History and comparison of the 35 Whelen to the 30-06 and 375 H&H

Ron Spomer just came out with a new video about the ballistics of the 35 Whelen.
Interesting

That would do me for all the plains game in Africa. CE & Hawk have a range of bullets for handloading, and Norma have a single factory cartridge. Hawk in particular have a large selection of .358 bullets. Things I like about this caliber is the easy conversion of a standard 30-06 to the 35 Whelen, and ditto with the brass. It fills that gap between the 30-06 and 375H&H nicely imho.

That would do me for all the plains game in Africa. CE & Hawk have a range of bullets for handloading, and Norma have a single factory cartridge. Hawk in particular have a large selection of .358 bullets. Things I like about this caliber is the easy conversion of a standard 30-06 to the 35 Whelen, and ditto with the brass. It fills that gap between the 30-06 and 375H&H nicely imho.
Woodleigh bullets also put out a large range of round powerpoint and FMJ bullets for this cal

Ron Spomer just came out with a new video about the ballistics of the 35 Whelen.
Interesting

@davsel
It's a good video but Ron is talking about the standard OLD Whelen round not a properly loaded Whelen.
A whelen loaded to 2,700fps with a 250 grain or 2,900fps with a 225 make the whelen an entirely different kettle of fish.
The Whelen is a reloaders dream to reach its potential.
Bob

@davsel
It's a good video but Ron is talking about the standard OLD Whelen round not a properly loaded Whelen.
A whelen loaded to 2,700fps with a 250 grain or 2,900fps with a 225 make the whelen an entirely different kettle of fish.
The Whelen is a reloaders dream to reach its potential.
Bob

True but you have to compare things apples to apples. Can’t compare one caliber in factory loading to another using hotter hand loads. That gets done way to often and is misleading. I see the same done with comparing different caliber bullets with respect to ballistic coefficient and sectional density. 6.5 creed lovers talk about the superior SD and BC of a 148 grain 6.5 bullet vs a .30 cal 150 grain. But that’s a lousy comparison. You have to compare vs a heavier .30 cal bullet that will equal or exceed the creed numbers.

True but you have to compare things apples to apples. Can’t compare one caliber in factory loading to another using hotter hand loads. That gets done way to often and is misleading. I see the same done with comparing different caliber bullets with respect to ballistic coefficient and sectional density. 6.5 creed lovers talk about the superior SD and BC of a 148 grain 6.5 bullet vs a .30 cal 150 grain. But that’s a lousy comparison. You have to compare vs a heavier .30 cal bullet that will equal or exceed the creed numbers.
@Lee M
Both the 06 and the 375 are loaded to the same pressures. If you load the Whelen to the same pressures as those then it is a fair comparison. The Hornady superformance is loaded to the same pressures so put that into the equation.
The Whelen has been under loaded since it came ot as a factory cartridge.
When comparing cartridges they should all be at the same pressures to be equal.
Take the 25 ought six with a 117 grain projectile at 3,000 fps and 52,000 cup and compare it to a factory loaded 257 Roberts with the same projectiles. The 117grain is doing 26 to 2,700fps at 48,000 cup. Load it properly to 52,000 cup and you are up at 2,900fps. A much fairer comparison.
Bob

Its quite a stretch to presume 2700 fps with 250gr bullets from a 35Whelen. I can find no data that does that safely. Perhaps 2450-2500 but not 2700. A very good cartridge but not magic.
@Joker12
Seek and ye shall find my son
Screenshot_20210711-135801_Drive.jpg

I will even give you a load for the 225 at up to 2,900fps
Screenshot_20210205-065850_Chrome.jpg

Your wish is granted and if they weren't safe the companies wouldn't publish them. I have used both loads and chronoed them.
My 225 grain accubond is at 2,870fps and my 225gn woodleigh PPSP is 2,900fps
These are SAFE IN MY RIFLE but the usual applies start low and work up watching for pressure sign
Bob

Oh bloody heaven! We can load all of those calibers to a higher potential. The only things good about the Whelan is a bigger bullet in a standard action and the ability to use .38 special bullets for plinking. Beyond that it's still a veritable wildcat and I challenge you to find it shelved anywhere regularly. Of course if you did you'd have to remind us that it's not full potential. Nothing is if it's commercial. The lawyers have us saving ourselves from ourselves. The greatest thing about this video is that baby Ben is put to sleep by the voice of the narrator. Long live the .243! All hail the .30-06. God save the .375(H&H not Ruger)!

I don't own a 35 Whelen and I've never shot one. The only one I've seen in the wild was a Ruger #1. The caliber intrigues me but I don't need another caliber no matter how interesting it appears to be. However, if I thought I needed a caliber between .30 and .375 it would be a 35 Whelen. It's a very cool old school caliber that's wonderfully effective and, most importantly, not everyone has one. That last point alone makes me want one.

It's a very cool old school caliber that's wonderfully effective and, most importantly, not everyone has one. That last point alone makes me want one.
I used to hunt with a man that often forgot his shells. It started with 2¾" 12 gauge buckshot and 8x57. So I moved to 3½" buckshot and a .30-06. As time went on he acquired a 3½" shotgun and a .30-06 so I started to hunt with a .357 magnum and a .300 WM. Darned if he didn't get a .357 too. There is a great deal of value in having unixque chamberings in some situations.

Also inn the video he refers the the lack of a belt causing smoother feeding than the .375. I can't believe that at all. Have you seen the shoulder of the .375? It's literally the Queen of smooth feeding. Come on Ron...

Last edited:
Oh bloody heaven! We can load all of those calibers to a higher potential. The only things good about the Whelan is a bigger bullet in a standard action and the ability to use .38 special bullets for plinking. Beyond that it's still a veritable wildcat and I challenge you to find it shelved anywhere regularly. Of course if you did you'd have to remind us that it's not full potential. Nothing is if it's commercial. The lawyers have us saving ourselves from ourselves. The greatest thing about this video is that baby Ben is put to sleep by the voice of the narrator. Long live the .243! All hail the .30-06. God save the .375(H&H not Ruger)!
@Forrest Halley.
You is a,funny Vegemite mate. Intelligent people don't buy factory rounds because they is to expensive. That's why we reload.
Yes long live the 375 and the ought sux. The other one needs to grow up and become a 358.
Bob
20210115_123439.jpg

Don't know why I haven't seen this previously, so I'll chime in now. As a general rule I avoid shooting anything that has "Magnum" in its name. Do I own magnums, the answer is yes several as a matter of fact. But for my normal hunting needs I.e. White Tail deer and Hogs at woods ranges I'm quite content with non-magnum calibers. I get 2730 FPS and sub MOA pushing a 225 Gr. Barnes out of my 35 Whelen. Which BTW is simply a re-barreled '03 Springfield. My 35 Whelen has been to Africa twice and acquitted itself very nicely, while the magnums sat home in the safe.

I have a .257 Roberts - Dakota 76 short action. Zippy little cartridge. Also have a .25-'06 Ruger No. 1. Also zippy enough for the smallish Coues deer I hunt locally.

Obviously, 35 Whelen is popular. I wonder, why no factory makes ammo for 35 Whelen?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryellenD

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you