Help me justify another rifle! .338 Lapua

drandolph4570

Reaction score
Going to Africa for plains game in 2023, not sure I'll return but have been looking for an excuse to buy a 338 Lapua since it can also be used in Noth America and its a cool rifle. Looking at the Christenson Arms since it is lightweight and not too tactical looking. Looking to put a 3x9x40 zeiss on it for the trip but I'll upgrade to something after for longer ranges since I don't plan on 800+ yard shots in Africa. I'm a reloader so I can doctor just about any round for what I'm doing within reason. Any feedback would be appreciated

300 gr bullet at 2650-2750 fps will work great

Going to Africa for plains game in 2023, not sure I'll return but have been looking for an excuse to buy a 338 Lapua since it can also be used in Noth America and its a cool rifle. Looking at the Christenson Arms since it is lightweight and not too tactical looking. Looking to put a 3x9x40 zeiss on it for the trip but I'll upgrade to something after for longer ranges since I don't plan on 800+ yard shots in Africa. I'm a reloader so I can doctor just about any round for what I'm doing within reason. Any feedback would be appreciated

I can't recommend anything in 338 lapua for a safari rifle, but I like to hunt close and hunt with safari operators that are about hunting close.

The good news is that regardless of that, I do recommend more rifles. Many more rifles. As many as you can get without getting divorced. Get to work on that.

Hello drandolph4570,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

My below rant applies to so called “plains game”.

Your idea of using the .338 Lapua in Africa can certainly put animals in the salt.
However, it’s comparable to driving a 200 mph rail dragster back and forth to church.
Many of the 250 grain and heavier bullets manufactured in .338 diameter are fantastic performers on most of the world’s game animals.
Although, some brands might be too soft for the excessive velocity of the Lapua cartridge and similar ultra-long range type .33 caliber cartridges.

Even the ever popular .300 Winchester is quite a bit faster than needed for the majority of African hunting conditions.
Shooting smaller game such as impala, warthog, blesbok, etc., at the most common African shooting distances, often results in ruined skins, and splattered edible / valuable meat.

As .33 caliber rifles go, for hunting in Africa, the .338-06 / 250 grain round nose soft @ 2400 fps is very close to perfect.
Another fantastic, very close to perfect for Africa .33 caliber is the .338 Winchester Magnum, especially if on a rare occasion you might have to shoot across a canyon or a lake, out to around 400 paces or so.
Most game shooting in most of Africa however, is under about 200 paces.
And more shots than seems likely to us high velocity Americanos, takes place under 100 paces.

Therefore as mentioned, the .338-06 with 250 gr blunt shaped soft nose bullets is a real peach.
The fly in our beer is that live factory ammunition for this splendid cartridge is very difficult to find lately.
Never was widely available.
All that I’ve mentioned about the .338-06 applies exactly the same for the .35 Whelen.
The 9.3x62 is also similar except that ammunition for it is a little more common.
Plus, the 9.3 will handle quite heavy bullets and therefore is lawful in some countries for Buffalo (and possibly other species of dangerous game as well ?)

All that having been said, you cannot go wrong, hunting non-dangerous game in Africa, with a boring old .30-06, loaded with 180 grain to 220 grain bullets.
Anyway, blah blah blah, LoL.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

When I think of using a 338 Lupua, it’s for shooting paper at long range or shooting Charlie at long range. Never considered using one hunting game animals.

338-06, 333 jefferey, 318 westley richards, 300 holland, 300 win mag, 300 weatherby, 7x57, 7x64, 7mm rem mag, 8x57, 280 rem, 280 AI, all are wonderful tools of the trade.

Murphy's law dictates the more money you spend on long-range optics and the more money and time you spend on long range accuracy, the more likely you'll take all your animals at 15 paces.

On 8 safaris the longest shot ever taken was 345 yards in a desperation play where we could not get closer. (got it with a 375HH) Other than that one shot, the longest shot was 231 yards. Most shots are under 100 yards for plains game with very few over 150 yards.

300 gr. .338 at 2600 maybe too much for some, but can and will get the job done in most cases. Load up or down as needed. Buy it, shoot it, decide if you REALLY want to haul it to Africa, then buy another and repeat the sickness.

I took a .338 RUM (similar velocities) to Namibia in ‘18. I wanted to use 250 gr Swift’s but I couldn’t get them to shoot well, so I went with 225 gr Swift’s. They performed well on everything up to eland.
My rifle was topped by that same scope.

For me, the issue with the 338 Lapua has more to do with the rifles it is chambered in than the caliber.

A 340 Weatherby (or the 338-378 :eek:) is nearly the same ballistically, but it’s found in a traditional hunting rifle ( Mark V, and some other CRF custom jobs). As such, you’ll find more hunters using it in Africa (while others complain about the stock shape:LOL:) than a Lapua.

The Lapua is typically found in 12 lb, bipod shooters with muzzle brakes that are shot from prone, or some low shooting position. However, African game shooting is mostly done from sticks in a standing position or offhand. That’s not conducive to the ergonomics of a rifle built for prone.

If you wanna get a Lapua, get one, and use it for elk. Get a different 338 in a more traditional hunting chassis to make it easier for using in Africa.

My $0.02

Welcome to AH! Buy the rifle!
+1. Welcome to AH! But, your on the wrong forum asking these guys (enablers) to help you justify buying another rifle of any caliber or any firearm for that matter. So, keeping with that theme, buy it now!

You have my blessing on the purchase of of the 338 lapua. Only current issue is the 1lb of powder (exaggerated) per box of ammunition. I baby sat one for a summer then settled on a .260 to fill my long distance issues. Go for it I say

While I do think that there are a lot of admirable qualities to the 338 Lapua, I think there are just better options for hunting cartridges that will come close to or match its capabilities. While you could go with a 338-378 Wby or 338 Edge, I would encourage you to take a look at the 340 Wby, or my new favorite wildcat, the 375 Ruger necked down to .338, which gets identical performance to the 340 Wby in a standard length action. Load any of the above up with Barnes 250 gr LRX and you are good to go for any plains game at any range.

So you’re only going to Africa once?

Image 2021-09-02 17-04-43.png

I’m all for buying another rifle but I didn’t have much luck with the two Christensen Ridgelines I bought. One in 6.5x284 and the other a 300 Win. Couldn’t get either to group well with factory or handloads - lots of different loads and weights….I ended up sending the 300 back to Christensen and they said yes it was a bad barrel, rebarreled and sent back to me. Tried again but could only get MOA out of each. For $1800 a piece I expect more - I have $500 beaters that shoot 1/4 MOA.
If you are looking for a long range boomer without the tactical look I’d lean towards the previously recommended 340 WBY. A couple options available in the Mark V.

I'll encourage you to buy it as I too have wanted one for quite a while, but not for Africa. I think you would be happier in the long run with a more traditional caliber and rifle.

But I'm taking a 458 wm, as well as a 30-06, for plains game next week, so what do I know?

Rather like using a 7 STW for eastern whitetail. It will work - but damn .....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.