hi from California

Welcome to AH shooterdave! Lots to learn here so enjoy the site. Do you already have an idea where you want to go on your first African hunting safari?

Welcome to AH Dave! You've found a great resource for researching your first safari.

Welcome to AH.
You have found an excellent resource to asset you.
Good luck with your planning.

Welcome to AH, Dave!

Hi Dave :)

Welcome to AH. :D

Now is a great time to start your planning process for a few years down the line.

Most hunters have plans in the works a few years out. Looking for the right area, game, and time slot to go.

There are some very good PH's on here that may be able to assist you in your first trip.

Also if you are a little flexible in your work schedule, some real great safari options become available . :)

Welcome to AH Dave! You've come to the right place to do your research there's a great bunch of guys on here who are willing to answer all the questions they can enjoy the planning and feel free to ask all the questions you like.

gday dave welcome and enjoy AH,
good luck with the saving and the planning ,mate .

Hi and welcome! Fire away with your questions.

Welcome shooter Dave. As others have mentioned planning ahead is very important so you are starting about the right time 2 years out. I have only been twice but learned a lot through the process each time. If I can be of any help PM me and I'll give you a phone number to call me. We can talk live......it's easiest that way. What ever you do check out the outfitter and talk voice to voice with someone who has used them recently. Write all you questions down ahead if time and ask everyone you can about any concern.
I did just that and everything worked out fine.
Charlie

This is the right place!

Welcome!

Welcome to AH, Dave !

Thank you all for the welcomes! What is a good rifle and caliber for plains game? I have a sako 85 bavarian in 30-06 w a zeiss conquest 3-9x40 scope. I was thinking about a cz550 in .375 h&h but that might be overkill. I was also considering a blaser r8 or mauser m12 in 9.3x62.

Your .30-06 is a little on the light side for Eland but with a good bullet and patience to make a good shot, it will work. And thus, it will work on everything else on down.

That said, a .375 or the 9.3 is all that much more of a good thing. A .375 shooting 250gr bullets will give you roughly the same ballistics as the -06 shooting 180gr bullets.

If you opt for one of the larger calibers I'd go with the .375 as you'll meet the minimum caliber required for DG whereas that can't be said for the 9.3 in some places.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdwinaHedr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you