AZDAVE

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa,Namibia, Alaska,lower 48
A couple months ago I dropped into William Larkin Moore and Sons in Scottsdale. (I should know better)
They had a very Nice Heym 55B 7x65R O/U and a chapuis 7x57R on the rack. (Yes I should have just said hi and went about the other stops I need to make)
Handled both doubles and they offered me a deal on either one. Told them I would consider their offers and get back with them (Escaped with my wallet intact)
Fast forward a month and the doubles had not escaped my thoughts. I reached out to @HWL as I knew he had some experience with the Heym's, I have owned
several chapuis's so was comfortable with my knowledge of their products. A couple Pm's back and forth and I want to thank @HWL for providing some very helpful insite and information. I called WLM up and worked out a deal and picked up my new double. Located some brass and a set of dies. I have some Privi 174gr softs and solids don my loading shelf and set out to see how this rifle shoots and find a load that shoots. Have taken it to the range several times and have developed a load that both softs and solids hit the same POI and have a nice 4 shot 2in group at 70 yards. With the square blocky style sights that is as well as I will be able to shoot it. Shot the steel gongs and 100 and 150yards so am very comfortable with it for a hunting tool.

7x65.jpg
7x65R.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats! Next we'll want a hunting report using it. I'm sure it will provide many years of use.
Bruce

Very nice. Now send it to JJ for detachable mounts so you can take full advantage of that caliber and the rifle's inherent accuracy.

Is it true that fitting aftermarket nounts and a scope isn't a good idea because the rib isn't soldered on that strongly?

Is it true that fitting aftermarket nounts and a scope isn't a good idea because the rib isn't soldered on that strongly?
That is why you never let a shade tree gunsmith touch such a rifle. Claw or Recknagel mounts will work perfectly on that rifle.

@Red Leg your read my mind, I intend to speak with him at DSC.

It is a Heym....look at the rib on that rifle it isn't going nowhere with the right mounts fitted by a competent gunsmith

The old way was claw mounts and JJ certainly will apply them flawlessly. The new way that continues to gain traction is the use of the EAW pivot mount. Experts swear by them, I find the perpendicular force of rotating them onto a rib to be rather scary. That's an awful lot of leverage compared to a claw mount.

I'd suggest you run an advert here for a rail mount straight tube german scope. They pop up from time to time as new old stock. With the rail scope selected, JJ will be able to get the right saddle and claws to install it perfectly.

Nice! Congrats on this purchase!

@AZDAVE the best ammo for the 7x65r and the one Heym currently uses for their regulation load is a GECO loading. They no longer import that ammo to the USA. AfricaHunting fellow member @markferrigno had a fair amount of this ammunition for sale at one point. You may wish to reach him and see if he has any of it left. GECO is part of RWS so the ammo will be good and you'll certainly be glad you had the brass. The ammo was quite reasonable.

Geco TM,Plus is 2 good ones to try, and Brenneke also.

@rookhawk I will reach out to him after the holidays. We have a super busy schedule from now to after DSC. I have looked for some of the factory ammo and all I have located in the current ammo availability, and have found some S&B but that is it. However found enough lapua and norma brass for me to keep happy shooting for a while.

The old way was claw mounts and JJ certainly will apply them flawlessly. The new way that continues to gain traction is the use of the EAW pivot mount. Experts swear by them, I find the perpendicular force of rotating them onto a rib to be rather scary. That's an awful lot of leverage compared to a claw mount.

I'd suggest you run an advert here for a rail mount straight tube german scope. They pop up from time to time as new old stock. With the rail scope selected, JJ will be able to get the right saddle and claws to install it perfectly.
The Recknagel is essentially the same as the EAW and is what VC factory mounts on their rifles.

I have a Heym SR20 in 7x57 - they make good guns

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross