www.tokoloshesafaris.info
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Member of
Life Member Safari International, Life Members Dallas Safari Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, South Africa, Tanzania
Hopefully one of you can satisfy my curiosity?

I just finished doing repairs on a Zimbabwe National Parks Rifle. The rifle has Browning Morgan Utah, Belgium stamped on it Caliber .375 H&H The action looks like a Mauser 98, but in Push Feed? The bolt release was very cheaply made just a piece of spring steel with a serrated tab on the end for thumb release. Sights consist on a rear small island base with one standing and one folding. Front sight consisted of a soldiered ramp (not in proper alignment with rear sight) and a missing blade. The rifle stock is considerably worn, but fully functional with no cracks or splits. No cross bolts. Stock was glass bedded just in front of magazine well for about 75m.m., factory? I would guess that the rifle was produced before 1970, but just a guess.

Could I be correct that this was a 98 Mauser action, converted to push feed with the change of a bolt, safety (slide 2 position) and bolt release? I finished rust removal, cleaning, sight replace and cold blueing. I would just like to know what I worked on. If this 50+ year old workhorse could only talk!

Thank you, Lon

Do you think it was a Sako Action ?

But with the bolt release sounds more like the old Husky but I think it was still control feed ?

Did you take any pics of it ?

Ok it is a Browning L70 action from the 70's I have some pics of one .
Browning-FNBoltFaces.jpg

Browning-FNBolts-Extractors.jpg

Browning L70 action RS.jpg

Browning L70 action LS.jpg

Last edited:
I am not very good at moving stuff from the phone camera to posting here, but I will try. I did take one good picture of the bolt. Let me clarify on the bolt. Small hook extractor with a plunger ejector. The action looks like it is a commercial Mauser. If I was to guess at the year of mfg. I would say about 1965 to 1970. The stock may be a salt cured stock.

If we need to take more pictures I can probably get the rifle back, the rear sight could stand a little adjustment, then again it has been like that for about 50+ years. It has probably taken more African dangerous game than most hunters will ever see.

Thank You, Lon

@Tokoloshe Safaris is it not the one I posted pics of above bud ?

Ok, I thought you might have missed it some how, I'm glade you posted as I would have never believe it was even made & I almost bought one a few years ago as cheap, I noticed the strange bolt release but didn't really catch the missing claw extractor !

Only had seen the Sako actioned Brownings before, hard case as Sako used some Browning/FN Mauser actions at the start of there production .

Last edited:
Yep, all good got ya this time !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg