Hi

Hilux01

Reaction score
Media
Hunted
South Africa
Hi all

Just a quick intro.

I have been hunting for the past decade or so, twice a year if my budget and time allow.

I am a typical "biltong/meat" hunter and is not out for trophies. However I have taken the odd trophy when the opportunity came my way.
I have learned in the bush, that you cant always place an order for a specific day or hunt, so when opprtunity knocks you must be ready to take it.

I hunt with my trusty British .303 - 1908. It is fitted with a Nikon 3-9 x 40 and is perfect for hunting in the bushveld and will take plainsgame up the size of an Eland.

Looking forward to learn more from this forum.

Below an image of my biggest animal to date.
Cape Eland - Rowland Ward 35 3/8"
Carcas weight - 363kg
Taken with Lee Enfield .308 (My dad's)

watermark.php

Attachments

• IMG_4285.jpg
    IMG_4285.jpg
    481.6 KB · Views: 81
Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to AH! Congrats on that giant Cape Eland!! He is a excellent trophy!

Great eland ...welcome to AH

Welcome to the forum Hilux01 - looking forward to your input and posts.
That is a massive eland you have there mate, congrats!

Welcome to the forum, Henk, nice bull !

Welcome to AH Henk! Looking forward to your participation.

Welcome to AH. Nice Eland.

Welcome to AH Henk!!! Thats a fine Trophy and some good eating as well.

Hi Henk,

Welcome to the forum ... That"s a monstrous Eland you got there. Your 303 must be a classic rifle? What grain age of bullets do you use generally.

Monsih

Monish,

Always used PMP 174g factory load, but in the process to start reloading myself, still have some homework to do on loads and grains from different manufacturers but at least now I have the press and dies.

The Eland taken with .308 with 180gr PMP factory load

Hi Henk,

174g is well suited bullet for quite a few game species, in India prior to independence 303 caliber was much in common use for hunting , and the rifle was the Lee Enfield Sporting .
Now both 308 & 303 are Prohibited & have been designated as Govt. Calibers.

Thanks

Monish

Monish,

My .303 is a Lee Enfield (Old SA Army) and dad's .308 is Lee Enfield (comes from India). Does that mean no-one in India may own a .303 & .308 Lee enfield except the Army?

FHm3006,

Standard PMP, actually I wasnt planning on hunting that day, I tagged along, dad was hunting Bluewildbeast, while we were roaming the 15 000 ha farm, the farmer mentioned that this Eland bull was pushed out of the herd, he was affraid it was going to break the fence. Anyway he offered it to me at a great price. I agreed that Ill take him if our paths crossed before dad gets his BWB. Well like I said, when opportunity knocks!

Hi Henk,
Nice to know that your Dad's 308 is from India. Yes 303 and 308 are Govt. calibers and are still used by the Indian police dept. The Army has the 223 (5.56) as their official caliber and the 7.62x39 .....

Monish

This is a huge eland and it shows you that you don't necessarily need a .375 or equivalent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genihi4888

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg