SaintPanzer

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Dallas Safari Club; NRA Life Member; Mannlicher Collectors Association
Hunted
USA, Germany, Poland
Thank you for allowing me to register in the forums. By way of introduction, I am a retired military officer currently working in Germany, but I am looking forward to returning to my home in Idaho. In addition to hunting in the US, I am licensed to hunt in Germany, and make frequent trips to Poland to hunt there as well. I am also looking forward to hunting in other European countries while I am here, and hope to learn enough on this site to plan for a future hunt in Africa. While I have travelled through several African countries for work, my planned future hunt is an adventure I've had in my minds eye for quite some time.

Hello and welcome!

Welcome aboard SaintPanzer, Please tell us a little more about yourself as a hunter. things like what have you hunted previously, what kind and caliber rifles you own, do you reload. Do you have any specific time frame for your future African hunt? what species are you thinking about taking? There are a number of AH members with backgrounds similar to yours. BTW Thank you for your service.

SaintPanzer, welcome to the AH forum! Thanks for your service.
AH will definitely help you get on an Africa adventure! Enjoy!

Welcome SaintPanzer, lots of great information and people on this forum. Only downside is it's filled with enablers!!! I'll post examples of their work in the next few days.

Welcome aboard SaintPanzer, Please tell us a little more about yourself as a hunter. things like what have you hunted previously, what kind and caliber rifles you own, do you reload. Do you have any specific time frame for your future African hunt? what species are you thinking about taking? There are a number of AH members with backgrounds similar to yours. BTW Thank you for your service.
Thank you.

Is there anyone in the US that has not stalked a whitetail? Elk are next on my list.

Here in Europe, I stalk red stags, and have both stalked and used a stand on boar. I'm trying to set up an Austrian hunt for Gams this fall, need to figure that all out. Of course, Rehbock have also been victims, and there was that Dachs...

My safe here is small, so I use a .30-06 as an "all rounder". It is a Steyr-Mannlicher Classic II. I've just scoped (and it took forever to find a true Johann Springer Erben mount) a Mannlicher Schoenauer 9.5X57 carbine. At home, I have a matching 6.5X54. Both are pre-war, the big one has a very low serial number, the small is stamped "Made In Germany", so that should give you a good idea as to the dates. Those all work for now, but others will join them. I have set aside quite a bit for that retirement present to myself, and was all sold on a Dakota Traveler in .300 H&H and .375 H&H, but, well, Dakota... So I'll find something else to fill that role. What I should do is find an '03 Springfield action, and have that sporterized, as that would be a perfect bookend to the career... we'll see. I do have sitting in the safe at home an FN Mauser action that I was going to have done up in 9.3X64... too many decisions.

Timeline for the Africa Hunt is 3 to 5 years. Perhaps sooner, not later. Right now, I am thinking Namibia, and Sable - but I don't think I have a final decision on that yet. I think it was Mogadishu that taught me that no one promises you tomorrow, so I try to not look too far ahead.

Oh, and to answer the inevitable screen-name questions, I tried to add a website to my profile, but it wouldn't save. A visit to www.saintpanzer.com should probably answer the "why".

Welcome to AH SaintPanzer! This a great place to do your due diligence. Enjoy exploring the site.

Welcome to the best hunting site going, hold onto your wallet as the enablers on here will have you booking your first safari sooner than you think.

Welcome

Timeline for the Africa Hunt is 3 to 5 years. Perhaps sooner, not later. Right now, I am thinking Namibia, and Sable - but I don't think I have a final decision on that yet.

Hi....some not too bad sable in Zambia......

Welcome to AH!

Welcome to the AH community. Post well, post often. Good luck with your African dream!

Welcome to AH !

Hello SaintPanzer,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

The .30-06 with 180, and 220 grain bullets is an excellent performer in Africa.
Likewise, in the unlikely event that the airlines loose your luggage containing the ammunition, .30-06 cartridges (and rifles) are often in reserve at hunting camps, for clients to rent.

However, your vintage MS Rifle in 9.5x57, (AKA: “.375 Express ?) just begs to visit Africa, especially for the larger antelopes plus zebra.
I am envious.

Meanwhile, the .375 H&H pared with a .300 H&H is a 100 year old tried and true concept, very classic.
For my first trip to Africa, I brought a Mauser in .300 H&H, with a 4x Zeiss scope in old model Talley lever rings.
Using 180 gr Nosler Partition bullets @ a tic over 2800 fps, it was a proverbial lightening bolt on everything I shot with it.

Furthermore, speaking of the .375 H&H, it is my favorite hunting cartridge, including but not limited to Africa’s so called “plains game”.
I have shot quite a few Alaskan critters with it also.

As for the Dakota brand of rifles, those are (perhaps formerly were?) very well made and good looking rifles as well.
However, IMO they are not worth 8 to 10 thousand bucks.
I had my .300 H&H built from scratch (1950’s FN Commercial ‘98 Mauser action) for several thousand USA dollars less than a Dakota cost at the time.
At first glance, only the Griffin & Howe style front sight gave it away as not being a Pre-War Oberndorf Mauser Magnum.

I’m rambling as old geezers tend to do.
So, I will just say that since you enjoy vintage Mannlicher-Shoenauer rifles and cartridges, you definitely belong in this forum.
Thank you for joining.

Safe Hunting,
Velo Dog.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudeWjg34

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross