Hi from Canada eh!

backstrap

Reaction score
Member of
Wild sheep society of bc, Rocky Mountain goat alliance, bha
Hi folks, it was recommended that I do a quick introduction of myself, so here it is.
I’m from British Columbia, I’m 40, I love to backpack hunt in the mountains especially for sheep. I have a wife and 2 boys that also love the mountains. The reason I’m here…my greatest friend and hunting partner wants to go to Africa (so do I obviously) so here we are. Been kicking the idea around for awhile but we’re serious now and have settled on 2025 for the trip and leaning towards Namibia.

Thanks in advance for all the help. I’m gonna need some. Farthest I’ve travelled to hunt is Saskatchewan so…..

:S Welcome:

Welcome to AH, Hoosier

I just finished up a build on a defiance anti in 280ai shooting the Barnes 168LRX that I’m hoping will work on plains game…opinion???

Me and my partner will also buy or build a .300 or .338 of some kind to bring along as well. We won’t be doing any dangerous game on this trip.

Any advice is more than welcomed

Reactions: WAB
Welcome fellow Canadian. Have you bought any Africa worthy rifles yet?
I just finished up a build on a defiance anti in 280ai shooting the Barnes 168LRX that I’m hoping will work on plains game…opinion???

Me and my partner will also buy or build a .300 or .338 of some kind to bring along as well. We won’t be doing any dangerous game on this trip.

Any advice is more than welcomed

Welcome to AH Backstrap. Namibia is a good destination, it is too early to have an idea about what you want to hunt?

Welcome to you! I love Canada! Glad to have you here!

Welcome to AH, you picked a great place to start your journey to hunt Africa. Lots of knowledgeable people here. Lots of fellow Canucks here as well.

Welcome aboard. Plenty of fine folks here that are willing to share their wealth of knowledge and experience. I don’t have any experience with a 280AI but I know that the 300 win mag is very effective on all plains game, with the right bullets. What animals are y’all looking to hunt on your first trip over?

Giday Backstrap and welcome to the A H forums

Welcome to the best site about Africa and safari from a fellow Canuck and BC resident. Wealth of knowledge, wisdom and info for your reading pleasure right here.

Namibia is an awesome first safari destination, I suggest including a few specific species while there. Dik Dik and mnt zebra come to mind. No need for any long range weapon, plain jane moose, elk, deer gun works great for PG.

Enjoy the inbound fun ride.

MB

Welcome backstrap, I am a family man in Kamloops BC. We have travelled, explored and hunted in South Africa a number of times This year we will be three generations of Gallups hunting in the bushveld in the Waterberg Mountains in Limpopo Province, South Africa. We love it there. Let me know if I can be of any help.

There are lots of good guys to help you make good choices and plans on AH. Keven Peacocke, above, is one of them.

I have used a 7x64 on plains game including blu wildebeest, kudu and zebra. With good bullets like your X bullet your 280 AI will work fine.

Take off, eh!
Brian Gallup, Kamloops, BC

Welcome!! Glad to have you here!!

Hi folks, it was recommended that I do a quick introduction of myself, so here it is.
I’m from British Columbia, I’m 40, I love to backpack hunt in the mountains especially for sheep. I have a wife and 2 boys that also love the mountains. The reason I’m here…my greatest friend and hunting partner wants to go to Africa (so do I obviously) so here we are. Been kicking the idea around for awhile but we’re serious now and have settled on 2025 for the trip and leaning towards Namibia.

Thanks in advance for all the help. I’m gonna need some. Farthest I’ve travelled to hunt is Saskatchewan so…..
Welcome! For us to help what are the animals you wish to hunt and budget you have? We can best assist you with that and you will find all of us would love to help you

Hi from Ontario. I'm about to depart for my fourth trip to RSA. I only planned to go once but ... well ... you'll see. Thirteen skulls on the wall and waiting for a crate of eleven more to ship.

I find kudu and buffalo the most challenging to hunt. Three of the former and two buff on my walls. Sable are spectacular trophies but I didn't find mine a difficult hunt. Waterbuck are about on par with mule deer for huntability. Zebra, gemsbuck, and hartebeest are wary buggers. Usually lots of eyes to contend with. Springbuck and black wildebeest are a challenge just to get close enough for a shot. They like the wide open spaces and also herd animals. Bleasbuck are a good starter. And impala. Usually lots to pick from. One of you should consider nyala. Tough hunt and a beautiful animal. Stunning. Eland don't do anything for me. Don't know why. Just me.

Don't forget your bug dope. African tick bite fever can kick your butt. Ask me how I know!
20220911_192024.jpg

Last edited:
Hello and welcome. It’s a great group of folks here and please, if you have a question feel free to ask.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois