Holland & Holland pair shotguns

cem rona ergin

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
south africa,russia,turkey
Now these are for sale . I definitely have to quit smoking and start saving :)
IMG_1712.JPG
IMG_1713.JPG
IMG_1714.JPG
IMG_1715.JPG
IMG_1716.JPG
IMG_1717.JPG

Cem, where do you come up with these things? Are you on Holland and Holland's Private Client Distribution List?

No I am not but I have a guy who deals with not so ordinary rifles :)

These babies are are in Istanbul .. can you believe it ?

There was a Halim Pasha who served as Grand Vizier of the Ottoman Empire from 1913-1917, based in what is now called Istanbul. Could be the same person. He would have been 33 when the guns were ordered. Just to add to the romance, he was assasinated in Rome in 1921!

There was a Halim Pasha who served as Grand Vizier of the Ottoman Empire from 1913-1917, based in what is now called Istanbul. Could be the same person. He would have been 33 when the guns were ordered. Just to add to the romance, he was assasinated in Rome in 1921!

Hank .. how come you know about him ?

My only caution without being able to check face and barrel soundness are the screw heads. Someone has been inside those actions who did not know what they were doing.

My only caution without being able to check face and barrel soundness are the screw heads. Someone has been inside those actions who did not know what they were doing.
I have just received the pictures.. I understand what you mean . When I go take a look at them I will take some more pictures and post .. thx for the warning Red Leg .
Oh and this one is also available now ..
IMG_1718.JPG
IMG_1719.JPG
IMG_1720.JPG
IMG_1721.JPG

Hank .. how come you know about him ?
I don’t really know about him, but have in the past done some research on some Ottoman Empire history, and the name was vaguely familiar. From there, it wasn’t hard to get the right dates. There would not have been too many people who would have been able to afford such guns even then, but a Pasha would be one!

I must have an over-developed sense of history, because these old guns - and frankly the makers - stirs something in me. And being able to put a name to the history makes it even better.

I don’t really know about him, but have in the past done some research on some Ottoman Empire history, and the name was vaguely familiar. From there, it wasn’t hard to get the right dates. There would not have been too many people who would have been able to afford such guns even then, but a Pasha would be one!

I must have an over-developed sense of history, because these old guns - and frankly the makers - stirs something in me. And being able to put a name to the history makes it even better.

If you are interested in old guns there was a Mauser that was given as a present to the ottoman sultan when he ordered Mauser rifles to Turkish army .. it was on an auction couple of years ago .. it was still in perfect condition.. if I can find the pictures I will post ..

A bit too spectacular for me! I love the history - the embelishment not so much!

At Purdey’s (a few blocks from me) , they have on display some beautiful old guns made for various Indian princes. Back “in the day” I believe India accounted for a lot more of these fine guns than did Africa. I don’t know to what extent the Ottomans acquired English guns, but I expect as in this case, they had more to do with European gunmakers than English ones.

A bit too spectacular for me! I love the history - the embelishment not so much!

At Purdey’s (a few blocks from me) , they have on display some beautiful old guns made for various Indian princes. Back “in the day” I believe India accounted for a lot more of these fine guns than did Africa. I don’t know to what extent the Ottomans acquired English guns, but I expect as in this case, they had more to do with European gunmakers than English ones.
Yes exactly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ga179sale

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you