High, medium or low?

Mr. 16 gauge

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I'm in the process of buying a .375 H&H, and I wish to put a Leupold Vx2 1x4 power scope on it. The rifle (it's used) already comes with bases, so I currently am planning to use them (they appear to be Weaver style bases).
I plan on using these rings:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/13...lease-weaver-style-rings?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Problem is, they come in low, medium, and high......how do I determine which one to get? Is low better (head closer to the stock, more in line with the sights?)
Thanks for any light you can shed on this one..........................

Yes low is better overall for the reasons you sight. The only issue is that at 1x, you'll likely see the front sights in the scope. Basically I just grew used to that at the range, but at first you'll notice it.

It's also a bit easier on your scope in my opinion. The lower rings will create less torque on your scope during recoil.

Yes low is better overall for the reasons you sight. The only issue is that at 1x, you'll likely see the front sights in the scope. Basically I just grew used to that at the range, but at first you'll notice it.

It's also a bit easier on your scope in my opinion. The lower rings will create less torque on your scope during recoil.

I respectfully disagree with the above assertion. I used to follow that convention but my results were not as good as they should have been. I purchased a Norinco JW15 about 20-25 years ago, as a project rifle that I could afford to modify, with minimal financial loss.

One day I used it for a Running Boar Shoot and found that I had set it up in a very poor manner. The stock was 25- 30mm too short, the rifle was out of balance and most importantly, the scope was too low and too far forward. I lengthened the stock and modified it in other ways but the most important alteration was to replace the ring mounts with a spare set of Sportsmatch TO3C 1 inch medium ring mounts. The Sportsmatch range are also sold by Diana and Beeman (under their own labels) and copied by lower quality imitators.

I subsequently adopted the practice of closing my eyes, mounting a rifle whilst in the standing position; and then opening my eyes, to see if the ring mounts are at the correct height. A difference of several millimetres is easy to discern via this method, i.e. if the mounts are too low the front looks high; and if the mounts are too high the front looks low.

Scratches on the rifle receiver or screw-on bases and/or ring mounts are easily avoided by applying clear adhesive tape to the rifle receiver or bases.

The argument that scopes should be mounted as low as possible may be applicable to rifles that were specifically stocked to suit standing shooting. When quoted out of context, however, it is responsible for a great deal of sub par performance on the shooting range, as witnessed by me and other, more competent shooters; and (in my opinion) missed shots in the field. NB My performance at standing shots in the field improved significantly after the changes that I made subsequent to the aforementioned Running Boar debacle.

Both replies are completely right. What I mean by that is that what works for you is right. I put higher rings on my .375 because my neck is a bit longer than most, so it fit me better. I also use mine for d.g. hunting, so I can use open sights under my scope for quick and complete picture on a charging or running animal. Haven't had to use it that way, yet.

I like low because it keeps line of sight closer to the bore..If high the bullet has to rise more which can be a slight problem on close shots ..

Has anyone ever noticed, like "length of pull", that the distance from any one persons eye to where they "weld" their cheek could be quite different. i.e. high or low cheek bones.
(Never mind Comb height/design.)
I'd think that would be a major consideration for fit. No?

On heavy recoiling rifles it all about check weld, the better check weld the less felt recoil. Everyone's face is different so you need to try different mounts. I've went to a local shop and mounted a scope 2-3 times to try get what worked for me.

We need a Myth Busters episode on this one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Walkerph

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you