Hi from Canada eh!

Enjoy your research and planning. Welcome

Your 280ai will be great for kudu and oryx. Great to have you on the forum.

Wow, I’m blown away by the support here. What a great community you all have built and what an amazing resource. So far some of the questions I’ve had have been answered just by searching threads and this is just day one….too easy.

I am going to ask a question that does have other threads about it but I’ll be a bit more specific. We are leaning towards Namibia quite heavily and I haven’t been able to find anything that says that’s a dumb idea. If we are to go there what time of year would you go and why? Excluding September to December as that’s the bulk of the hunting season here and I don’t want to miss much if any of it….

Hi from Ontario. I'm about to depart for my fourth trip to RSA. I only planned to go once but ... well ... you'll see. Thirteen skulls on the wall and waiting for a crate of eleven more to ship.

I find kudu and buffalo the most challenging to hunt. Three of the former and two buff on my walls. Sable are spectacular trophies but I didn't find mine a difficult hunt. Waterbuck are about on par with mule deer for huntability. Zebra, gemsbuck, and hartebeest are wary buggers. Usually lots of eyes to contend with. Springbuck and black wildebeest are a challenge just to get close enough for a shot. They like the wide open spaces and also herd animals. Bleasbuck are a good starter. And impala. Usually lots to pick from. One of you should consider nyala. Tough hunt and a beautiful animal. Stunning. Eland don't do anything for me. Don't know why. Just me.

Don't forget your bug dope. African tick bite fever can kick your butt. Ask me how I know!
View attachment 538380
That looks rough! Any recommendations on what to bring?

Hi folks, it was recommended that I do a quick introduction of myself, so here it is.
I’m from British Columbia, I’m 40, I love to backpack hunt in the mountains especially for sheep. I have a wife and 2 boys that also love the mountains. The reason I’m here…my greatest friend and hunting partner wants to go to Africa (so do I obviously) so here we are. Been kicking the idea around for awhile but we’re serious now and have settled on 2025 for the trip and leaning towards Namibia.

Thanks in advance for all the help. I’m gonna need some. Farthest I’ve travelled to hunt is Saskatchewan so…..
Mppmppp

Wow, I’m blown away by the support here. What a great community you all have built and what an amazing resource. So far some of the questions I’ve had have been answered just by searching threads and this is just day one….too easy.

I am going to ask a question that does have other threads about it but I’ll be a bit more specific. We are leaning towards Namibia quite heavily and I haven’t been able to find anything that says that’s a dumb idea. If we are to go there what time of year would you go and why? Excluding September to December as that’s the bulk of the hunting season here and I don’t want to miss much if any of it….
I had the pleasure of travelling and hunting in Namibia last month with 3 of your countrymen from Ontario. For 2 of them it was their first trip to Africa. We hired a 4x4. Drove to Etosha, across Damaraland, down the Skeleton Coast. A few other things and managed to fit in a weeks hunting.
Namibia in short is awesome. I like April to June in Namibia, good weather and off peak for traveling.

Welcome from our side too!

Welcome to AH backstrap! I think that you will enjoy your time here... Glad you found us.

Greetings backstrap,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Any time April through September is generally very decent weather for hunting in Namibia.

When you have a spare minute, take a look into the Khomas Safaris web site.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

That looks rough! Any recommendations on what to bring?
Most swear by Permithrin. A lot depends on where you'll be and the time of year. I was surprised one nailed me last trip but it was towards end of East Cape winter late August. Consult your lodge/PH before you leave. As to mosquitoes, I saw a dead one in my sink the day I checked in for my first trip and that's it.

Tick bite fever is estimated to infect 25% of visitors returning from Africa. Symptoms can vary. Overall it didn't hit me as severely as some. I had no fever. If I'd discovered the bite site earlier (it was on back side of my calf), I could have been treated more effectively and probably got off very lightly. It's a bacteria in the ricketsia family and requires treatment with tetracycline family antibiotics (NOT penicillin). I responded to meds very quickly.

When the time is right lots of us can help you prepare for the trip. I have taken guns over every trip and can help with that if needed (renting one is much easier).

Welcome aboard!

welcome to the Forum we are not in Namibia but have some good hunting in SA,

good luck with this exiting time of planning a hunt!

Greetings backstrap,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Any time April through September is generally very decent weather for hunting in Namibia.

When you have a spare minute, take a look into the Khomas Safaris web site.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.
Great, thank you. April/may would work great for us. I will definitely have a look.

For me the best time to go to Africa is mid June to end Aug. Because as you say above, I am retired and addicted to hunting BC. Normally I leave home mid sept and return end Nov. Summer safaris only stop or take away the hali and salmon fishing seasons. Our summer is Africa's winter, I much prefer cooler mornings on truck than bugs. Africa is unlike home species seasons, i.e.; moose are active in specific rut weeks but can be hard to find other times, Africa for common PG is not like that, there are animals to look at every day, every hr and success for mature males is almost 100%. Sort of like shopping, pick, choose and pass on many before you shoot. There is a reason 10 day hunts with 8-10 species are the norm. Imagine that here at home. 21 day hunt=1 animal, not 20.

I do recommend Namibia, definitely NOT a dumb idea, its far "wilder", less fences and more "hunt" than my experience in SA, but not as good as Zim, Mozambique or maybe Botswana.

I do strongly suggest keeping an open mind, there are some amazing, outstanding hunts offered on here from excellent outfitters. Keep an eye on deals and offers, you may be surprised.

If you have any questions I am open to answer any and all PM's. I just changed my shipping company for last safari due to a fellow Canadian from BC contacting me. This site works.

MB

Welcome to AH!!

Welcome to AH and the posting side! Have fun planning! Give us a call or email if we can assist you in any way.

Welcome to AH!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverGood

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross