Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
AfricaHunting.com
Hunted
Tanzania, Nepal, Canada,
Henry Kelsey (1667-1724), Hunter & Explorer

Henry Kelsey aka the Boy Kelsey, was an English fur trader, explorer, and sailor who played an important role in establishing the Hudson's Bay Company. He is the 'Brave Kelso' that Stan Rogers refers to in his song Northwest Passage. Kelsey was born and married in East Greenwich, south-east of central London.

henry2.jpg
henry1.jpg

Kelsey started working before he was 20 for the Hudson's Bay Company (HBC). He moved to North America, where he worked with western Native peoples.

During the years 1690 to 1691, Kelsey travelled with the Cree Nation and explored what is now northern Manitoba from Hudson Bay to theSaskatchewan River. He is traditionally believed to be the first recorded European man to see what are now the provinces of Alberta andSaskatchewan.

He is the first European known to have seen the prairies, the great buffalo herds, grizzly bears, and the many Great Plains First Nationstribes. After years in Canada, Kelsey returned at age 55 to England in 1722. He died two years later, and was buried in St Alfege's Church, Greenwich. There is a commemorative plaque to his name.

henry.gif
Henry_Kelsey.jpg

Monish

Last edited by a moderator:
The official record book for the biggest of the big game hunted in Saskatchewan is named after Henry Kelsey. Seems a fitting tribute to a great man. He was not always respected by his peers, because he insisted on "going native" and not always doing things in the British way. He was wise in ways that his peers didn't always understand, a truly versatile and adventurous hunter and explorer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross