Holland and Holland 375 Magazine Rifle guidance/opinions

I agree that is a nice looking rifle. Re the possibility of it being re-blued, I own rifles that were made in the mid 30s that look every bit as nice as this one and they haven't been re-blued. I do have a question though, what are the differences if any between a 375 H&H Rimless and a 375 H&H Magnum?

Its the same thing just other name. Rimless is for use in bolt action rifles and rimmed version was for use in double rifles.

Thanks Roan, I thought that might be the case, just didn't want to take the time to "look it up."

I agree that is a nice looking rifle. Re the possibility of it being re-blued, I own rifles that were made in the mid 30s that look every bit as nice as this one and they haven't been re-blued. I do have a question though, what are the differences if any between a 375 H&H Rimless and a 375 H&H Magnum?
They are the same. The .375 Rimmed or Flanged is for double rifles.

I say at that price...take it...I would have...

I like the looks of the rifle, except the recoil pad just doesn't look right to me, could just be the pictures but it looks like there is a gap on the right side and the toe line doesn't look correct. At that price I could overlook a few things though!

and the toe line doesn't look correct.

That is the first thing I noticed. Made me immediately think the pad has been replaced.

I would have never guessed you could find a functioning H&H Magnum Mauser for this kind of money.

That is the first thing I noticed. Made me immediately think the pad has been replaced.

I would have never guessed you could find a functioning H&H Magnum Mauser for this kind of money.

Not sure if the recoil pad has been replaced but it has definitely been damaged
image.jpeg

Hope this works

I wouldn't let the recoil pad effect my decision. They can be replaced and no one will ever know. One thing for sure, you are unlikely to find another one in this overall condition at a similar price. My "vote," BUY IT!!

I am leaning that way but am waiting to hear back from Holland and Holland on the serial number and anything they may be able to add. as well I wouldn't mind an opinion from @rookhawk

Contemplating making an offer on a used Holland and Holland 375 rimless bolt action and would like your guidance/opinions.
This is what I know so far:
Manufactured pre 1925
Serial # D10169 although can't find a reference for this serial number any where
Barrel is clean no pitting or excessive wear.
Wood looks good
No work done to it in the past 30 years
Here are a few pictures
Thanks

View attachment 250302 View attachment 250304 View attachment 250305 View attachment 250306 View attachment 250307 View attachment 250308 View attachment 250309 View attachment 250310
African old classic. Great rifle. I envy you.

Have you been able to fire the rifle?

Have you been able to fire the rifle?
No, it's on the other side of the country, I have family that are close that will help me out once the owner gets back from a moose hunt.

So it is in the Great White North?

So it is in the Great White North?
Yea, the OP is in Alberta, so I figure the rifle is in Canada too. If it were in the U.S. and I knew where, I would already have been tempted in driving or flying there to see it and shoot it! Although if I bought it, that would pretty much guarantee to cancel any African or Canadian hunts I might pull off for next year.

Only Americans get worked up over this % of original condition nonsense. British owners regularly sent rifles and shotguns back to the gunmaker for repair/ refurbishment as needed. A rifle like this may have been re-rust blued two or three times. Simply means it was well cared for. Only Collectors here treat hunting rifles like rare coins (Winchester’s and Colts are the worst). The English and Continental market is very different. If you don’t want it, please PM me with contact information.

Only Americans get worked up over this % of original condition nonsense. British owners regularly sent rifles and shotguns back to the gunmaker for repair/ refurbishment as needed. A rifle like this may have been re-rust blued two or three times. Simply means it was well cared for. Only Collectors here treat hunting rifles like rare coins (Winchester’s and Colts are the worst). The English and Continental market is very different. If you don’t want it, please PM me with contact information.
Absolutely agree...100%!!!!

If I bought this rifle it would go straight back to Holland & Holland for service and repair. Their work is impeccable. Did I mention that you don’t want this rifle? Please fwd the seller contact info!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BarrettAlfred

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross