Hiking Rifle cartridges

I'm a bit confused by the whole premise here. Is this a rifle were taking on a backpack hunt or something to just have along on a day hike?
If the former, I'm taking my cut down .338, because it will handle whatever arises. The latter, I generally carry a handgun, probably these days my 10mm. If going fishing, the .475 Linebaugh.
Once, on a backpacking/prospecting trip I took my Super Blackhawk and my Savage 24 .22/20 ga. That little unit kept the 4 of us in meat for the 10 day trip.

I've been eyeballing a Blaser K95 in 30-06 for a lightweight stalking rifle. With a scope coming in at 7.5# sounds perfect to me.

I commented and never actually put in my 2 cents.... i would say,

Ruger M77 MKII 6.5x55 if a rifle would be needed, or a .45 super in my alaskan chest holster otherwise.

Rifle 1 - I also like the 25-06, such a nostalgic cartridge. The .260 or 6.5 CM would be great as well.

Rifle 2 - The 30-06 does nothing for me but that’s completely just my opinion. Although a pair of 06’s would be kinda cool. 300win would be my choice. Once again, that’s JMO

Have fun picking and get only what you want to get!

Perhaps I can jump back in, I started this thread wanting a rifle I could hike with all day and still manage to take game along the way. Where I hunt our biggest game is Black Bear in the 2-300 pound range; but its been a long time since Ive heard of a real threat from a bear. More recently we have been experiencing attacks from packs of feral/stray dogs.

I do question some of the cartridges thus far suggested. No doubt they a perfect choices for each of you but I think Id pass. Im not at all opposed to big bore cartridges, heck Ive been known to hunt deer with a 470 NE. Im also not opposed to 7x57 or 6.5x55 for medium, perhaps even large (North American) game (Didnt I see that 22 High Power was used for Tigers?).

Im also not opposed to SCOUT rifles although Im pretty much convinced a small Red Dot has supplanted the forward Scout optic. Im was a big fan of the 350 Rem Magnum but where do you find that on the shelves, likewise the 376 Steyr on the shelf? Im more and more liking single shots (Ruger No1 and Encores) for this concept, usually without optics or perhaps a small Red Dot. Ive used both longer 24-26" barrels in 7x57 and 30-30, as well as a short 460 and 500SW the latter when in Hog country. The 460 and 500 are more just because I can and sorta stand in for my double 10ga.

Im not a huge handgun hunter, although Ive done it a few times. Carrying a handgun is legal around here so having one on a hunt isnt unusual but its not my first choice for a primary hunting tool. Having a stocked handgun might be an option (NOT an AR Pistol--semis arent legal for hunting). Sadly adding a stock becomes problematic with NFA issues. Aside from the legal steps necessary, I can see where a stocked pistol/revolver in a suitable cartridge 10mm, 44Mag, 454, and yes 460 or 500SW, might be suitable for this role

Last edited:
Perhaps I can jump back in, I started this thread wanting a rifle I could hike with all day and still manage to take game along the way. Where I hunt our biggest game is Black Bear in the 2-300 pound range; but its been a long time since Ive heard of a real threat from a bear. More recently we have been experiencing attacks from packs of feral/stray dogs.

I do question some of the cartridges thus far suggested. No doubt they a perfect choices for each of you but I think Id pass. Im not at all opposed to big bore cartridges, heck Ive been known to hunt deer with a 470 NE. Im also not opposed to 7x57 or 6.5x55 for medium, perhaps even large (North American) game (Didnt I see that 22 High Power was used for Tigers?).

Im also not opposed to SCOUT rifles although Im pretty much convinced a small Red Dot has supplanted the forward Scout optic. Im was a big fan of the 350 Rem Magnum but where do you find that on the shelves, likewise the 376 Steyr on the shelf? Im more and more liking single shots (Ruger No1 and Encores) for this concept, usually without optics or perhaps a small Red Dot. Ive used both longer 24-26" barrels in 7x57 and 30-30, as well as a short 460 and 500SW the latter when in Hog country. The 460 and 500 are more just because I can and sorta stand in for my double 10ga.
As you state it here, a Marlin or Winchester lever gun in .30-30 or .35 Rem would be hard to beat.
If only someone would make my dreams come true and build an M-1 carbine in 10mm.

I have some affection for 22Hornet. Ive heard of guys using it on deer. Im kinda skeptical about its effectiveness as an intentional round for deer; but I suppose for anything smaller it would be sufficient.

As for a M1 Carbine in10mm, I remember liking the idea of the Ruger bolt action in 44mag. A 10mm version might be interesting

I had this .50 B&M built for a good friend of mine who unfortunately passed away before he could use it. He had wanted it for use while hiking in the wilderness of Alaska, specifically for bears if he had an encounter. Perfectly balanced and handy with an 18" barrel.

full

I had this .50 B&M built for a good friend of mine who unfortunately passed away before he could use it. He had wanted it for use while hiking in the wilderness of Alaska, specifically for bears if he had an encounter. Perfectly balanced and handy with an 18" barrel.

full
It was sold on AH wasn’t it?

I just picked up a Savage 24 in 357 mag over 20 gauge for that very purpose. Short and light enough but heavy enough for what I’ll run up against.
It’ll be a good “truck gun” as well.
That said, I’m not in grizzly country and black bears don’t concern me much.

I just picked up a Savage 24 in 357 mag over 20 gauge for that very purpose. Short and light enough but heavy enough for what I’ll run up against.
It’ll be a good “truck gun” as well.
That said, I’m not in grizzly country and black bears don’t concern me much.
The Lovely Mrs Freefall once bought a 24 in .30-30/20ga from a friend who won it at a pta raffle (This is Alaska after all).
She promptly sold it because at that time we had no use for it. Perfect for this application.

The Lovely Mrs Freefall once bought a 24 in .30-30/20ga from a friend who won it at a pta raffle (This is Alaska after all).
She promptly sold it because at that time we had no use for it. Perfect for this application.
100 years ago when I was young and broke I traded a .22/410 version for a 270 I wanted. I got the better end of the trade at the time but I’ve always regretted getting rid of it. They’re just a handy little critter.
The 357 Mag and 30-30 versions don’t seem to be quite as easy to find but they’re out there.

A buddy somewhere in US have a soped Mannlicher fs in 9x56MS,something ,it has traveld many hard hikes with him.

The original Mannlicher Schoenauer was introduced at the 1900 Exposition Universelle of Paris as the Model 1900 in a unique proprietary chambering of 6.5X54.

MS M1900 Early Mag Release 02.jpg

Production began in 1905 of the military (Greek) Y1903 which, along with subsequent Y1903/14, Y1903/14/27, 'System 1930' and variants all were chambered for the 6.5X54 MS cartridge.

MS Greek Mannlicher-Schoenaur Rifles and Carbines 02.jpg

Production also began in 1905 of the M1903 sporting arms in full stocked carbine (stutzen) and half stocked rifle configuration as well as a dandy little Take Down Model of the system that had been used by Westley Richards on some custom built examples of M1900.

MS Army Navy Cased.jpg

The light, handy, and finely built Mannlicher Schoenauers soon built quite a reputation for themselves, particularly the stutzen, and are still regarded to be among the most reliable and smoothest feeding of any bolt action rifles ever built with their fine balance, precise machining, and Schoenauer rotary magazine.

MS magazine exploded.jpg

Oesterreich Waffenfabriken Gesellschaft Steyr built on the success and legend with introduction of three other models, each chambered exclusively for their own MS proprietary cartridge, Models M1905 (9X56), M1908 (8X56) and M1910 (9.5X57).

MS Proprietary Cartridges.jpg

In the difficult post - WW1 economy Steyr introduced the M1924 for export to the United States with a lengthened receiver to accommodate the 'U.S. 1906 Cartridge' (.30-'06). As production continued in the 'interwar years' a variety of non proprietary chamberings were offered to appeal to a broader consumer base. Today's collectors often refer to such models as 'M1925' though they are not stamped as such. Stoeger and other retailers offered them as 'High Velocity' models.

MS ST39 50 Mannlicher Schoenauer.jpg

MS ST39 51 Mannlicher Schoenauer details 02.jpg

Attachments

• MS ST39 50 Mannlicher Schoenauer.jpg
    MS ST39 50 Mannlicher Schoenauer.jpg
    469.6 KB · Views: 55
After re-reading the original question, yes, the Mannlicher Schönauer in 6.5X54 stutzen would be perfect for this application. If you're worried that 6.5X54 is difficult to find, there are other ammunition types available, especially in rifles built after the war. If you go that route, it's a different conversation: we'd be discussing chambering, not rifles.

You also mentioned LtCol Cooper's Scout. I'm glad, because your description is exactly that of a scout rifle. With this in mind, the Steyr Scout would also be ideal (but not as pretty as the previous). The obvious chambering for that is .308, for all the reasons LtCol Cooper listed for choosing the .308. If you must go heavy (and from your description, that is not a requirement), find an older one in .376 Steyr. But you can get a new one off the rack in .308. Forget all the other chambering choices now offered, they defeat the purpose of the original design. Make mine mud, turned for a suppressor, with the ghost ring sights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LashawnHay

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,