Heym vs. Verney-Carron?

Daniel Cary

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
If anyone cares to share their thoughts, anything would be Appreciated!!!

"500 N.E." I came across Two readily available and both new. There was an 89B, undoubtedly Heym with great communication from Mr. Sells. Beautiful, 26" & pushing 12 pounds. I was introduced to a VC today, previously displayed at DSC, however, this thing is absolutely stunning! Both are equal in cost. Dimensions are not that critical for reasons.

I suppose it's up to the individual, but for resale .. I've seen used VC's at a fraction for what's asked & to the contrary, Heym's from 89 that are still pushing $20k
vc27.jpg

My apologies as this was covered below, for the most part?!?

Which fits better?

Personally, with the cost being the same I'd go for the Heym 89B.

Which fits better?

Personally, with the cost being the same I'd go for the Heym 89B.
Both equally fit very well. Thank you for the personal insight however regarding Heym, dollar for dollar...

One other thing, Heym comes from factory ready to accept RMRs, all you need is to ask them for the mount (Doktor or Trijicon). VC you either have to ask (at an additional cost) when they build it or send it to JJ for him to put the mount on. JJ's version is similar to Heym's and very low profile.

The other difference is intercepting sears for additional safety. Heym has it and VC doesn't. So, if one drops the rifle and safety is off the VC can go off.

I have 2 Heym doubles and love them, both Safari 88's with upgrade wood! and accuracy with loads recommended by JJ were spot on and frankly quit impressive! Looked seriously at VC but will stick with Heym!

One other thing, Heym comes from factory ready to accept RMRs, all you need is to ask them for the mount (Doktor or Trijicon). VC you either have to ask (at an additional cost) when they build it or send it to JJ for him to put the mount on. JJ's version is similar to Heym's and very low profile.

The other difference is intercepting sears for additional safety. Heym has it and VC doesn't. So, if one drops the rifle and safety is off the VC can go off.
Intercepting sears are availible for the VC

Check with VC then...or the distributor is confused

Check with VC then...or the distributor is confused
I have a new (a year old) VC in .450 NE, no intercepting sears. My Heym 88B in .500 NE does have them.

When I was going to get a 9.3x74R the VC USA distributor told me that was not an option. I am not going to second guess the guy that has been selling them for decades. VC has a horrible web site that provides no information in regards to double rifles so one has to go to their distributor for information. If I can't trust their distributor for information then I wouldn't order their rifles.

Do you own a VC with intercepting sears, if so when did that become standard?

From what I gather, from my personal research (I don't own either, and I haven't had a chance to try either, but I know a few people that own either or both... As well as I have read a lot o' reviews)... I would give the edge to Heym... There is a reason that they are very popular among the PH crowd...

It s an optional extra when you order the rifle. I have it on a quote I got from Jerome for a 500 NE second set of barrels 450/400 NE 3", when he measured me for the stock, before he went to Rigby. It was also explained in detail to me by him.

I would also not buy from a distributor who does not know what is and is not availible on the product he sells....speak to the manufacturer and get it straight from the horses mouth....

All things being equal personally I would go with a Heym. A bit of a chev-ford-dodge argument truly but those 89b are a nice throwback to the British styling.

I know of only a couple small issues with VC that happened to others, I almost bought a 450-400 VC that had an issue on safari and the fellow had to use his bolt action rest of the trip. And a lot of DG PHs run Heyms for reliability

It s an optional extra when you order the rifle. I have it on a quote I got from Jerome for a 500 NE second set of barrels 450/400 NE 3", when he measured me for the stock, before he went to Rigby. It was also explained in detail to me by him.
To clarify, for VC it is an option that one has to pay for and for Heym it is standard on every rifle. Got it.

Correct

And getting back to OP's options most likely if they have not been ordered with intercepting sears (and seeing that the US distributor does not give that option) the Heym that he is looking at has intercepting sears and the VC would not have them.

When I ordered my VC in 2013 I was told that I could get any option that I wanted, including intercepting sears. I could have bought a Heym 88b. I liked the fit and finish and overall look and feel of the VC better. I have had no issues with it whatsoever after a few hundred rounds both factory and reloads. Buy with confidence whichever way you go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoelKalman

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg