High Quality Hunting Clothes

Wear light, low top boots that are easy to lace up. I used Keens, but there are many suitable light hiking boots. Some people wear sneakers. Get some canvas gaiters from Boyt Harness Co. and lightweight wool socks.

I like Kuhl pants - mine have never ripped or come apart. They are light, cool, and tough. I use Columbia, Ex-Officio, and L. L. Bean shirts in darker, neutral colors - gray, tan, olive. I like the nylon shirts better than cotton for warm weather. A kerchief worn around your neck will be handy.

A quaility, mid-weight jacket is nice on cool morning drives.

Lightweight hiking shoes for travel and backup, lightweight hiking boots for the hunt.

In parts of Europe, we have a store called Decathlon, which could be similar to Cabela´s. There I find green cotton pants and shirts, quite cheap, some get left behind for the staff.

A fleece jacket, or something warmer when the sun goes down, specially if you plan for night hunting.

And don´t forget gaiters !

Haven't seen anyone discuss one of the key components of my kit on any deployment or expedition. High quality cushion sole socks, make the investment in them, your feet will thank you. I have several pair that have been used hard for going on a decade with no issues. Also get in the habit of using a good quality foot powder on them to start and end the day. When possible air your feet out and change socks.
In Afghanistan and Iraq I used two pairs of boots depending upon the terrain, the environment and the mission. Love my Danner boots for heavy terrain, offered a broad sole to support my ankles during missions out of vehicles and helos and my Keens for lighter, fast moving operations.

I agree on the 5.11 shirts/pants and the Kuhl pants, they wear like iron and are very comfortable. Also a lightweight fleece vest for layering, a fleece beanie/watch cap and a silk wild rag scarf are essential in my warbag.

I guess I've got the bug. I'm an avid hunter and have been since I was 12 but this Africa hunt I have planned for November has me obsessed! I guess there could be worse things to be addicted to. Anyways, I am looking for opinions on hunting clothing. As many hunters know there is a wide range of quality in hunting clothing. Example: Anything I buy from BSP Redhead brand only last 1 hunting year before starting to fall apart. I am looking for advise on brands of HIGH QUALITY boots, convertible pants, shirts, and hats so that I can start gearing up for the hunt. Thanks for any suggestions!

Jesse
I buy my hunting shorts shirts and jerseys from the Salvation Army stores - they only last a few months after bashing through matagouri (thorny bushes on steroids). Boots are a different matter - you can never spend too much on good quality boots and I've never come across these in a SA store.

Lightweight hiking shoes for travel and backup, lightweight hiking boots for the hunt.

In parts of Europe, we have a store called Decathlon, which could be similar to Cabela´s. There I find green cotton pants and shirts, quite cheap, some get left behind for the staff.

A fleece jacket, or something warmer when the sun goes down, specially if you plan for night hunting.

And don´t forget gaiters !
Not only do gaiters keep the twigs and shingle out of your boots, they give some protection in Australia from snakes, which are aplenty, and a lot of them very venomous. In NZ, hunting the higher ground you come across a sweetie called Spaniard Grass so gaiters are essential. The ones I had were a strong canvas Army surplus.

Wear light, low top boots that are easy to lace up. I used Keens, but there are many suitable light hiking boots. Some people wear sneakers. Get some canvas gaiters from Boyt Harness Co. and lightweight wool socks.

I like Kuhl pants - mine have never ripped or come apart. They are light, cool, and tough. I use Columbia, Ex-Officio, and L. L. Bean shirts in darker, neutral colors - gray, tan, olive. I like the nylon shirts better than cotton for warm weather. A kerchief worn around your neck will be handy.

A quaility, mid-weight jacket is nice on cool morning drives.
I had a PH wear old school converse all stars. I generally bring a pair of trail running shoes. Love them.

Something I’ve not seen mentioned but I learned the hard way is whatever kind of boot you use consider wearing some that are all leather. On my first trip hunting in Limpopo in April I took a pair of Merrell hiking boots that were a leather and cloth mix and they had some grass we hiked thru in several places that had these very fine needle like seeds. Those things went right through the cloth portion of my boots and heavy socks and felt like I had a thousand needles sticking me in my feet. Became so painful I had to keep taking my boots and socks off and rub the daylights out of the inside of the boots and my socks to try and remove them. Never really worked well and was a painful lesson everyday putting the boots back on as well as always watching them not to walk thru patches of that grass. PH said that is why we wear all leather shoes or boots. Hunting in Eastern Cape last year I had all leather hikers and some lightweight Danner boots I use in MT that have very heavy cord yea inserts and they worked fine but never saw that same type of grass there. Just a thought to consider

Boots are absolutely mission critical. So, two pair, well broken in it is for me. And one pair will be on my feet on the plane from now on.
But boots matter.
Well broken in is definitely important.
New boots straight out of the box is a big risk. I like to use new boots on very short outings, until I'm sure they are adjusted to my feet.

Some like to have all sorts of liners and membranes even in leather boots. For conditions that are not arctic, just the one layer of leather can be better: it will dry easier, whether it is water or sweat that got them wet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FreemanHar

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you