Higher fees for transporting trophies during Covid?

Markopolo50

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, life member, SCI, DU, RGS,
Hunted
United States,( Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky, Alabama, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, Alaska)Canada, Africa
My trophies are still in Zimbabwe and my PH says the fees to transport are higher than normal. My first trip and of course my first experience with shipping. Quoted $2400 for one cape buffalo and two Impala's. That is to get it to Chicago. Is that normal? Thanks for replies

Dip and Pack or for completed animals? If just dip pack, yes it is high, in 2018 I paid $800 to get my five animals from Zim to SA, to join my family's 7 animals. All finished shoulder mounts or European. Then I paid $2,900 to get them into the usa without the customs broker cost. It is suppose to go on size of crate and weight and thus by my example it looks to be high for the three animals. Not sure what the alternative is, other than getting another shipping quote. Not sure why the PH is quoting shipping to you either. Get a quote from a broker directly.

There are so few international flights flying now the air freight is expensive. My usual cost was around half that out of South Africa or Namibia with a lot more trophies. Not sure when you shot these, but you could possibly discuss with the shipper waiting longer to let more flights open up and hopefully prices come down.

Hello sir!

Yes that is going to be pretty accurate for the current time. It is quite expensive but I expect it to be that way for quite a while. We would love to help clear your trophies in Chicago and can deliver them to you or your taxidermist. Pick up at our warehouse is always an option as well! Congrats on the hunt!

-Tom

Unfortunately, yes. I live in Alaska and normally I'd have said I'd pay around $2K-$2500 for my big shipment of five completed trophies. Instead of a fairly straight shot across the US and up it had to go through San Fran,Seattle, get cleared by an agent (normally I can do it here and save several hundred dollars) and then put on a boat to Alaska it has pretty much doubled that.

I went over to take pictures only....... for the money I save, I shoot another animal.....

..do not look back....

I already have them dipped and packed. They are at the transporter in Zimbabwe. The price was for the hides and horns of the three animals. I thought it was a high price and just inquired with the PH. He also agreed that it was probably higher because of the fewer international flights, as you have suggested also. They will hold the hides/horns but I would like to get them home. I believe I will wait for a while, but these were taken in June, 2019. Thanks for your help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BarrettAlfred

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross