Help researching outfitters?

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by wildfowler.250, Jul 11, 2019.

1. wildfowler.250

wildfowler.250 AH Member

Is there an easy way to search and narrow down outfitters?

For example I searched one fairly common outfitter on here and only got 10 results. And several of these were replying to the same thread. Yet in that thread there was several people who commented saying they had done reports on the outfitter.

Struggling to find the right info. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. AfricaHunting.com

AfricaHunting.com AH ENABLER FOUNDER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    While searching the option "Search this forum only" will always be selected so if you are during your search in a specific section of the forum it will only search that forum so to broaden your search and search the entire website I would suggest unselecting the option "Search this forum only".

Make sure to look at the selected and unselected options during your search to refine or broaden your search

On the Search... drop down the button "More..." (https://www.africahunting.com/search/) will take you to a Search page which will provide you with more refine and specific search option.

Also not sure what keyword(s) would searched under but reducing the amount of keyword(s) may help expend your search.

wildfowler.250 likes this.

3. wildfowler.250

wildfowler.250 AH Member

Thank you sir!

4. JimP

JimP AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, RMEF
    Hunted:
    US (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada. Canada (British Colombia), South Africa (Eastern Cape)
    Searching outfitters here on the forum is tough. Sometimes just using a Google search will turn up a lot more info on a particular outfitter. Then you can come onto the forum here and ask if anyone here has used them.

I booked my hunt before I found this forum and when I did a search nothing came up for who I used. However after my safari I have received numerious questions about this outfitter and the hunt, but still the only post that his name is mentioned is a couple of mine.

He is a outstanding outfitter and I would highly recommend him. The accommodations were above par and the PH's that he had were some of the best, in my opinion. Just as a FYI he hunts in the Eastern Cape just north of Port Elizabeth.

wildfowler.250 likes this.

5. wildfowler.250

wildfowler.250 AH Member

Thank you!

Biggest problem is say, let’s picks a site sponsor like KMG. You’ll get 18 pages of answers but page 1 is entirely the initial thread and subsequent replies to the same thread. Just means you’re sifting through a lot of the same material. Will do a bit of googling as well!

6. KMG Hunting Safaris

KMG Hunting Safaris AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2013 AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC Life Member ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, New Zealand
  7. JimP

JimP AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, RMEF
    Hunted:
    US (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada. Canada (British Colombia), South Africa (Eastern Cape)
    I would say that most if not all the outfitters on the site here will be top notched ones, either that or you would see them getting raked over the coals.

What I would do if I found one that I was interested in is to read about them and then send another member a message on the forum here. Most of us would be more than happy to tell you about the actual experience good and bad if we know that you are interested.

If you would like to know about the outfitter that I went with just send me a message and I would be more than happy to tell you about them.

8. gizmo

gizmo AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2015 AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
    Hunted:
    Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
    If your looking at KMG @johnnyblues has hunted with Marius. I have never hunted with Marius but have worked with him on the taxidermy side. From my experience he is a first class guy and is wonderful to work with. I have also visited with him several times in person here in the states and I really like him. He’s a great guy and I’ve always heard wonderful things about hunting him.

9. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
    First off, everyone gets a little spoiled with Google searches and the power those searches entail.

Start with getting the search down a little closer to your actual target. Treat it like you are going hunting. Where does the critter actually live?
    Looking for Roe Buck in Greenwich Screen Shot 2019-07-12 at 09.12.58.png
    or an Estate in Suffolk.
    Screen Shot 2019-07-12 at 09.13.56.png

Start in HUNTING REPORTS AFRICA
    https://www.africahunting.com/community/hunting-reports/

The search function has a box to limit searches to the forum you select.

Screen Shot 2019-07-12 at 09.16.19.png

The next trick to getting the animal you want is to be specific.
    If you are trophy hunting why are you looking for does?

"kmg hunting safaris" in Keywords is not the same as kmg hunting safaris.
    Also select the forum you want HUNTING REPORTS AFRICA
    Learn the equipment. Computers will look for the detail you specify.
    Quotation marks specifies the EXACT trophy you are after. No looking at junk.

Screen Shot 2019-07-12 at 09.18.46.png

Then the final little box to tick is right at the bottom: DISPLAY RESULTS AS THREADS.
    It's right at the bottom.
    This search lead to 80 specific results here on AH.

Go step further and restrict the search to TITLES ONLY.
    This lead to 41 specific results.

The search function is not Google. Don't expect a Rigby Stalker when you are walking around with a Remington. :)

Play around and have fun hunting.

Google has spoiled you all in to PUT AND TAKE web searches. Change your focus and try some free range searches.

Mort Hill likes this.