load and has nothing but praise for it.
On his first safari, by the way, my friend used a .270 Winchester and 140 gr Swift A-Frames.
He shot many species with the little rifle.
Incredible bullet and highly recommended but he has switched to the .35 now and very happy about his decision, even with old fashioned Core-Lokt bullets.
Point of all this is that, your Hornady RN, 250 grain .33 bullet @ around 2400 FPS will be totally fine for Africa.

Sorry this was so long-winded but I had one too many espressos this morning.

Out.
Velo Dog.

Thanks everyone for the replies, guess its time to order up some bullets and put them to the test. I am going to try 225 A-Frames, 210 Partitions, TSSXs, and Hornady RNSP.

Andrews,

Beware the high velocity possible with a light bullet like the 210 gr Nosler Partition.

Not sure what the velocity threshold of that one is but, I know of a case wherein the Nosler Partition 260 gr / .375 Weatherby (not the much larger .378) velocity shattered the bullet against a moose brisket, causing a gruesome and shallow wound, no part of the bullet entered the vitals.

Luckily he was able to eventually get more rounds into softer spots and keep it from escaping but underline the key word LUCKILY.

Furthermore, I have no serious experience with TTSSSXX bullets but, rumor has it they are the opposite of softer bullets, such as NP mentioned, in that they need to go fast or they sometimes fail to expand at all, leaving your critter with an ice pick type wound.

Here in AK, both the HEAVIER Hndy RNSP and the NP are tried and true performers on even 2000 lb bison.

IE: in .338 Winchester magnum, the NP and Hndy in 250 gr weight are commonly used by many Alaskan residents with about perfect results, decade after decade.

I repeat myself but, I would be confident with either of the above 250 grainers in the .338-06 @ 2400 fps, for PG, including eland.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
I've used my 338-06 on several PG hunts using Nosler Partition 225 gr bullets. I am totally satisfied with the performance. One went clear through both shoulders of a 2000 lb eland and was recovered under the skin on the far side. It was minus the nose lead but the partition and rear lead and folded petals pushed all the way through. About as good as it gets in my book.

Andrews,

PS:
I forgot to say that, even though I have only been to Africa a relatively few times and those were mostly for non-dangerous game, I would not hesitate to use the .338-06 with 250 Hndy RNSP over there, for all species that it is legal for.
Again, I am just a beginner compared to many in this forum.

However, the above combination seems to me that it'd be just about right for a general bag, including tough guys like zebra (the armored car of non-dangerous game), gul-dag wilder beasts and eland, etc, etc.
Some argue that eland are not so tough but I would retort that: Perhaps that is so but, one must remember there is much muscle and bone to get through to the vitals on them.
On my last safari, one of my amigos shot one of about 2000 pounds, near The Kruger Park, with his .35 Whelen / 250 gr "Core-Lokt", boring old Remington factory ammo, in the Green and yellow box.
The bull staggered, belly flopped and took a 2nd 250 grainer, (again on the shoulder) which, finished it about instantly, or close to it.
No 3rd shot needed.
The Whelen is not a .338-06 and the bullet he used is, I suppose a spitzer or semi-spitzer but, it is all quite similar.
The PH (John Luyte) said it was one of the largest eland any client of his had ever taken.

My friend also took other species with that load and has nothing but praise for it.
On his first safari, by the way, my friend used a .270 Winchester and 140 gr Swift A-Frames.
He shot many species with the little rifle.
Incredible bullet and highly recommended but he has switched to the .35 now and very happy about his decision, even with old fashioned Core-Lokt bullets.
Point of all this is that, your Hornady RN, 250 grain .33 bullet @ around 2400 FPS will be totally fine for Africa.

Sorry this was so long-winded but I had one too many espressos this morning.

Out.
Velo Dog.
@Velo Dog
I know this is an old post but after seeing the effect of the 250gr Hornady round nose at 2,700fps out of the Whelen on a huge iryx I have to concour the round nose definitely appears to hit a lot harder than any of the spitzers I used in Namibia. Inside 300 yards they are devastating on game.
Can't wait to try Woodleigh 225gn and 310 round noses on game.should be great.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jostepan

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois