Hiking Rifle cartridges

Newboomer

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, SCI, American Legion, Freemasons
Hunted
RSA, Maine, Montana, Colorado, Texas, Alaska, California.
Talked to my brother in law and he has one in 35 rem so there is that. He says that loaded with points bullets it is pure poison on hogs out to 200 yards.
35 or 350?

rdog

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SSAA
As i have gotten older & my physical condition has deteriorated mainly due to rheumatoid arthritis, i purchased a light walk around rifle, & its a joy to carry, a Tikka T3x Ultralite in 6.5x55 in a Bell & Carlson stock , withTalley one piece
mounts & Leupold VX2 2x7, its a true sub MOA shooter. It could be my favorite rifle, i estimate it at about 7 lbs un loaded. the bathroom scales battery is flat.
IMG_1276.JPG

EDELWEISS

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
US, Canada, Middle East(does that count)
Part of the fun of hunting for me are discussions like this one. A good friend described it like a dog chasing a car. The dog may catch up to the car; but WHAT is he going to do with it when he gets it.... The point, for me at least, isnt catching the car (although I thought it was when I started), its the pursuit. Im still searching.

No doubt there are a lot of good options for a cartridge with enough power for medium size game and useable in a lightweight rifle. Ive come to appreciate a few new ones to me (22 K Hornet maybe even 22 Hi Power) as well as many of my old standbys (6.5x55, 275 Rigby, and 30-30)

Now the question is what rifle?

EDELWEISS

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
OK IM all for a Gewehr 91 but where do I find one? Better yet whats a modern version? Awhile back Remington and AAC got together and made a love child that was just about perfect. It was a Model 7 that was tiny and light and chambered in 300Blkackout. Even before Remington took a financial dump on the industry they canceled it favor of a M700 in a heavy chunky stock

CBH Australia

AH legend
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
As i have gotten older & my physical condition has deteriorated mainly due to rheumatoid arthritis, i purchased a light walk around rifle, & its a joy to carry, a Tikka T3x Ultralite in 6.5x55 in a Bell & Carlson stock , withTalley one piece
mounts & Leupold VX2 2x7, its a true sub MOA shooter. It could be my favorite rifle, i estimate it at about 7 lbs un loaded. the bathroom scales battery is flat.View attachment 448423
Well take your word for it.
I took the battery out of my scales when it told me to get off. Can't trust em.

CBH Australia

AH legend
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
Nice set up by the way.

rdog

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SSAA
Some time ago Ruger made a run of light 77MK11s in 7.62x39 & 6.8 SPC, 18 inch light barrels, wooden stocks i was going to buy one in 6.8 but procrastinated to long & they were all sold, i do have an Ruger American in 7.62x39 good shooter but no pride of ownership. its a shame that Howa do not chamber their mini action 1500 in 6.8 SPC but do in 6.5
Grendel a another great little cartridge, the 7.62x39 6.8 spc &
the 6.5 Grendel offer much better performance than than the 300 black out, on small game, & are suited for short light rifles. I built a 6.5 grendel on a Ruger 77 MK11 7.62x39 action
with a Packnor 1-8 twist barrel some years ago, with Nosler 100 gr BT is a sub moa 5 shot rifle & a joy to shoot & loves
Hornady American Gunner factory ammo

yumastepside

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
ssaa
I too like the idea of a lightweight " walk around " rifle, medium to small calibre, open sights or low powered optics.
At the moment mine are a Baikal single shot re-barrelled to 6.5x39, a full wood stocked Carcano in 6.5x54MS and a Portuguese Vergueiro in 7.65x53 .

Roger

IvW

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA, CHASA
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia,Zambia
a combination gun in either of the following depending where you are hiking.

7x57R/12ga or 308/12ga
7x65R/12ga
9.3x74R/12ga

EDELWEISS

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
a combination gun in either of the following depending where you are hiking.

7x57R/12ga or 308/12ga
7x65R/12ga
9.3x74R/12ga

I really like Drillings and Cape Guns (Combos); but Ive never found one that I thought was portable enough for "this" purpose, whatever that is???

Recently a bolt action rifle in 22TCM came into the shop. I have heard of this cartridge; but only as a new pistol cartridge, so I started google searches. It seems to be a HOT 22 in a small case. If I understand correctly, its hotter than 22 Hornet and 5.7 FN...and Ive seen Whitetail taken with them. Perhaps not the "best" choice to purposely pick for larger game; but it may be worth considering???

Nevada Mike

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
I have a lightweight, short action Dakota 76 in .257 Roberts with a VXII 2-7X scope. This rifle weighs only 7 lbs. 5 oz. with scope and leather sling. Easy to carry, accurate, adequate for small and medium game.

Joker12

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Member of
NRA
Hunted
South Africa
I think that my Ruger #1A 7x57 is perfect for a walking around rifle. Great chambering, fast handling, accurate, very easy carrying and with the barrel band it slings nice and low. Easy on the eyes too!

EDELWEISS

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
I do like the Ruger No.1 rifles and I think they could be a good candidate for a Hiking Rifle; but I also think they could use a good fitness trainer.... The No1's are great rifle but they are much heavier then they need to be. I suppose most (all) factory rifles could use a trimming. Id start with the forearm and then the buttstock. It might not take a lot off the scale but they can be made easier to carry

EDELWEISS

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Just when I think I have the perfect cartridge, I find something else. I think we can agree cartridges are location dependent. Here in the Easter woods, where 100 yards maybe a long shot I keep coming back to the 30-30; but in the flats of Southern Texas I want more, and a 30-06 isnt too much; but is it if Im willing to put the work into a stalk to get closer?

I like to hike; but for this purpose we can call it Hiking with an appropriate gun. Its the appropriate part that always gets me scratching my head....

Wishfulthinker580

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
This one is interesting. I like the oddball stuff

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-17 at 9.13.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-17 at 9.13.17 AM.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 9
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-17 at 9.13.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-17 at 9.13.20 AM.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 9
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-17 at 9.13.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-17 at 9.13.22 AM.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 9

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firstoptionfx23

Latest profile posts

Andrew62 wrote on gillettehunter's profile.
Hello Bruce, I think you are still in Africa?? I just sent payment to Bulls Eye Taxidermy to have 3 of my animals mounted, it has been years since I have had anything mounted. I hope Ronnie and Jimmy had a good hunt down Kimberly way. Anyway, so nice to have met you Bruce, it was wonderful meeting you and spending time with you in camp. I hope your store closure and building sale go well. Cheers, Andrew Fike
BigFan375 wrote on Freetrade's profile.
I'm sorry, but I'm buying, not selling.............lee
Member: NRA Life

Hunt: Alaska-Canada-NM
geoff rath wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
G'day Bob,
Just had a yarn with A G, and he has filled me in on how much work he puts in to such developments, referencing QuikLoad, tightening tolerances, load development, range testing. He indicated that of you wish to contact him directly he can go into details far better than I.
If you wish , contact him directly, he has given the OK for me to pass that on.
Hunt: Alaska, Canada, Mexico and USA: particularly the Western states.