Ryanlo

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
USA New Zealand
we will be going to South Africa in a year for our first trip. Daughter has a handful of animals she wants. I really like the different stuff. The honey badger is on the top of my list. The civet cat, monkeys, baboons, and porcupine are also on my list. She is shooting a 300 win mag. Trying to figure out what caliber to bring for myself. Was going to take my 275 Rigby. But want to do life size mounts and not make a mess. What do you all think?

Was leaning towards a 223 bolt gun.

275 Rigby is perfect just load it with premium grade controlled expansion heavy bullets(eg. 170-175 grn) at modest velocity.

223 Rem has way too much velocity and over expansive bullets which will destroy much more of the cape.

.275 not a bad choice. If not that think about a .243 or 22-250

My wife used her 7x57 (275 Rigby) with a solid 175gr on her honey badger last safari. I am planning on using my 9.3x62 with solids on nocturnal kritters in 2018.

Any rifle with solids will work. I use my .375 with solids on the small animals, small hole. Works perfectly.

@Ryanlo

Smaller slow rifle calibers with solids is the way to go with any of the varmints and smaller critters. For the most part, your shots will be short, so long range accuracy is not a big concern... Check with your outfitter to see if they have a rifle for you to use specifically for these types of critters. We have a .243 with managed recoil rounds an solid loads that work perfectly. Anything along those lines is the ticket. Good luck and enjoy your family safari!

Would love to have those two animals!

I shot my civet cat and honey badger both with my .300 wsm. The civet had no damage to the body, but I did blow a leg completely off. :A Banana Sad: The honey badger had no appreciable damage. This however; was the rifle I had and wouldn't be my specific choice for those animals.

Like others have said, slow and solid is likely the best choice.

Solids is best. Definitely
Enjoy the hunt sounds interesting
Regards

I used a .223 with PMP ammo and it seemed like the perfect weapon for the small cats.

Just to add to Marius' thought, if you reload, you can use a cold load in almost any caliber with a solid and expect good results. Otherwise, I believe Hornaday offers several calibers ranging from .243 to .30-.06 in a "managed recoil" load right out of the box.

The honey badger is on the top of my list. The civet cat, monkeys, baboons, and porcupine are also on my list.

Oh I’m jealous! They’re all on my wish list! But none are as easy to get, IMO, as the antelopes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MUABritney

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross