Hides, Skins, Leathers?

Kharn

AH senior member
Reaction score
G'day

Curious to see other peoples clothing/equipment that they have had made from Game Hides, not the Trophy Mounts but the items you may of had made from the animal & use either daily or when hunting?

Unfortunately I live in a rather restricting country but still like to 'dream' about what I might do if I could either keep or legally acquire the Game Hides.

Like this backpack I thought up.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

rnovi

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI, HFMA, and a Certified KCBS BBQ Judge
Hunted
South Africa, Texas, Alaska - hey, they count. Trust me!
My wife covers pillows and cushions in the house with the backskins from the hunts.

Oh, and for what it's worth, that pack design - bought something like that for my wife in Cape Buff a while back. they're nice.

Kharn

AH senior member
Reaction score
My wife covers pillows and cushions in the house with the backskins from the hunts.

Oh, and for what it's worth, that pack design - bought something like that for my wife in Cape Buff a while back. they're nice.
The backpack is off Tagsafari website I just used it as an example. My reward from hunting (aside the hunt/people itself/themselves) is the hides/skins more so than the Trophies/Ivory etc.

I love turning the beautiful hides/skins into things I can use for either hunting or in daily home/work life and enjoy seeing/hearing what others have done or might of done so that I might consider it for my own styles, I am currently having 3 sets of sunglasses straps made from Zebra & Giraffe, 1 for my work safety glasses, 1 for my field sunglasses & 1 for my work mate to surprise him with, I want to get some Warthog skin Gaiters made but just for at work purposes (and also a pair for my work mate to surprise him, I'm a great guy to work with!).

There WAS a plan to just go "everything croc" but I don't want to be a "wanna-be crocodile dundee" since I'm also Ozzie but don't have a "general passion" for crocodiles either... but croc hides are unrivaled in appearance in my books...

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
How about some photos of your handiwork? For me, $250.00 belts and $600.00 soft gun cases are out of the picture. Now if I had your skills …..

firehuntfish

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI NRA QDMA NWTF TU DU
Hunted
Namibia, Botswana, South Africa, USA, South, Central America & New Zealand
I had gaiters and a rifle sling made from my Cape buffalo.
gaiters 2.JPG

BeeMaa

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
My wife and I are planning on bringing back skulls/horns and leather from our Safari.
Wife wants a rifle and shotgun scabbard and I was thinking about a safari vest.

There are a few members here who do professional leather work as well as taxidermy.
I let one of them know about this thread as I'm sure he has much to contribute.

Kharn

AH senior member
Reaction score
How about some photos of your handiwork? For me, $250.00 belts and $600.00 soft gun cases are out of the picture. Now if I had your skills …..
I have no handy work currently and I won't be making them myself sorry if I mislead.

Kharn

AH senior member
Reaction score
My wife and I are planning on bringing back skulls/horns and leather from our Safari.
Wife wants a rifle and shotgun scabbard and I was thinking about a safari vest.

There are a few members here who do professional leather work as well as taxidermy.
I let one of them know about this thread as I'm sure he has much to contribute.
I'm in talks with a local ozzie that works with exotic leathers and is a hunter himself so together we'll make my dreams happen (legally).

The first item is the zebra & giraffe glasses straps the second is a watch strap and cover military style made from Iguana.

I'll be sure to post everything on here as I receive them.

wesheltonj

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Benefactor-Life NRA, DSC, SCI, HSC
Hunted
USA, RSA
On another website there is a photo of a sofa made from Elephant. It looks fantastic, (1) it's out of my budget and (2) my wife would have me sleeping on it (3) while the divorce papers were pending.

mdwest

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
DSC Life Member, NRA Life Member
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Argentina, Peru
Anyone have a recommendation on a boot maker in TX?

Im thinking a custom set of cowboy boots made from buff leather might be something I'd be interested in..

I've googled several and found a few in the DFW area and a few more in San Antonio that seem to have good reviews.. but a personal recommendation would be better if someone knows a guy that does good boots..

wesheltonj

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Benefactor-Life NRA, DSC, SCI, HSC
Hunted
USA, RSA
Little’s Boots in San Antonio, I don’t know if Lucchese is still making custom anymore since they left San Antonio.

Kharn

AH senior member
Reaction score
I'm trying to get custom (edit: hunting) boots made locally (australia) from various exotic leathers (all legal).

I'd love to have a pair of (edit: hunting) boots that has something from each of the 7 DGs but due to my location most are simply illegal to import/posses, I think of the 7 I can only legally have Hippo, Buff & Croc which kinda doesn't make me as enthusiastic about getting it done anymore.

Tra3

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Namibia
The bench you sit on to put on shoes before leaving the house would be a perfect recipient of an animal hide covering.

Also, You might check with people that do custom leather work for motorcycles, the skills transfer to game hides leather work.

edward

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
safari club,nra,d.s.c.
Hunted
south africa and zimbabwe.alaska and several lower 48 states.
the elephant hide chair is nice,so is the elephant hide vest.also to many holster,etc
trophy pictures 036.jpg
001 (10).JPG

Kharn

AH senior member
Reaction score
Now we're talking! (Or rather seein')! That vest looks awesome & comfy!

Divernhunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Life member NRA and NAHC Escalon Sportsmans club, Manteca sportsman club and Coalinga Rifle Club. Member of SCI
Hunted
USA, RSA
I have some backskins that I would like to have made into soft pistol cases in the USA. Any help on finding someone that I would not need to take out a mortgage on my home to do them. They are tanned and flexible already.

jeff

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci P&Y
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa in Kwazu Natal, Limpopo, Eastern Cape , Northwest Province, USA Ariz, Nev, Mont, Ida, Ore, Cal, Mich,Wash, AlasKa
I have some backskins that I would like to have made into soft pistol cases in the USA. Any help on finding someone that I would not need to take out a mortgage on my home to do them. They are tanned and flexible already.
Boones Girl Leather here in Salmon Id has done some excellent work with back skins for me. And very reasonable price.

Divernhunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Life member NRA and NAHC Escalon Sportsmans club, Manteca sportsman club and Coalinga Rifle Club. Member of SCI
Hunted
USA, RSA
Boones Girl Leather here in Salmon Id has done some excellent work with back skins for me. And very reasonable price.
Can you give me some contact info/phone number/website. Thanks

gizmo

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.rockinggranch.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
Hunted
Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
I make those and if using your hide then the cost wont be much at all. Give me a shout if you'd like me to quote you some cases.

Latest profile posts

Enjoy the bush with Respect
20 day hunt in May 2022 with Zana Botes hard part now starting the wait
Better a fool on his own than a wise man at someone else's discretion
... F. Nietzsche
perry madl wrote on Ignatius of Antioch's profile.
Is your double still available?
I am interested in Safari Animal Paintings