Heym Doubles

bassasdaindia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
hi all , please share your opinions and views on Heym doubles.

I have followed Matt85 thread regarding Merkel and Krieghoff but would appreciate comments regarding the Heym.

the caliber is 450/400

thanks in advance.

Hello Bassasdaindia,

The .450/.400 NE 3" is one of the best DG hunting cartridges ever designed in my opinion.
Also in my opinion, the Heym 88B and / or PH model is about as fine a double rifle as one can find for less than about $20,000.US

My one and only double these days is a 1980s vintage 88B in .458 Winchester with 25.5" ejector barrels.
It balances like a grouse gun and it regulates like a spendy English best.
At the time I bought it, the same rifle in .450/400 was $4,000. more in price (both used).
If they had been comparable in price, I definitely would have bought the .450/.400.

I find the .400 recoil comparable to the .375 H&H except slower.
It has the reputation of penetrating further than the .458, given the same brand/style bullet in each.
The .458 recoil is pretty sporting, both fairly heavy and fairly fast as well (high chamber pressure).
I have shot a .450/400 double (Harrison & Hussey) from the bench but I do not have any desire to fire my .458 from the bench.

A .450/400 Heym, with 26" ejector barrels, would be the cat's pajamas.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Hi Velo Dog

Thanks for your reply

I am not familiar with the term " the cat's pajamas" but I assume it's good :)

your comments back up my thoughts regarding the double.

Appreciated.

Hi Velo Dog

Thanks for your reply

I am not familiar with the term " the cat's pajamas" but I assume it's good :)

your comments back up my thoughts regarding the double.

Appreciated.

Yes, "the cat's pajamas" means - to the last small detail.
It is a saying, from the Ozark Plateau (my mother is from there) or Appalachia Mountains or some other backwoods place like that, here in N. America.
Another one is "the bee's knees", which has the same meaning.

Back on track: As long as it it has been well cared for, you can't go wrong with a Heym double.

t
Yes, "the cat's pajamas" means - to the last small detail.
It is a saying, from the Ozark Plateau (my mother is from there) or Appalachia Mountains or some other backwoods place like that, here in N. America.
Another one is "the bee's knees", which has the same meaning.

Back on track: As long as it it has been well cared for, you can't go wrong with a Heym double.

the Heym is brand new ! I just need to take the plunge and make the purchase as well as convince myself that I REALLY need a Double :D

Bass... Heym makes a quality double rifle.

Seeing as you are purchasing a new Heym double rifle- i would suggest that you look at the availability of store purchased Ammo. If you travel what is available in the country you are hunting, if your ammo fails to show up. And this does happen from time to time.

I have seen 450 NE , 470 NE and 500 NE in stores where you are able to purchase. I think that i read that in Africa the 470 NE and 500 NE were the easiest rounds to find. with the 450 NE being next. Other caliber round were difficult at best. They also listed bolt action ammo that was available in stores.

If i look on line and in distributors catalogs i can find additional NE ammo.

Just something to think about.

Hi James , I live in South Africa so I am not worried about traveling with ammo as I reload and the double (if I do decide to purchase ) will be used in Africa.

t

the Heym is brand new ! I just need to take the plunge and make the purchase as well as convince myself that I REALLY need a Double :D

Bassasdaindia,

Brand new?

I'm jealous.

I have owned 4 so far but only one at a time and 3 were well used but not abused, long before I bought them.

All four I have bought on payments, like some folks do for a motor bike or a small sailboat, etc.
(I don't own any of that junk because it burns up my rifle/shotgun/fly rod money.)

I think you REALLY need a double rifle, I know I do (in case some wayward tyrannosaurus tries to crush my wife's flower garden or some such).

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
t

of course you need a double!! it will go nicely with the .404 and .416 rigby :)

I have a Heym 88B in 450/400. I think they are some of the finest doubles you can buy. I've posted pics of how accurate it shoots on here. With 26 tubes and auto ejectors and interrupting sears they are a serious dangerous game rifle. If you can afford it over the others I would say go for it.

I´ve handled a Heym PH in .470 NE, perfect balance, works flawlessly. To me, my dream double.

thank you for all the comments and opinions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg