Hi From South Australia

Porker

AH member
Reaction score
Not a stranger to this forum, just been lurking and reading many of the excellent topics that frequent here. Relocated from South Africa about 5 years ago to Australia. Hunted plains game for 10 years in SA ... meat only but proudly boast an 18" blesbuck among 2 other trophies.

Rifle's are both semi-custom left hand stainless M700 in 6.5 x55 (currently being rebarreled) and Ruger M77 in 338WM (currently fitting q-rib)... depressed rifle-less at the moment, custom rifles take forever, wished I stuck with "off the shelf!" Hoping to post some pics here soon.

In Australia i have been doing minor culling for carrot farmers and some hit an miss fox hunting which is new to me. Hope to shoot all 6 deer species here over the coming years and maybe a water buff one day but unlikely with the cost involved. Fox an feral cat hunting is growing on me at an alarming rate and will be scratching that itch as soon as my 700 is back. Will also be looking for goat an camel ... did you know the best kept secret here is camel biltong made by the SA expats!? Didn't believe it until I tasted it myself.. good stuff

Thats my story .. glad to be here!

Not a stranger to this forum, just been lurking and reading many of the excellent topics that frequent here. Relocated from South Africa about 5 years ago to Australia. Hunted plains game for 10 years in SA ... meat only but proudly boast an 18" blesbuck among 2 other trophies.

Rifle's are both semi-custom left hand stainless M700 in 6.5 x55 (currently being rebarreled) and Ruger M77 in 338WM (currently fitting q-rib)... depressed rifle-less at the moment, custom rifles take forever, wished I stuck with "off the shelf!" Hoping to post some pics here soon.

In Australia i have been doing minor culling for carrot farmers and some hit an miss fox hunting which is new to me. Hope to shoot all 6 deer species here over the coming years and maybe a water buff one day but unlikely with the cost involved. Fox an feral cat hunting is growing on me at an alarming rate and will be scratching that itch as soon as my 700 is back. Will also be looking for goat an camel ... did you know the best kept secret here is camel biltong made by the SA expats!? Didn't believe it until I tasted it myself.. good stuff

Welcome from anther oz and same birthday (only I’m a tad older)

Dear Porker
Is there anything from SA that you miss?
Do you enjoy Australia?
We are scheduled to attend a hunting show in Perth in October 2018 - hope to meet you there!

Hello and welcome!

Happy to have you. Welcome.

Glad to have you and nice to know about camel biltong!

Welcome to AH sir. An 18 inch blesbock is a very nice trophy!

Welcome aboard Porker. Great to see another South Aussie on here.

You're right about camel...they taste better than they look!

Cheers
Tim

Welcome to AH Porker! Nice to have you on the posting side and looking forward to your contribution.

Welcome to AH.
The next great industry: Camel Biltong in every corner shop.

Welcome to AH porker.....I hope you enjoy participating in the forum.....!!!!

Welcome to AH !

that blesbuck was actually 18 an 1/4" ;) ... every inch counts as she always says...
thanks for the heads up KOWAS ... but will be anchored in South oz for a while with the new job.
Hey Tim... any annual hunting/SHOT shows here in SA? or even a big military swop an trade?
Thanks for all the welcomes guys...

Porker, welcome to the forum! Would enjoy seeing pictures and reading about your fox and feral cat hunts. Do you call them in like we do here in the US?

Thanks RW, awesome kudu in your avatar ... yes, there is a few fox whistles made here that work a treat ... I had limited success in Western Australia using a "cocky in distress" CD due to not being subtle and playing it continuous .. the whistle will be the next option ...

Welcome Porker, no doubt this is a good site to get you home sick.

that blesbuck was actually 18 an 1/4" ;) ... every inch counts as she always says...
thanks for the heads up KOWAS ... but will be anchored in South oz for a while with the new job.
Hey Tim... any annual hunting/SHOT shows here in SA? or even a big military swop an trade?
Thanks for all the welcomes guys...

Not much in SA sadly mate. The wild deer expo in Vic and the various SSAA SHOT shows are probably the biggest industry type shows. There used to be an annual arms & militaria fair in Adelaide but not sure if it still happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg