Hides, Skins, Leathers?

Discussion in 'Hunting Equipment, Gear & Optics' started by Kharn, May 12, 2019.

1. Kharn

Kharn AH Senior Member

G'day

Curious to see other peoples clothing/equipment that they have had made from Game Hides, not the Trophy Mounts but the items you may of had made from the animal & use either daily or when hunting?

Unfortunately I live in a rather restricting country but still like to 'dream' about what I might do if I could either keep or legally acquire the Game Hides.

Like this backpack I thought up.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2019
    Ridgewalker and BWH like this.

2. rnovi

rnovi AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, SCI, more I'm sure to come
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Texas, Alaska - hey, they count. Trust me!
    My wife covers pillows and cushions in the house with the backskins from the hunts.

Oh, and for what it's worth, that pack design - bought something like that for my wife in Cape Buff a while back. they're nice.

Kharn likes this.

3. Kharn

Kharn AH Senior Member

The backpack is off Tagsafari website I just used it as an example. My reward from hunting (aside the hunt/people itself/themselves) is the hides/skins more so than the Trophies/Ivory etc.

I love turning the beautiful hides/skins into things I can use for either hunting or in daily home/work life and enjoy seeing/hearing what others have done or might of done so that I might consider it for my own styles, I am currently having 3 sets of sunglasses straps made from Zebra & Giraffe, 1 for my work safety glasses, 1 for my field sunglasses & 1 for my work mate to surprise him with, I want to get some Warthog skin Gaiters made but just for at work purposes (and also a pair for my work mate to surprise him, I'm a great guy to work with!).

There WAS a plan to just go "everything croc" but I don't want to be a "wanna-be crocodile dundee" since I'm also Ozzie but don't have a "general passion" for crocodiles either... but croc hides are unrivaled in appearance in my books...

4. Shootist43

Shootist43 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
    How about some photos of your handiwork? For me, $250.00 belts and $600.00 soft gun cases are out of the picture. Now if I had your skills …..

5. firehuntfish

firehuntfish AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI NRA QDMA NWTF TU DU
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Botswana, South Africa, USA, South, Central America & New Zealand
    I had gaiters and a rifle sling made from my Cape buffalo.
    gaiters 2.JPG

Fastrig, Kharn and Ridgewalker like this.

6. BeeMaa

BeeMaa AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, SCI
    Hunted:
    Eastern US & RSA
    My wife and I are planning on bringing back skulls/horns and leather from our Safari.
    Wife wants a rifle and shotgun scabbard and I was thinking about a safari vest.

There are a few members here who do professional leather work as well as taxidermy.
    I let one of them know about this thread as I'm sure he has much to contribute.

Fastrig likes this.

7. Kharn

Kharn AH Senior Member

I have no handy work currently and I won't be making them myself sorry if I mislead.

8. Kharn

Kharn AH Senior Member

I'm in talks with a local ozzie that works with exotic leathers and is a hunter himself so together we'll make my dreams happen (legally).

The first item is the zebra & giraffe glasses straps the second is a watch strap and cover military style made from Iguana.

I'll be sure to post everything on here as I receive them.

Ridgewalker likes this.

9. wesheltonj

wesheltonj AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Benefactor-Life NRA, DSC, SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA
    On another website there is a photo of a sofa made from Elephant. It looks fantastic, (1) it's out of my budget and (2) my wife would have me sleeping on it (3) while the divorce papers were pending.

10. mdwest

mdwest AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC Life Member, NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, Argentina, Peru
    Anyone have a recommendation on a boot maker in TX?

Im thinking a custom set of cowboy boots made from buff leather might be something I'd be interested in..

I've googled several and found a few in the DFW area and a few more in San Antonio that seem to have good reviews.. but a personal recommendation would be better if someone knows a guy that does good boots..

11. wesheltonj

wesheltonj AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Benefactor-Life NRA, DSC, SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA
    Little’s Boots in San Antonio, I don’t know if Lucchese is still making custom anymore since they left San Antonio.

12. Kharn

Kharn AH Senior Member

I'm trying to get custom (edit: hunting) boots made locally (australia) from various exotic leathers (all legal).

I'd love to have a pair of (edit: hunting) boots that has something from each of the 7 DGs but due to my location most are simply illegal to import/posses, I think of the 7 I can only legally have Hippo, Buff & Croc which kinda doesn't make me as enthusiastic about getting it done anymore.

13. Tra3

Tra3 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Namibia
    The bench you sit on to put on shoes before leaving the house would be a perfect recipient of an animal hide covering.

Also, You might check with people that do custom leather work for motorcycles, the skills transfer to game hides leather work.

14. edward

edward AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    safari club,nra,d.s.c.
    Hunted:
    south africa and zimbabwe.alaska and several lower 48 states.
    the elephant hide chair is nice,so is the elephant hide vest.also to many holster,etc trophy pictures 036.jpg 001 (10).JPG .

Fastrig, cmk, TFet and 6 others like this.

15. JPbowhunter

JPbowhunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Very nice! I'd rather that vest than the tusks personally! Given me something to think about for future hunting adventures.

edward likes this.

16. Kharn

Kharn AH Senior Member

Now we're talking! (Or rather seein')! That vest looks awesome & comfy!

edward likes this.

17. Divernhunter

Divernhunter AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life member NRA and NAHC Escalon Sportsmans club, Manteca sportsman club and Coalinga Rifle Club. Member of SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA
    I have some backskins that I would like to have made into soft pistol cases in the USA. Any help on finding someone that I would not need to take out a mortgage on my home to do them. They are tanned and flexible already.

18. jeff

jeff AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci P&Y
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa in Kwazu Natal, Limpopo, Eastern Cape , Northwest Province, USA Ariz, Nev, Mont, Ida, Ore, Cal, Mich,Wash, AlasKa
    Boones Girl Leather here in Salmon Id has done some excellent work with back skins for me. And very reasonable price.

19. Divernhunter

Divernhunter AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life member NRA and NAHC Escalon Sportsmans club, Manteca sportsman club and Coalinga Rifle Club. Member of SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA
    Can you give me some contact info/phone number/website. Thanks

20. gizmo

gizmo AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2015 AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
    Hunted:
    Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
    I make those and if using your hide then the cost wont be much at all. Give me a shout if you'd like me to quote you some cases.

edward, BWH and CM McKenzie like this.