Herdsmen arrested for poisoning lions in Kenya's Maasai Mara Dead lions include 17-year-old Bibi,

That would be the recipe and result Mike.

Can you imagine standing on the edge of the park with your cattle and watching all that grass not being used.

I saw a post on FB by Martin Pieters about having a Safari Buffer Zone around the parks and that would stop the conflict because anti poaching would be present.
Interesting suggestion.

thats how its supposed to work in zambia with gma`s surrounding the nat parks, then the farming/etc around them, with the photographic being done in the parks, with the gma`s for consumptive type uses ie hunting , honey collecting etc....... nothing was supposed to be in the nat parks but they are allowing lodges to be built in them now. so its all getting a bit blurred now......

Herdsmen arrested for poisoning lions in Kenya's Maasai Mara
Dead lions include 17-year-old Bibi, who appeared on the BBC’s long-running Big Cat Diary series

A Maasai herdsman with his cattle near Makindu, Kenya. Photograph: Radu Sigheti/Reuters
Agencies in Nairobi

Tuesday 8 December 2015 09.53 EST Last modified on Tuesday 8 December 2015 11.12 EST

Two Maasai herdsmen have been arrested for allegedly poisoning lions in the Masaai Mara game reserve after the lions killed two of their cows, according to a Narok county wildlife official.

The lions are members of the Marsh pride, which has featured on the BBC’s long-running Big Cat Diary series. Two of the lions are dead, one is missing and at least five are being treated by vets, a conservation group and a BBC wildlife crew at the scene said.

Masai-Mara-008.jpg

The Masai Mara: 'It will not be long before it's gone'
Read more
Moses Kuyioni, a local wildlife official, said the men are suspected of poisoning meat which they set up for the lions to eat. He said the lions had attacked the herdsmen’s cattle when they entered the game reserve in western Kenya on Sunday. Local cattle-herders frequently bring their animals into the Masai Mara reserve to graze.

“I am sick to the heart to hear of the poisoning of the Marsh Pride lions, and horrified to think of the pain they suffered as they died,” said Saba Douglas-Hamilton, a Kenyan conservationist and television presenter who worked on Big Cat Diary.

Among the dead lions was 17-year old female Bibi, who had become something of a celebrity during the TV series’ long and hugely popular run from 1996 to 2008. The BBC crew said she was found “lying on her side, foaming at the mouth, fitting and panting” before she died.

Conservationists first noticed something was wrong on Sunday morning when some of the lions, “were acting strangely collapsing and suffering from spasms”, according to a statement from the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust, which funds a mobile veterinary unit in the reserve.

“There is nothing shocking anymore as to what is happening in the Maasai Mara,” he added, blaming years of “appalling management” by local authorities.

Kuyioni said that because of land division and urbanisation the Maasai herdsmen had little option but to explore the game reserve for food as their traditional grazing lands have been subdivided to individuals. Human-wildlife conflict is seen as a big threat to the existence of lions in Kenya.

Kenya human population today 45M. Estimated Kenya human population in the year 2100, 160M.

Kenya wildlife population down 70% since licensed hunting was banned in 1978.

Will things improve?

th

Attachments

• th.jpeg
    th.jpeg
    14.8 KB · Views: 114
Last edited by a moderator:
saw a post on FB by Martin Pieters about having a Safari Buffer Zone around the parks and that would stop the conflict because anti poaching would be present.
Interesting suggestion.
This is in fact the strategy in Zimbabwe and it's generally very successful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SheliaBelc

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross