Hiking Rifle cartridges

2 choices depending on circumstances:
1. Winchester Model 1892 with 20 inch Douglas barrel in .357 Magnum
7BA36008-6012-4259-8E48-0558932C471E.jpeg

2. Winchester 1895 .405 WCF loaded with appropriate ammo
E7F11B32-CF8B-4D42-AD18-628E2B01E1D2.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for kicks and giggles I just weighed all my hunting rifles except my 375HH (11 lbs). 6.5Cr, 308, 7RM, 30-06. Scoped and loaded they all came in about 9.5 lbs. My 5.56 is just over 8 lbs. The "real" hiking/stalking rifle was a Rem 600 Mohawk 308 at about 6.5 lbs with an 18 in bbl. With a heavy load it belted pretty good. So, I guess that means if I want a lightweight I'm just going to have to break down and buy another gun. Like that is really going to hurt.

CZ 458 Lott with AHR #2. It was a comfort in Wyoming grizzly country. Handy enough, five down in the mag. My only objection, the 23" barrel was alittle long.View attachment 446101View attachment 446109
You could desolder that front sight, lop 2" off the barrel, have it recrown and solder that front sight back on.

But yeah that is a rugged looking 458. Where in wyomkng is that? Looks like maybe the Wind River Range?

I guess it depends on where you’re hiking. In the Everglades, in and out of kayaks or just muddling around in the swamps, my choice for a carry-all-day rifle is a Barrett Fieldcraft 6.5CM, 18” barrel, Nightforce 2.5-10X32 scope, about 7 lbs all in.
DF1A6BE7-2991-40D0-8409-A20CCA345615.jpeg

You could desolder that front sight, lop 2" off the barrel, have it recrown and solder that front sight back on.

But yeah that is a rugged looking 458. Where in wyomkng is that? Looks like maybe the Wind River Range?
Yes the Winds. I have thought about cutting an inch and a half off. I may look into it but probably not worth it to refinish the rifle. I had a 20" barrel wood stocked 500 up there, it was worrisome. Now it has one hunt under its belt I'll revisit taking it. I did run into three guys with 6.5 Creedmoor's. We both though the other was off his rocker with the chosen caliber. We were all hunting elk, but crossing grizzly tracks and constant bear sign I didn't want a scoped rifle.

Yes the Winds. I have thought about cutting an inch and a half off. I may look into it but probably not worth it to refinish the rifle. I had a 20" barrel wood stocked 500 up there, it was worrisome. Now it has one hunt under its belt I'll revisit taking it. I did run into three guys with 6.5 Creedmoor's. We both though the other was off his rocker with the chosen caliber. We were all hunting elk, but crossing grizzly tracks and constant bear sign I didn't want a scoped rifle.
When I was there hunting elk outside pinedale, we were more worried about the moose. The place was crawling with them and we had some hairy close encounters. I guess a .458 Lott would probably sort a moose out as well...

Its funny you mention the creedmoor. My guide sort of scoffed that I had brought my 6.5x55 as a backup rifle. He didn't think it had the oomph to get the job done reliably.

We did some work in Pinedale, beautiful country. Your "old" 6.5 has a respectable place in history. The Creedmoor is just beat to death in advertising. I have friends who have used it on elk and they are impressed. It doesn't stop me from being a negative Nancy about the cartridge every chance I get.

CZ 458 Lott with AHR #2. It was a comfort in Wyoming grizzly country. Handy enough, five down in the mag. My only objection, the 23" barrel was alittle long.View attachment 446101View attachment 446109
Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow...I will fear no evil...for my .458 will thump the snot out of it!
When I was there hunting elk outside pinedale, we were more worried about the moose. The place was crawling with them and we had some hairy close encounters. I guess a .458 Lott would probably sort a moose out as well...

Its funny you mention the creedmoor. My guide sort of scoffed that I had brought my 6.5x55 as a backup rifle. He didn't think it had the oomph to get the job done reliably.
Probably...maybe...haha

Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow...I will fear no evil...for my .458 will thump the snot out of it!

Probably...maybe...haha
@Forrest Halley
You may fear no evil cause y'all have that 458 with you BUT.
Yea I walk thru the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil BECAUSE I'M THE MEANEST SON OF A BITCH IN THE GAWD DAM VALLEY . See I don't need no 458 or a MIGHTY WHELEN to walk thru the valley.
BOB

@Forrest Halley
Yea I walk thru the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil BECAUSE I'M THE MEANEST SON OF A BITCH IN THE GAWD DAM VALLEY . See I don't need no 458 or a MIGHTY WHELEN to walk thru the valley.
BOB
I thought it was g'dam like g'day... :A Stirring:

@Forrest Halley
BOB
Hope this link works, Casper tribune article. Maybe it's the whites of his eyes but I'd rather not see this guy up close. Or this one, from buddies trail camera in WY. Mr Griz showed up at black bear bait. I zoomed in some on the immage. I'm not as mean as I think I am, or I'd like to be. Quite humbling, mind you I have never crossed paths. Just fresh sign, enough to be very alert while I made my way, rifle at low ready.
httpstrib.jpg
Screenshot_20220112-035943_Gallery.jpg

Fun Thread.... incredible possibilities and many different scenarios can be played out, talked about, and considered..............

One of my favorites in many scenarios would be this one................

Winchester M70 WSSM action 458 B&M Super Short......... 16 inch barrel, weighs in at 6 lbs and 36 inches overall length.

Shoots a CEB 250 Socom at 2600 fps.......... Pretty spiffy I reckon..............

DSCN0260-X2.jpg
DSCN7587-X3.jpg

Lets talk about stalking rifle cartridges. Short action, Long action, Rimfire? Small game or large? How'bout suppressed? In another thread we debated "Stalking Rifles". I'm was clearly pushing the limits of the original Stalking Rifle definition, so I'm happy to be part of a new classification. Lets call these "new" rifles Hiking or Pursuit Rifles. For me that means a rifle you can carry all day over "rough" terrain (whatever that means to you--hills, thick brush, etc) and take quick shot on startled game as well as maybe taking "quiet" shots if a suppressor is an option to you. I'm picturing walking and also blind/stand hunting. The rifle can be whatever action type you prefer and/or are allowed. For "most" of my hunting that means no semi autos. I happen to be a huge fan of Single Shots, and theres nothing cooler in my mind than a full stocked bolt gun.

I started this journey wanting a rifle to take on hikes; because I wanted to hike with a rifle, it just seems like something a man should do. I jumped on a Rem 700 heavy barrel in 223, figuring I could add a suppressor to the factory threaded heavy barrel if I wanted. I'm used to humping heavy rifles; but this one just seemed too heavy for this project with its Hogue over molded stock (and the heavy tactical scope I added). Once I realized my mistake, I went shopping again. This time I found the almost perfect rifle. It was another Rem 700 in 223; but much lighter with a slim sporter barrel, all I had to do was find a smith to trim the barrel back to 16 inches and add a lighter scope. I really love that rifle; but theres a lot I cant hunt with it, so I went looking for something else.

I just got back from a range day with my new bride, whos also a new shooter. She took fast to handguns; but rifles are a slower learning curve for her. I think part of it is "learning" to use a scope and finding a good fitting rifle. She seems to really love my Remington/AAC Model 7, in 300 Blackout. They must have had her in mind when they designed the rifle.
View attachment 161477
The rifle's proportions "fit" her and the adjustable cheek piece made a perfect fit. I use a Gemtech 300 suppressor. The already short rifle hardy feels out of place with the suppressor mounted. I was initially dubious of the cartridge. My first leap into it was at the height of the ammo shortage. Now that its a "Walmart" cartridge, I'm much happier using it for hunting 2 and 4 legged animals.... Its a great cartridge/rifle combo; but I think its limited for longer shots and bigger game.

I'm also a new convert to 7mm08. I got into it by accident because of a deal to good to pass on a Rem 700 rifle. I had planned to turn it into a "Tactical" hunting rifle with a short barrel with a suppressor in a MagPul stock; but my bride likes it...

Ive always wanted something in 6.5x55. I'm not sure what 6.5x55 will do that 7mm-08 wont; but who really needs an excuse to buy another rifle?

There a few cartridges that Ive "always wanted". I'm not sure they fall into the Hiking Rifle category; but I'm willing to give'em a try. Ever since the Jeff Cooper Scout rifle days, Ive wanted something in 350 Remington Magnum. I also have an urge for 35 Whelen, and 9.3x62. I guess they would be "Heavy Hikers".

So whats your Stalking Hiking Pursuit Carry all day rifle and cartridge?
Well sir I'll give you my personnel take on this subject. I'm a died in the wool Scout rifle shooter. Been shooting carrying Scout rifles for over 35 years. Learned about the platform when I trained under Jeff Cooper. I currently shoot a Steyr Scout in 308 Win. With all up weight of just above 7lbs it's all day comfy to carry. Short OAL means it won't catch on every limb/vine you pass under. In 308 you're good to go against anything short of the great bears up north. With a low power extended eye relief scope mounted out in front of the receiver it's super fast for snap shots on moving game. Work with a Scout rifle and learn to run it and you'll wonder why you didn't try one sooner. I think you'll enjoy it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross