Hey you humps cop some lead

$25 a day, PIE In the SKY, C’mon
I trust you, to a degree, I bought your mates rifle and I like it!
But I’ve been in the classroom, I’ve been in the field and I have witnessed some stuff and above all I have called Bullshit on some educated people when required. Not a career starter but F@&k it fact.
I know some facts and figures but if people are spending their $ having a go then it aids the economy. I reckon South Africa gets a lot of income from hunting, increasing their economy.
We have never successfully eradicated a pest of mainland Australia but what we have done has not proven itself either.

They destroy fences among other things. Australia did not have any hard hooves animals so from and environmental perspective they all do damage. I’m not a greenie but a shooter who is happy to cull animals and the challenge is doing it well. Ethically and being good at it.
We do not hunt natives in the sense of the word hunt. We are only permitted to hunt introduced species. They will not allow a an introduced species to prosper for sport, recreation or pleasure. Australia has grazing or farming of pigs, goats, sheep and cattle for food and agricultural production. Introduced species are a threat to agriculture and conservation. Unless of course it is Brumbies, they are a threat to the natural Balance of right and wrong. People get to hung up on them because they are horses.
I thought that they were still shooting kangaroos. Maybe I'm wrong? I started to add dingos, but they were introduced too. So are the 'roos fully protected now? Just curious.

@Doug Hamilton
Roos are taken under licence. There is a generous quota in place some are shot illegally for bait, pet food or just unauthorised shooters culling or shooting s they can be taken in the spotlight and some areas are so large no one is able to police it.
Dingos are believed to have come across with the Aboriginals 40,000 years I learned that in school 40 years ago. Now they tell me they arrived nearly 80,000 years ago. Mmm my maths doesn’t add up. 40,000plus 40 is 80,000 right?

Anyway Dingos are mostly fair game in various areas as they are a wild dog and a menace to farming, particularly sheep.

We don’t really hunt native animals. It’s mostly protected under legislation of each state under a wildlife act.

So what are camels good for? I understand why they were introduced to Australia; that makes sense to me, yeah? Camel bone is fine for... arts and crafts or whatever, but can you eat camel? Camel-hair is used for clothes but is the hide suitable for leather? I mean, what do you do with a pile of dead camels at the end of the day, exactly? Turn then into glue and dog food? I'm genuinely curious.

I have not eaten camel meat but I’m told that it’s very good.
In fact some grazers in camel country prefer it to their own prime beef.

probably because it is free:oops:
bruce.
I think Bruce is on it, convince your mates that Camel is good. Oh , you want a Killer, no worries try this it’s great. Help yourself to a whole Camel before you go.

I think Bruce is on it, convince your mates that Camel is good. Oh , you want a Killer, no worries try this it’s great. Help yourself to a whole Camel before you go.
As the great American tobacco man R.J. Reynolds might have said, "Go out there and smoke those Camels."

I wonder if they will still go through with it? Given the wild fires and the massive amount of animal life lost they could well need all the specimens they can get for repopulating barren areas. An invasive species is better then no game at all.
@Skinnersblade
Don't need them to repopulate Lawrence. They are a bloody menace as you would have read. We are the only country in the world to export camels to Arabic countries and have the purest strain in the world.
We could knock over h ALF a million and still have enough for trade and export.
I would like to have a go at a few with the Whelen and some 225 or 250 grain Woodleighs.
Bob

Ok, so the area the camels are in might never carry a wildfire. Well at least carry a fire that will drive the Camels into areas of better vegetation. The are they are culling these From is essentially a desert, that why they haven’t been successfully controlled previously. Camels survive in the desert. They were introduced to cross the desert among other things, like most things they were abandoned when no longer required. Like all invasive animals they just thrive in certain conditions and cause problems. We have wild horse wreaking havoc on some of our most delicate and fertile high country of our nation but controlling them becomes political and the minority become outraged.
I speak from a view of a person who has worked in BioSecurity, Conservation and also as a frontline Wildfire firefighting. I imagine many don’t know our landscape as we don’t know yours. There is. whole lot of desert and arid land In Central Australia with our fertile soils, rainforest and other densely vegetated areas are mostly coastal becoming more sparse as you go inland.
2000 Camels a Day, humane destruction, professional shooters .
I dare say it takes more than 2 bullets to consider a kill. They are supposed to make a call on it, call a kill. I agree a helicopter and spine shot will get results but. By definition they are professional all are deemed competent under a training package, some are more professional than others some are more competent.

Perhaps they could allow hunters under strict conditions, making a dent in a population is hard but aerial shooting is a big cost that’s 20k worth of bullets minimum, 4x1.5 hr runs in a helicopter is 6 hr days for the machine/s and pilots.
How many Camels can you shoot in an hour? Maybe 100? 200 rounds fired? 300 rounds in a run. New shooter, while one rests 4 runs per. A nine 1200 bullets a day, make it 1500. X 4 runs 600 shot per aircraft between 2 shooters

600 camels per day per aircraft that’s 15 aircraft days 3 aircraft at about 12k per day plus all added wages and logistics . I hope it works oht ok but I think it is ambitious.
@ CBH
Chris there was a write up in Australian shooter Mag or sporting shooter about a camel hunt that was a complete stuff up. I think the cost was around $1,000 PER camel with piss poor results.
I hope this is better organized.
Bob

@Dr Ray
We were at a local market one day and my son spotted some cryvacced camel meat.
Short story BLOODY BEAUTIFUL
Bob

Late reply, just saw this thread. Most of what has been written is correct. If I could get on a camel hunt again, I would even if it was paying a reasonable price per day. $25 a day is way to low for any operator to make a profit. However It would have to be take as many as you can for no increased cost. After all we want the numbers down. Yes Camel is good eating. Better than beef. Bob the Whelen is more than enough for a Camel. They drop easily to a 270 if hit right-heart, neck. Dont go for the head as they move it at the wrong time. Biggest camel I have seen was dropped with a 270 to the back of the neck from 40mts. I tend to use 35 cal and up because I can.

Some camels numbers are beneficial on Cattle Stations. They have an enzyme in their gut that allows them to get the most nutrients possible out of their food. They release this into the water they drink from and helps the cattle that ingest it to do the same, I am told. More than 6 to 12 depending on the size of the place means to many, apparently.

Last edited:
Greenies tend not to care about people with real needs and only like to pay for their nonsense with other peoples money.
@degoins
The greenies out here say we will not leave until we get what we want but I have to go in on Tuesday morning to put my unemployment form in.
Bob

They snivel and whine about doing all this stuff but they want someone else to actually do it -- with their own money. But they sure as hell will take the credit.

I'd pay decent money to go on culling safari camel ,water buffalo and pigs. I remember watching a short movie about companies culling water buffalo back in the 70's or 80's and the meat being exported i think mostly to the US. I get logistically its a nightmare.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg