Hi Everyone! I'm Sue from Idaho..and hopelessly addicted to Africa!

Sue Tidwell

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
SCI, DSC, RMEF, Wild Sheep Society, etc
Hunted
Tanzania, Namibia, Mozambique
Several years ago, I “reluctantly” accompanied my husband on a big game hunting safari in remote Tanzania. The adventure literally changed my life! Listening to the haunting cries of lions and hyenas outside our tent was terrifying. Let’s just say the single cot my husband was sleeping on got WAY more crowded. Nevertheless, I came to treasure the blood-chilling sounds. I came to call it the African symphony -- a ghostly composition of chittering, chattering, cooing, cawing, shrieking, growling, and grunting. Here is another tidbit. I’m a non-hunter…and I was NOT thrilled about my husband hunting Africa’s spectacular wildlife. The experience, however, opened my eyes to truths I had never considered; I am now a passionate advocate of well-managed hunting. Ultimately, I made a promise to our female game scout that I would try to help others like me understand. That promise evolved into Cries of the Savanna. Although I never meant to be an author, that’s the focus of my life right now. As most of you know, one trip to Africa is NEVER enough. Rick and I have since gone to Namibia and Mozambique…and hope to keep returning. Anyway, I LOVE talking about Africa…so feel free to reach out with questions…or if you need help convincing a loved one to join you on safari!

Being an Africa addict since my first trip to Namibia in 1985 I just loved to hear your story- and especially the outcome! Our fraternity of passionate africa hunters and stout supporters of ethical hunting would love to hear more, I think!

Wow, awesome post. Thank you for doing your bit to get the truth out. I must get a copy of your book!

Welcome to AH Sue! I'm sure that our community will welcome someone with your perspective and experience to share.

Welcome to AH ! I’m sure you’ll fit right in :)

Welcome to AH! You just gave me a new idea for a Christmas present from my wife….she’s been asking me for them.

Welcome to the forum. I’ll be on the lookout for your book.

Giday Sue and welcome to the A H forums. That was a wonderfull intro tyhat shows how good honest information changes minds.

Welcome aboard! I read bit & pieces of your book on Amazon, and I'm going to get it. (y) (y)

Welcome! I enjoyed the podcast you did with Big Game Hunting (I think) as you spoke about the book and your experiences!!

Welcome aboard Sue. Now that you've seen what most African hunting is, i.e. managed hunting, by chance have you tried hunting yourself? Do you shoot and or own a rifle?

Being an Africa addict since my first trip to Namibia in 1985 I just loved to hear your story- and especially the outcome! Our fraternity of passionate africa hunters and stout supporters of ethical hunting would love to hear more, I think!
Ahhh, thank you so much! I tell you, Africa just embeds itself in your heart and never lets go. I can barely write or talk about it without getting all misty-eyed. It's funny, you go to Africa for the wildlife...but the people are what truly capture your heart. Or at least, they did in my case. We were in a remote camp in Rungwa West game reserve, four hours from the nearest village. We had 21 people (representing 6 different tribes), seeing to our every need. They were a close-knit group who warmly adopted us into their fold. I became especially attached to Lilian our game scout. She spoke good English and taught me SOOO much...including a lot of Swahi! Fortunately, thanks to the sorcery of the internet, we are still good friends today. In fact, she helped with the book. Her young mind is like a steel trap. If I couldn't remember a detail of the safari, she was just an internet click away. In Cries of the Savanna, I take readers on the journey with me to experience the wonder and peril as I experience it. Then I weave in the conservation facts as I learn myself. I also bring to life the people I came to love, hoping that they will form an attachment, ultimately caring about what happens to them. Once I get non-hunters to read the book, they are blown away by what they learn and typically walk away with an entirely different perspective. Since the backdrop is a big game hunting safari, the hard part is getting them to read it in the first place...but I am working hard to get into as many hands as possible. Here is one of my favorite Amazon reviews from a non-hunter:

"When I first picked up "Cries of the Savanna", I fancied myself an "activist" of sorts. I was very against hunting, ESPECIALLY in Africa. I heard all sorts of tales about terrible cruelty, and I even knew someone who had a "trophy room" of animals he had poached. It completely disgusted me. With a bit of a chip on my shoulder, I cracked open "Cries of the Savanna" with a sneer on my lips and judgement all prepared to flow.

What I wasn't prepared for, was how Sue Tidwell would take me on an emotional roller coaster, or the education I would receive. Not only did Sue make me laugh, and at times cry, with her memories of her youth, and her adventures in Africa, she educated me on the people and animals that live there. I honestly hadn't considered Africa's people, or how living with the animals we admire and almost revere would affect them. As a bonus, I learned about animals I thought I knew, and some I hadn't even heard of. I found myself holding my breath right along with her as the days passed and adventures came in all kinds of ways. Sue didn't take the fluffy 5 star Africa tour, no no! She was out in the middle of nowhere, hot, sweaty, scared, and I found my opinions changing as hers did.

What moved me the most, is that Sue is an everyday person. She laughs, cries, and loves fiercely. Africa changed her life, and by doing so, changed mine as well. EVERYONE should give this book a read, whether you agree with her philosophies or not. It was not just an eye opener for me, I think it could very well change how the world views Africa, and her people."

You can also read more reviews from hunters and non-hunters on my website. www.suetidwell.com

Hi Sue! Welcome. I really enjoyed your interview on the Big Game Hunting Podcast.

If you all want a good listen regarding her experience and some about her book, check it out. Show 208.
Ahhh, thanks so much for sharing that. I LOVE doing podcasts! They are so fun and give me a chance to talk about Africa, which I never get sick of doing.

Wow, awesome post. Thank you for doing your bit to get the truth out. I must get a copy of your book!
Thanks Kevin! If you do, I'd love to hear what you think of it afterwards.

Welcome to the forum!!
Thank you! It's exciting to be here. I see you are from Northwestern PA. I grew up in a small town an hour north of Pittsburgh...so I "married into" Idaho. LOL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VEXCatheri

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!