Heym 577? again

Daniel Cary

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
I searched through related threads last night & couldn't find for the life of me Heym's "Frame Chart" for the 88B someone had posted ..
It showed the 88 in .577 available for the "Large Frame/up to .577" & the "Jumbo Frame/to also accommodate the .600"

Simply, could Heym build an 577 88 in a Boxlock? .. without stepping up to the Jumbo/Sidelock?
Thank You!
Photo courtesy of @Lowdi
1682107281278.png

Last edited:
I’m sure Chris will chime in with the definitive answer. But I’m pretty sure when I talked to him you could get the Gross box action in 470,500, and 577 in either the 88B or the 89B action that is there largest box lock action before going to the jumbo action. I do know the 89 B can defiantly be had in the 577 as I was going to order one once my 450/400 finishes up.

I think we have a group from Heym hunting with us in June, I hope they bring some nice doubles with them !

I’ve personally shot a Heym 88 in 577. It had a case colored frame, and was definitely not one of the jumbo actions. It weighed 13 pounds with two cartridges in the chamber, so that places it in the “large box” category. That being said, Chris Sells would have to chime in if you can still order a new 88 in 577.

My friend, Tanzanian white hunter Mark Sullivan (of Nitro Express Safaris) currently owns and uses a Heym Model 88B boxlock ejector in .577 Nitro Express as his backup rifle of choice. He bought it secondhand from a client.

Beautiful machines & great feedback, thank you.
Really curious if that indeed can be the case, an 88B, "Large" Boxlock in 577.

My friend, Tanzanian white hunter Mark Sullivan (of Nitro Express Safaris) currently owns and uses a Heym Model 88B boxlock ejector in .577 Nitro Express as his backup rifle of choice. He bought it secondhand from a client.
What happened to his 577 Heym sidelock he had built for him?

Thank you @frog stealer & (@Hunter-Habib ): "I recall you mentioning that"

That was undoubtedly the finest machine I've ever seen, imo.
It just prompted the question if an 88 can be built in 577 without the extraordinary start cost of the Jumbo/Sidelock? .. or going the 89 route.

@Lowdi .. That is a beautiful 88 above.

Surely that can’t be the reason??
From Mark:
"Hi Habib, always good to hear from you. In this video you will see Mark Egger using my sidelock.577 Heym. It’s now his. He bought it from me. I’m using a .577 Heym boxlock that I bought from a client who had upgraded to a .577 Holland. I made many upgrades to both Heyms. The boxlock I still have. It weighs 12 1/2 pounds."

"I gave Mark Egger the choice of both rifles. He picked the sidelock. With that said, boxlocks are fabulous guns. Of the two Heyms I actually prefer the boxlock".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrittGibb4

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross