Help identifying this 416 R

Wclint

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Trying to get some information on this Rifle. I cannot find much info on the internet.
If anyone could share some knowledge it would be greatly appreciated.
I only have these few pictures.
Thank you,
Wclint

IMG_2538.JPG
IMG_2539.JPG
IMG_2540.JPG
IMG_2541.JPG
IMG_2543.JPG
IMG_2549.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
No idea who made it though it carries Belgian Nitro Proofs. So I would assume it was built there. The barrel indicates Belgian origin as well. The script writing says that it was made for the gentleman named (maybe Windlohr?) in Stanleyville - one would assume the former Belgian Congo (modern day Kisangani in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.) He is likely worth researching - my guess you'll find he was in the colonial government or perhaps a military officer. In any case, such a rifle would be a logical thing for a colonial or serving officer there to order from home - the same way East African colonials were ordering their rifles from London and Birmingham. From what little I can see in the pictures, I would guess it was restocked and reblued at some point - certainly the stock was aggressively refinished. No gun maker prior to WWII would have let a rifle leave his shop with that sort of fit around the bolt release, and that clearly is hot blue - originally it would have been rust blue.. I am guessing a commercial action but clearly not a square bridge. It's value would be as a hunting rifle rather than a collector unless you find that Windlohr was the Harry Selby of West Africa. (n) Finally it might very well indeed be a .416 Rigby. You would want a chamber cast to be sure. I can not read the "B. BL___EE clearly which might give you a lead on the actual maker.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
profibrahim

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you