Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI,DSC, QDMA, QU
Hunted
Africa, Europe, Asia, North America
Hey gang,

I'm heading over again in the end of July to bowhunt with Spiral Horn Safaris (site sponsor). As the hunt draws closer, i'm debating what to hunt. Of course I will take a fair number of different plains game species and hopefully some oddball animals (bushpig, caracal, etc) with my bow.

The debate comes in the form of what my "big" animal will be. I'm debating between a lioness and a sable.

Yes, i know what to expect and what the lion hunt would be. BUT, my main concern is that the way things seem to be going, lion hunting might not be around forever. However, a sable is a truly magnificent animal that I would truly love to have.

With a bow, either will be a fantastic trophy.

What do you guys and gals think....lioness or sable?

If it was a big male lion, I would vote that way (but obviously the cost would also be much different too), but since you are debating between a lioness and a sable, I would choose the sable - especially if you can get him with a bow. Just my $0.02.

nd

Good point.

But, it would be another of the Big 5 down and a pretty exciting hunt i would think. Then there is taxidermy...a sable pedestal would be much cheaper than a lion rug or full body lion.

Sable are truly beautiful though. And to have the opportunity with a bow would be great.

Jeesh. I dunno.

If you plan on hunting a lioness some day....do it as soon as possible.

The politicians might make it impossible in the future.

My vote for Sable
I will be with Louis just after you. Good luck and enjoy.

I've hunted a lioness before and it was an amazing adventure and I'd suggest that you get it done before the laws make it tough in RSA. Not sure of the fee, but my lioness hunt and a full life size mount was far less expensive then the going rate for a sable bull. I would speculate as more and more game farms are breeding sable the prices would stay stable for some time to come. Add in the lioness counts as one of the big five or dangerous seven and it's a winner in my book.

Safe Adventuring!

Louis round him up a nice big SABLE for me.

I would hunt the sable.

Namibia will have lions. I still don't think they will ban the hunts.

Good points by all. I feel Sable will always be available, not sure about lions. With CITES changes and the drastic loss in numbers of wild lions who knows the future of lion hunting. I just don't want to look back like those hunters of a generation before where they could have hunted Tigers and then regret not taking the opportunity when it was available.

BUT Sable are truly magnificent animals that would no doubt be a big challenge with bow. The mount would be beautiful in my office or home.

I can't decide!

If it was a big male lion, I would vote that way (but obviously the cost would also be much different too), but since you are debating between a lioness and a sable, I would choose the sable - especially if you can get him with a bow. Just my $0.02.

nd

My feelings exactly. Sable over Lioness. If you were talking Sable vs Male Lion I would want a male Lion (not that I will be able to afford one myself) but a Lioness really does nothing for me personally

Personally - i'd go for the Sable as well.

Look at below pics, now imagine which one will look the best in your trophy room...

I think the Sable's bells & whistles are loud and clear!

My :2c:

Attachments

• 024-lioness.jpg
    024-lioness.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 119
  • 270px-Sable_bull.jpg
    270px-Sable_bull.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Having done both with a bow, I would say the lion. You have laid out many of the reasons why above.

Having the chance to take one of the big five with a bow is a true honor.

I have had no experience with both but i'd go for a sable
all the best
ibie

Sable - hands down...

Sable would definately be my choice. Hunting with a bow would make it memorable.good luck, i'll be there next year.

Thanks for everyone's opinions. To be honest, i figured it would have been more lioness and less sable....but you never know. I will let you know my decision in early August...with some trophy photos!

Tom, I look forward to your final vote and the proof of it all. Good luck.

I would pick the sable hands down.

If the hunt is what you are after then ask how it will be conducted.
Tracking Lion is far more sporting and fun than "diesel stalking" a Sable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RamiroMcGu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg