Hiking Rifle cartridges

If money were no object...Fanzoj Kipplauf KB-1 in 5.6x52R and another barrel of 7x64R.
1642325563125.png

@Brian Rothhammer

Thank you for great post on the MS world of fine creations. Ive had a 1950 .30-06 before,but i found out the bore were much worn before i got it and took the toll on joy with it so years later i sold it off ,more or less as parts.

But i wish it had been a 7mm or 8x57IS or so.

You're quite welcome.

I have my Grandfather's cased M1910 Take Down Model with which I would never part. It is a century old this year, bearing a 1922 Vienna proof date.
Grand Dad purchased it 'second hand' in 1931 when he was a Goodyear executive at Colombo, Ceylon.

Johnny's Cat 001.jpg

Well sir I'll give you my personnel take on this subject. I'm a died in the wool Scout rifle shooter. Been shooting carrying Scout rifles for over 35 years. Learned about the platform when I trained under Jeff Cooper. I currently shoot a Steyr Scout in 308 Win. With all up weight of just above 7lbs it's all day comfy to carry. Short OAL means it won't catch on every limb/vine you pass under. In 308 you're good to go against anything short of the great bears up north. With a low power extended eye relief scope mounted out in front of the receiver it's super fast for snap shots on moving game. Work with a Scout rifle and learn to run it and you'll wonder why you didn't try one sooner. I think you'll enjoy it.
Sounds awfully close to my original MS model 1905 in 9x56 ms.

You're quite welcome.

I have my Grandfather's cased M1910 Take Down Model with which I would never part. It is a century old this year, bearing a 1922 Vienna proof date.
Grand Dad purchased it 'second hand' in 1931 when he was a Goodyear executive at Colombo, Ceylon.

View attachment 446780
Brian what is the barrel length on your M1910?

My hiking rifle is my BBF in 12 over 06. It’s about perfect. May a third barrel set in 20 over Hornet

Brian what is the barrel length on your M1910?

Barrel length is 60 cm (just shy of 24").

It has claw mounted Gerard 'B' scope, 'special folding peep sight' (as listed on page 50 and shown on page 51 of 1939 Stoeger ad in post #99 and in WR .318 Express ad of post #104 above) and extra front sight bead in grip cap (as shown in phantom view of Mannlicher Sshoenauer, post #104 above)

Barrel length is 60 cm (just shy of 24").

It has claw mounted Gerard 'B' scope, 'special folding peep sight' (as listed on page 50 and shown on page 51 of 1939 Stoeger ad in post #99 and in WR .318 Express ad of post #104 above) and extra front sight bead in grip cap (as shown in phantom view of Mannlicher Sshoenauer, post #104 above)
I would love to find a similar one with the folding peep sight. My favorite iron sight. I do alright with the shallow V with gold centerline but mostly because I have to. Grew up shooting peeps.

Perhaps I can jump back in, I started this thread wanting a rifle I could hike with all day and still manage to take game along the way. Where I hunt our biggest game is Black Bear in the 2-300 pound range; but its been a long time since Ive heard of a real threat from a bear. More recently we have been experiencing attacks from packs of feral/stray dogs.

I do question some of the cartridges thus far suggested. No doubt they a perfect choices for each of you but I think Id pass. Im not at all opposed to big bore cartridges, heck Ive been known to hunt deer with a 470 NE. Im also not opposed to 7x57 or 6.5x55 for medium, perhaps even large (North American) game (Didnt I see that 22 High Power was used for Tigers?).

Im also not opposed to SCOUT rifles although Im pretty much convinced a small Red Dot has supplanted the forward Scout optic. Im was a big fan of the 350 Rem Magnum but where do you find that on the shelves, likewise the 376 Steyr on the shelf? Im more and more liking single shots (Ruger No1 and Encores) for this concept, usually without optics or perhaps a small Red Dot. Ive used both longer 24-26" barrels in 7x57 and 30-30, as well as a short 460 and 500SW the latter when in Hog country. The 460 and 500 are more just because I can and sorta stand in for my double 10ga.
For packing around and wanting something with a little more punch and reach than a handgun, you can't beat a Winchester 94 Trapper in 30-30. Less than 6 pounds, 16" barrel, about 32" overall, iron sights (not sniping the far canyon at 400+ yards after all), easily taking anything in NA out to 250 yards with 170gr slugs. Can even put a sling on it, but the 94 is one of the easiest and best balanced peashooters to just carry; even better with the 16" tube.
With proper treatment, they become even better looking. This one has accounted for several deer, an antelope, and 3 elk. One of these days I want to add a mountain lion to it's credentials.
MVC-181S.JPG

MVC-172S.JPG

MVC-180S.JPG

I like the sights. I love the gun.
Looking back and thinking about it, I'd like to find another Rem 600 Mohawk 308 with 18 or 20" bbl. It was light and kicked like a mule but I think I'd restock it so it fit better. Sure was handy to carry and it shot well.

Looking back and thinking about it, I'd like to find another Rem 600 Mohawk 308 with 18 or 20" bbl. It was light and kicked like a mule but I think I'd restock it so it fit better. Sure was handy to carry and it shot well.
@Newboomer
Go the full hog mate and get one in 350 rem mag.

@Newboomer
Go the full hog mate and get one in 350 rem mag.
30 cal is much more available off the shelf and for reloading. I have 308 and 06 so I can use the same projectile in both. If I need a bigger boomer I have my 375HH.

Didn’t they built a few of those in 35 rem and 358 winchester?

Didn’t they built a few of those in 35 rem and 358 winchester?
I don't know. Back in the 1960s I had a 6mmRem in a 600. That was a sweet little rig and I had a lot of fun with it.

Talked to my brother in law and he has one in 35 rem so there is that. He says that loaded with points bullets it is pure poison on hogs out to 200 yards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanMatt

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg