Holographic or Red Dot sights

Hi Charlie, for me personally the comb is too low. If i put my head down like I am supposed to then I cannot see my front sight. I don't know if it is the way my cheekbone sits but that is what happens to me.

I have used the 404 with 450gr softs at 2230fps and that was plenty effective!

Hi Charlie, for me personally the comb is too low. If i put my head down like I am supposed to then I cannot see my front sight. I don't know if it is the way my cheekbone sits but that is what happens to me.

I have used the 404 with 450gr softs at 2230fps and that was plenty effective!

Well, I am a firm believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". If what you are doing now works for you, I would stick with the program. I was just looking at a discussion on comb height risers. They look like they could work for me. I have killed a number of deer with iron sights. I have shot 1", 100 yd. groups with centerfire rifles with irons. I was surprised as I didn't think I could do that but I did. The last deer I took with iron sights was with a .54 cal. muzzle loader. The light wasn't good & I had a devil of a time seeing the sights & getting them lined up. Fortunately, the deer was cooperative & maybe a little dumb & I finally got a good sight picture & put the ball dead center through the heart. After that, I decided there has to be a better way. Most critters don't pose for you indefinitely. I'm thinking that a low profile dot sight would be the ticket & if I couldn't get it quite low enough, I could use it in conjunction with a comb riser. That would keep the comb adjustment at a minimum, if it were needed at all.
Thank you for your input. It really helped me resolve my problem (at least I think I have found the solution).

All the best of luck Charlie.

My opinion of a DG rifle and Iron sights are that if you put your head down the bead should lie in the V. You don't have time to search for sights when the poop hits the fan. My gunsmith forgot about my request when he built my stock, but I just made it work for me.

A comb riser is a very effective solution, I just didn't want to hide my piece of wood under it :)

All the best of luck Charlie.

My opinion of a DG rifle and Iron sights are that if you put your head down the bead should lie in the V. You don't have time to search for sights when the poop hits the fan. My gunsmith forgot about my request when he built my stock, but I just made it work for me.

A comb riser is a very effective solution, I just didn't want to hide my piece of wood under it :)
This is also the logic behind "NTCH", or "Nose To Charging Handle" that the military teaches. When you are facing a dangerous situation, you don't need to be Mickey Mousing around looking for your sights. They should automatically be there when you use correct anatomical land-marking on your face/rifle.

Yes, I totally agree. When you mount any gun with any type of sight it should be pointed at the target. Ideally, especially with a double rifle, the gun should fit you well enough so that you can shoot it like a shotgun, without aiming & be effective at close range. Maybe it's my left handed brain. What ever you are doing is apparently right as it is working & I wouldn't dare suggest that you change a thing but there must be something I don't understand. I like all of my guns stocked & sighted so that when I mount them, even with my eyes closed, they will be pointing where I am looking & the sight will be oriented in the same direction. Different strokes for different folks. The way I do things may not be the best way & it may not work for everybody. Do you mount the gun differently with a scope or aim dot than with iron sights? I mount my rifles the same way I mount my shotguns, regardless of the type of sighting system. I must be doing something right as my batting average on running game with a rifle is close to 100%.
Obviously, we are talking about a hunting rifle here that is to be carried in the field. What I said may not apply to special purpose guns like bench rest, target, sniper or military applications.
I am not questioning what you are doing or criticizing it, I'm just trying to understand it. Maybe I should use a different mount with a scope.

Yes, I totally agree. When you mount any gun with any type of sight it should be pointed at the target. Ideally, especially with a double rifle, the gun should fit you well enough so that you can shoot it like a shotgun, without aiming & be effective at close range. Maybe it's my left handed brain. What ever you are doing is apparently right as it is working & I wouldn't dare suggest that you change a thing but there must be something I don't understand. I like all of my guns stocked & sighted so that when I mount them, even with my eyes closed, they will be pointing where I am looking & the sight will be oriented in the same direction. Different strokes for different folks. The way I do things may not be the best way & it may not work for everybody. Do you mount the gun differently with a scope or aim dot than with iron sights? I mount my rifles the same way I mount my shotguns, regardless of the type of sighting system. I must be doing something right as my batting average on running game with a rifle is close to 100%.
Obviously, we are talking about a hunting rifle here that is to be carried in the field. What I said may not apply to special purpose guns like bench rest, target, sniper or military applications.
I am not questioning what you are doing or criticizing it, I'm just trying to understand it. Maybe I should use a different mount with a scope.
If what you are doing is safe, and works without dissapointment, one would question the sanity of doing something else, unless clear superiority of that something else could be demonstrated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg