AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
DSC
Hunted
USA, South Africa
Hello all!

One fine day this last summer I was sitting at the dinner table with my wife and amazing teenage kids. The topic of hunting came up and one of my daughters asked me what my "dream hunt" would be. As a responsible husband and father of 4, I never dared allowed myself to even of think of a "dream hunt." They each started to press the matter and I confessed that my dream hunt is Africa.
Much to my surprise, they all collectively had a "duh" response, and told me I should "totally" go to Africa! I looked at my wife, and her only response was to ask if she could go too!
So, since this summer, I have been working on research, budgeting, and gear for Africa. I immediately joined DSC as a Life Member and added my wife as well. Unfortunately, Covid has not allowed me to do much there with the convention now canceled. Without the networking of DSC, I have been reviewing this site weekly to learn as much as possible.
I am excited to be a part of the site and will do a LOT of reading with little to no posting as I soak up the information others are sharing.

Hello NDWoods,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

Giday NDWoods and welcome to the A H forums

Welcome to AH. LOT of knowledge and information here.
Krish

Hello all!

One fine day this last summer I was sitting at the dinner table with my wife and amazing teenage kids. The topic of hunting came up and one of my daughters asked me what my "dream hunt" would be. As a responsible husband and father of 4, I never dared allowed myself to even of think of a "dream hunt." They each started to press the matter and I confessed that my dream hunt is Africa.
Much to my surprise, they all collectively had a "duh" response, and told me I should "totally" go to Africa! I looked at my wife, and her only response was to ask if she could go too!
So, since this summer, I have been working on research, budgeting, and gear for Africa. I immediately joined DSC as a Life Member and added my wife as well. Unfortunately, Covid has not allowed me to do much there with the convention now canceled. Without the networking of DSC, I have been reviewing this site weekly to learn as much as possible.
I am excited to be a part of the site and will do a LOT of reading with little to no posting as I soak up the information others are sharing.

Welcome to AH, @NDWoods. There are no greater collective data base of information as right here on this forum. Many of the members here are happy to share their expertise. Don't hesitate to ask, and if you need any help, please don't hesitate to drop me either a Personal Message on the forum or a direct email as found in my signature below.
Just know that hunting Africa "once" will go out the window before even returning home. All the best with your research.

Take Care,
Marius Goosen

Welcome

Hello and welcome aboard!

Welcome aboard NDWoods. What have you hunted in the past? Do any other members of your family hunt with you? From previous posts there are lots of Texas women that know how to use a rifle and enjoy doing so. New and or "new to you" rifles and trips to ranges are often posted on AH, so don't be a stranger when it comes to posting.

Welcome to AH!

Welcome! This is truly the best in online community I've ever seen, no drama, no rudeness, and luckily it's on a subject very broad with a lot to talk about and one that requires a lot of research.

I hope you'll find, like I did, that even with a very reputable outfitter, Africa is more attainable cost wise than you would think. this is the place to learn all the ins and outs of planning to make it as enjoyable as possible with few surprises as well as some of the costs you dont think about at first (shipping, dip and pack, customer clearing) so you can budget accurately and no surprises there either

Enjoy!

Welcome to AH NDWoods! Glad to have you join us.

NDWoods, welcome to the AH forum! Wonderful to hear of such family encouragement! Enjoy your reading of all the info on here. It will definitely get you excited about going!

Many years ago, maybe many, many, many, I spent time in Arlington with my sis and her husband racing international monohull sailing at Lake Arlington. Not so many people then.

Hello all!

Is this just a Hunting trip or will site seeing be involved too? Makes a big difference money wise.

I appreciate the warm welcome!

Yes, I do hunt quite a bit and my three youngest kids hunt as well. In terms of numbers on big game, I shoot more pigs than anything. My Dad's property is a mess if I do not shoot at least 40-50 pigs a year. I stand hunt, stalk, and hunt with Night vision and thermal as needed. I hunt whitetail for the meat not as trophies. The passion in my hunting is bird hunting. I especially love duck hunting. I think that may be the case with any of us who have a great Lab that we trained ourselves. I also like to stretch the legs on my rifles so prairie dog shooting is a top favorite as well.
Outside of Texas I have not done much except for Hawaii. My wife is Hawaiian and has a big family on the big island. I have hunted there a few times for Spanish Goat and pig. I will go again early 2021.
This year has been pretty active. I took my youngest and she shot an Axis buck in August. I got a nice Nilgai in September, and a great Pronghorn in October. Two whitetail and a few "sausage sows" later and the big freezer is full!
I LOVE to hunt!

I was in the investments industry for two decades and decided to pursue my passions for my remaining working years. With passions of Leadership and Firearms, I now lead a gun store and indoor shooting range. A big bonus is that it is a 4 minute drive from my front door rather than the 2.5 hours a day I drove for 20 years.

Life is good!

Africa:
We do not plan to do any separate site seeing. I am on a mission! And to another point above, I absolutely do not believe this will be only one trip. I want Cape Buffalo for the first trip and would like to go at least one more time for plains game. I do not want to create too long of a list for the first trip that could add undue stress for checking off a lot of game.

THANK YOU all for the warm welcome!

As it's Buffalo, I am going to recommend you to head to Zimbabwe. The Save or Bubye. Those are mid-range priced areas. And should you happen to run across the "big one", it will qualify for inclusion into Rowland Ward. Whereas, if you hunt in RSA, only Buffalo from certain areas in RSA will qualify.

Welcome to AH sir.

Welcome to AH!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrittGibb4

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross