Help me travel to Africa - Advice and Rules please

@rookhawk,

I would recommend talking to Lori, @safari gal, at Travel Express. I'm quite certain she has routed hunters through NYC on SAA. I would have to think a few overnighted there.

Another alternative to getting to Jo'burg early is to fly British Airways through London. I looked on Orbitz and you can get a BA flight from O'Hare into London and then on to Jo'burg with a 7:10 am arrival. And those flight costs in June at least are quite good. The important part of this is that you fly BA only and you only go into/out of Heathrow. London is not exactly gun friendly either, but doing it this way is supposed to be fairly easy. I will be doing this in a couple months, only leaving out of Phoenix.

Any special requirements once you land in London?

You've got some pretty sound advice here. The only thing I would add is South Africa airlines has a direc flight from Washington to Jo-burg. That's what I booked and it was much cheaper than delta. I also was able to book a business executive class tickets, which from my understanding, is like first class cheaper than the economy seats on Delta.

..................The important part of this is that you fly BA only and you only go into/out of Heathrow. London is not exactly gun friendly either, but doing it this way is supposed to be fairly easy. ..........

I am going through London in July. There are ZERO problems with guns at Heathrow.
I just have to let BA know the details on my firearms and ammo beforehand. Min one week before.
I'll never tough my firearms and will be out touring on the long layovers. Get my feet in UK soil.

Last edited:
Good to know. I see once I move to Georgia flights going thru Europe are much better priced, as of right now.

Any special requirements once you land in London?

Can't be certain of this, but I do believe you may be called to confirm the rifles are yours by the BA folks in London. My plan is to go to the BA desk, inform them where I just came from, where I'm going and let them know I have firearms in transit with them and simply ask is there anything they need me to do?

I am going through London in July. There are ZERO problems with guns at Heathrow.
I just have to let BA know the details on my firearms and ammo beforehand. Min one week before.
I'll never tough my firearms and will be out touring on the long layovers. Get my feet in UK soil.

How will you be able to get a muntjac or a roe if your rifles are checked through?:(

If you check your rifles through to Joburg you don't need to do anything in London. Just left the airline know you are travelling with firearms. I leave in a month and this will be my second time through London.

How will you be able to get a muntjac or a roe if your rifles are checked through?:(

Pretty obvious that Brickburn hadn't thought that one all the way through.... no one's perfect!!! ;)

I spent 1 night in NYC several years ago (laws may have changed) when going to SA. Got in late at night, went to the local Holiday Inn (a dump back then) and in the morning we went to JFK by cab. Went to the front door of the terminal and walked in dragging my gun case,etc. The xray machine was right by the door and SAA was right across the hallway 30 feet). I asked if they wanted my gun case on the xray belt and I saw eyes go wide open. A phone call was made and in 30 seconds 6 cops showed up next to me. Now this was getting interesting.
The top cop (Sargent) looked at me and his first question was- "How long have you been in NYC?"
I said I arrived 15 hrs ago. He then called over to SAA to get one of them to drag my rifle case to the gate. They wouldn't let me do it, even only 30 feet!
The reason why he asked me how long I had been there is at that time (maybe changed now) there was a 24 hr limit to transit NYC with unregistered guns. I had read the law and was prepared. I took the wind out of his sails I think. Any longer and I would go up the river.
Things may have changed now.

I spent 1 night in NYC several years ago (laws may have changed) when going to SA. Got in late at night, went to the local Holiday Inn (a dump back then) and in the morning we went to JFK by cab. Went to the front door of the terminal and walked in dragging my gun case,etc. The xray machine was right by the door and SAA was right across the hallway 30 feet). I asked if they wanted my gun case on the xray belt and I saw eyes go wide open. A phone call was made and in 30 seconds 6 cops showed up next to me. Now this was getting interesting.
The top cop (Sargent) looked at me and his first question was- "How long have you been in NYC?"
I said I arrived 15 hrs ago. He then called over to SAA to get one of them to drag my rifle case to the gate. They wouldn't let me do it, even only 30 feet!
The reason why he asked me how long I had been there is at that time (maybe changed now) there was a 24 hr limit to transit NYC with unregistered guns. I had read the law and was prepared. I took the wind out of his sails I think. Any longer and I would go up the river.
Things may have changed now.

Good story.

Especially good to see you post buddy!(y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg