Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA,Canada,South Africa, Namibia
I’m trying to get my taxidermy home (Anchorage, Alaska) from South Africa. The shipper will only give me a price to Chicago. He says Delta refuses to fly my Buffalo and that the only carrier is Qatar air. Can anybody help me sort this out? I’m not sure who to believe or how to proceed.
Thank you,
Gary

I'd start with getting in touch with Trophy Shippers on the forum here.

He is right on the buffalo not being able to fly on Delta

From Africa, it’s gets shipped to a port of entry in the United States. At port of entry your trophies clear then get forwarded on to your final destination as a separate shipping bill. Who are you using for a customs broker once it arrives in USA?

Hi @Alaska Hunter.... I hunted RSA in May of this past year. I live in Dillingham. I will get a portion of my trophies this week. Let me tell you how mine has unfolded. This WAS my first rodeo, so there are probably better/cheaper/more efficient ways.

I had ten trophies. I opted to only dip and pack over there. I have a buddy in Wasilla who is a taxidermist who will do a portion of my work. The goal was to get it to him.

The taxidermist who did the dipping and packing handed off to a shipper over there, who got it stateside. I do not remember their company name but the cost was $1800. They got it from RSA to San Francisco via Turkish Airways. They were very responsive to emails. Tom Kelly had good words about them and said he deals with them often. Without knowing if the price was fair I have no complaints about the service.

In SF I was advised one of my trophies was found to have organic matter on it by the USDA. I was told my shipment needed to be sent to an approved facility to deal with it. At this time Tom Kelly's company Trophy Shoppers took over. I would invite Tom to jump in if I muck up the description of events to any degree. In the end Tom got my stuff sent to the Wildlife Gallery, as that's who my taxidermist uses for tanning. I would add Tom is terrific at communications too, and answered all my questions promptly. I believe it was another $700 from SF to the Wildlife Gallery.

The Wildlife Gallery pulled the hides and capes for tanning. They sent the skulls and horns to my guy in Wasilla last week; he received them Friday. He will keep the two I am having shoulder mounts done with and he's going to send the rest to me. I am doing a large scale Euro display myself (I used to have a small taxidermy business). I should have them by the end of the week. Jesse says he will have the hides and capes within a month. I anticipate having everything back by summer.

To me the whole process felt a little convoluted. But this is my first time and I live off the beaten path in Alaska. The two shipping companies communicated very well. I have no idea if the cost of shipping is good, bad, or otherwise, and it's not quite over yet. I do believe, having conversed with several experienced African hunters, that I am getting things in decent time. Less than 8 months later and I am going to get to hold most of my horns again; I am beyond excited.

Sorry for the length of this. Hopefully it helps some. Despite my pre-trip planning there were two things I was still uncertain about when I went over: tipping and shipping. I feel like I managed to navigate both without major pitfalls. If others would care to share how I can improve, I'm all ears. I hope to make it back soon. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Also, I just realized you mentioned buffalo. There is a buffalo in my shipment.

As stated earlier. Contact Tom at Trophy Shippers. Tom is handling my last trip. All I have had to do is contact him. Freight contacted me and I forwarded there email to Tom and he has handled the rest. I have not had to do a thing except make a payment to Trophy Shippers. They have handled all payments and logistics.
I also have Buffalo in shipment.

Only because I typed what I did earlier today.... My taxidermist sent this to me minutes ago... My excitement continues to build.

received_1857518397767686.jpeg

I’m trying to get my taxidermy home (Anchorage, Alaska) from South Africa. The shipper will only give me a price to Chicago. He says Delta refuses to fly my Buffalo and that the only carrier is Qatar air. Can anybody help me sort this out? I’m not sure who to believe or how to proceed.
Thank you,
Gary
Hi Gary!

He is correct. The shipper will most likely book this shipment on Turkish Air or Qatar airways. I will send you a message to get some details on the shipment and put a plan together for you!

I too live in Anchorage. In 2020 when Delta wasn't flying from RSA I had a shipment go on Turkish to Chicago, then someone else to Seattle, and then on a barge up here. Arrived fine. Not sure they can do that at this time of year, but I may be finding that out soon with my buffalo, which is in Joburg at my shipper too. Fun fun.

@Alaska Hunter, you might want to give either Trophy Shipper or Coppersmith Global Logistics a call. I opted for Coppersmith since they have an office in Seattle. Since my plan is to have my crates flown to SeaTac as port of entry in the US, I figured having a local office in Seattle would be helpful.

Lifeform taxidermy has completed all my friends’ and my shoulder mounts and rugs in mid December. Our crates are with shipping company, Safari Cargo Systems (SCS). SCS could have shipped them out to us then but they recommended that we wait until mid to late January. With the holidays and Omicron related lock downs, airfreight was extremely high in December. We took their recommendation.

Once the crates are shipped and cleared in Seattle, they will be barged up to Anchorage. @Alaska Hunter, feel free to PM me if you need more info.

Regards,

My recent two buffs were shipped out of Zim on Qatar. My whole shipment is sitting in Houston waiting on USFW. It's been 5 weeks now :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross