Hiking Rifle cartridges

My stalking rifle is a Remington 700 Mountain Rifle in .243, with a Leupold LPS 2-10x45

I bought a used Titanium Remington 700 in 270 Win to be my sheep rifle. It weighs about 5-1/2 lbs without a scope. Maybe 7 lbs with the scope and loaded. I used it on my Yukon Dall Sheep hunt a few years ago and hope to take it to NZ next year for Red Stag and Tahr. I topped it with a Leupold 3x10x40 VX3 scope.

The one that fills the bill for me is a Husqvarna 4100 in .30'06. Light and accurate, there's nothing in my hunting area it can't handle. BTW, this is probably the ugliest coyote ever taken!

MyZjzLN.jpg

Coyote! I would never have known if you hadn’t told us.

I carry the flavor of the day and depends on if it is a day hike or over night. It will vary between my carry 38spl (Smith), a 4" double action 22 revolver (Colt or Smith), 357 mag revolver (Ruger or Colt), or 4" 41 mag revolver (Smith)... or just a camera. There are bears in the mountains in my area and you do have to pay attention. There have been a couple deaths in the Blue Ridge portion of East TN. But I feel pretty comfortable carrying my 22 revolver for the most part. I am not particularly worried about 2-legged predators and in most cases I feel I can make do with the 22.

For fishing, I'd want a very light firearm that is seldom shot. It would be there mostly for the off chance of a rabid raccoon or skunk mostly.

I acquired a dandy stalking/alpine rifle awhile back that I had to snatch up because it was just so damned strange.

Its an Abercrombie & Fitch of Beverly Hills Mauser in .270 Winchester. It has best quality finish. Ultra high-gloss barrel and action. Jeweled bolt, follower and bolt release. (nothing strange there). Straight, plain, oil finished stock in a traditional geometry instead of as the "roy weatherby" dimensions and finish. (that's weird). DUAL cross bolts. (really weird). Modern era gun by Dumoulin but on a military mauser to commercial action transition action circa 1947. (but made in 1980...really weird). 14-3/4" LOP. (Really weird) No sights, just scope. The stock is the slightest, most dainty of any type I've ever seen. (really weird)

You put all the weird together and here is what it actually is/was: Someone ordered a best quality gun that was built for a tall American person. They wanted best quality, but ultra lightweight, and accurate. So it is so diminutive in dimensions they had to use straight grain wood and dual crossbolts to manage the recoil. Yet the metal work is all best quality. They even had it made on a vintage action instead of a contemporary dumoulin action to shave the additional weight via the thumb cut out, no hump on the rear ring, and removal of the stripper slot. Ultra thin pencil barrel to shave weight some more, but still 23" barrel and still 14-3/4" stock. No iron sights to shave more weight. The gun weighs around 6lbs.

That in my mind is a stalking / alpine / hiking gun for elk, antelope. or any of the creatures of Europe out to 400 yards. It is uncommon to find a gun that was built with old world craftsmanship for this particular use case in the modern era.

*Abercrombie & Fitch had a presence in Beverly Hills for only about 1.5 years. They then liquidated their traditional goods and started selling the clothing we all loathe today.

Last edited:
Yes, the Abercrombie Finch was a well respected store for those of us that loved the out-of-doors in the more traditional ways. When I was going to school in Chicago in the mid 70s the second floor of A&F was a great place, although if you didn't have an approved to own a firearm resident's card (which as a non-resident student, I didn't have) you were not allowed to touch the guns, particularly the handguns. The first gun that I owned that I considered premium quality was a Browning Superposed Magnum Lightning 20 that has "Made for Abercrombie & Fitch" engraved on the barrel. It and Eddie Bauer were great places. such the pity that they are mere shells of what once was.

Lets talk about stalking rifle cartridges. Short action, Long action, Rimfire? Small game or large? How'bout suppressed? In another thread we debated "Stalking Rifles". I'm wclearly pushing the limits of the original Stalking Rifle definition, so I'm happy to be part of a new classification. Lets call these "new" rifles Hiking or Pursuit Rifles. For me that means a rifle you can carry all day over "rough" terrain (whatever that means to you--hills, thick brush, etc) and take quick shot on startled game as well as maybe taking "quiet" shots if a suppressor is an option to you. I'm picturing walking and also blind/stand hunting. The rifle can be whatever action type you prefer and/or are allowed. For "most" of my hunting that means no semi autos. I happen to be a huge fan of Single Shots, and theres nothing cooler in my mind than a full stocked bolt gun.

I started this journey wanting a rifle to take on hikes; because I wanted to hike with a rifle, it just seems like something a man should do. I jumped on a Rem 700 heavy barrel in 223, figuring I could add a suppressor to the factory threaded heavy barrel if I wanted. I'm used to humping heavy rifles; but this one just seemed too heavy for this project with its Hogue over molded stock (and the heavy tactical scope I added). Once I realized my mistake, I went shopping again. This time I found the almost perfect rifle. It was another Rem 700 in 223; but much lighter with a slim sporter barrel, all I had to do was find a smith to trim the barrel back to 16 inches and add a lighter scope. I really love that rifle; but theres a lot I cant hunt with it, so I went looking for something else.

I just got back from a range day with my new bride, whos also a new shooter. She took fast to handguns; but rifles are a slower learning curve for her. I think part of it is "learning" to use a scope and finding a good fitting rifle. She seems to really love my Remington/AAC Model 7, in 300 Blackout. They must have had her in mind when they designed the rifle.
AAC-Micro7.jpg

The rifle's proportions "fit" her and the adjustable cheek piece made a perfect fit. I use a Gemtech 300 suppressor. The already short rifle hardy feels out of place with the suppressor mounted. I was initially dubious of the cartridge. My first leap into it was at the height of the ammo shortage. Now that its a "Walmart" cartridge, I'm much happier using it for hunting 2 and 4 legged animals.... Its a great cartridge/rifle combo; but I think its limited for longer shots and bigger game.

I'm also a new convert to 7mm08. I got into it by accident because of a deal to good to pass on a Rem 700 rifle. I had planned to turn it into a "Tactical" hunting rifle with a short barrel with a suppressor in a MagPul stock; but my bride likes it...

Ive always wanted something in 6.5x55. I'm not sure what 6.5x55 will do that 7mm-08 wont; but who really needs an excuse to buy another rifle?

There a few cartridges that Ive "always wanted". I'm not sure they fall into the Hiking Rifle category; but I'm willing to give'em a try. Ever since the Jeff Cooper Scout rifle days, Ive wanted something in 350 Remington Magnum. I also have an urge for 35 Whelen, and 9.3x62. I guess they would be "Heavy Hikers".

So whats your Stalking Hiking Pursuit Carry all day rifle and cartridge?
@EDELWEISS
My perfect hiking rifle is my 25/303Epps Newton improved for everything under 1,000 pounds. Yes it weighs 8 and a half pounds field ready but it balances well. A fast stepping 25 is ideal for up close or a long way off using a good bullet like a 100 grain Barnes TTSX or 120 grain swift A frame or Sirroco or 110 grain accubonds.
Bob.

I onw and use one of your so called "Heavy Hiker's" its a Encore in 35 Whelen, it's my go to rifle for all my hunting. Its light but not to light, easy to carry all day, shoots straight and hits hard. I have a 270 and 300 WM barrels as well but the whelen has replaced them both.View attachment 161475
@ Art Lambert II
Didn't you tell your dad you had no use for that 35 Encore because he won't load the 250gn Speer hotcore properly for you so you are sending it over to me to trial with them and don't want it back.
Mate they is one sweet little Whelen. The beauty of the Whelen is you only need one shot, no need for fast follow up shots. If you hit it properly with the Whelen it's one and done, go pick up your animal.
Bob

I did a slot similar project for the same reasons. I wanted a light weight rifle I could easily carry on a back pack that still had the accuracy and enough punch to be effective. I had a win 70, push feed, short action in .243 as a donor to start with.

I had it rebarrled into .338 Federal with a 20" stainless Douglas XX barrel. Ceracoted the barrel and action flat black (armor black is the correct name) put a HS Precision Kevlar stock on it. Topped it with a Leupold Vari-X II 3-9 with a Leupold Dot reticle, and Talley light weight 1 piece rings. And a Browning adjustable sling.
Ready to hunt fully loaded with 5+1 it's just barely over 7lbs.

Like I said I intended to just use it as a backpack gun. But, since I started hunting with it, I love it! It's extremely accurate, hits like a hammer, is easy to carry and I shoot it well. In the three years I have been using it, I have taken a boat load of Sitka black tail deer, a Kodiak Brown Bear, and just got back from South Africa with it, where I shot a Kudu (the one who n my avatar) a blue wildebeest, black wildebeest, Impala, springbok, and a Jackel. I never felt "undergunned". It's not a 500 yard "across the canyon" rifle, but I can't see more than 300 anymore anyway.
So I really like the .338 federal cartridge. The only downside is that Federal is not making ammo readily available. So I bought about 400 empty cases and just handload for it. With all the .338 diameter bullets available it makes handloading easy.

Next is to have the barrel threaded and get a suppressor for it before I go back to Africa next time... right after I finish paying for my last trip.:sneaky:

Anyway, you have a cool project going so keep us updated on the progress as you go. Lots of fun to build a truly custom rifle. (y)
@Mekaniks
Mate you will be pleased to know Woodleigh in Australia make .338 projectiles specifically for the Federal that have jackets designed for its velocity parameters as well as those for the 338 mags.
Bob

i29zci1.jpg

And then the Encore in 375 H&H Magnum. Light, easy to carry all day and a heavy hitter.

Encore375.jpg

Or you can go even lighter. Another Encore in 375 H&H Magnum.
@Grumulkin
That short barrel and muzzle brake 375 would definitely get your attention when you pull the trigger.
Bob

@Mekaniks
Mate you will be pleased to know Woodleigh in Australia make .338 projectiles specifically for the Federal that have jackets designed for its velocity parameters as well as those for the 338 mags.
Bob
Thanks Bob I will research them

Don’t forget about a NULA model 20 in 308 Winchester. Very LW rifle and exceptionally well built.

Brian

@ Art Lambert II
Didn't you tell your dad you had no use for that 35 Encore because he won't load the 250gn Speer hotcore properly for you so you are sending it over to me to trial with them and don't want it back.
Mate they is one sweet little Whelen. The beauty of the Whelen is you only need one shot, no need for fast follow up shots. If you hit it properly with the Whelen it's one and done, go pick up your animal.
Bob
Bob,

What I told my dad was that since I have a new 35 Whelen barrel for my Encore I didn't need to use the 300 WM barrel anymore. The Whelen will do everything the 300WM will do and more so why bother changing barrels. My Encore now sports a 24" custom Bullberry barrel and a 3x9 Leupold with a firedot reticle. IMHO there are two types of hunters in the world those that like to track their game after the shoot and those that use the 35 Whelen.

Bob,

What I told my dad was that since I have a new 35 Whelen barrel for my Encore I didn't need to use the 300 WM barrel anymore. The Whelen will do everything the 300WM will do and more so why bother changing barrels. My Encore now sports a 24" custom Bullberry barrel and a 3x9 Leupold with a firedot reticle. IMHO there are two types of hunters in the world those that like to track their game after the shoot and those that use the 35 Whelen.
@Art Lambert II
Couldn't agree with you more especially about the 2 types of hunter. The Whelen certainly doesn't play around putting game on the ground. If it does it's the shooters fault not the cartridge.
Bob

For a “hiking” rifle, where I was just out looking for targets of opportunity (rabbits, squirrels, varmints) and not specifically hunting game, it would be hard to beat my Henry AR-7 survival rifle in .22LR. It weighs only a few pounds and can be taken down and stowed it its own stock.

For medium or large game hunts where I’ll be on foot, I like my proper European-style stalking rifles built from surplus military actions, including my Steyr Mannlicher in 8x56R. It’s short and weighs just under 7 pounds loaded. Others are Mauser actions in 7x57 and .30-06.

33A434C8-53A9-4E95-9666-D1408DB8F5F4.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DelbertBat

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross