Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NRA, DSC, SCI, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
Hunted
Namibia-Khomas Highlands, Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
Hello, I was going to see if I can get a nudge in the right direction from our Norwegian friends. My family settled Texas in the mid 1840’s from Norway. I still have some family there but do not know them. I’ve always wanted to visit my ancestral homeland but from what I’ve read Norway still has a very strong hunting culture. I would like to start planning a trip to hunt Norway at some point and information on the internet I’ve found so far is of little help. Does anyone know any outfitter’s that cater to a single client. Type of hunt isn’t as important as just getting to come and hunt but my three biggest interests are moose, reindeer, or elk. I wouldn’t be opposed to hunting Roe again if that is an option. I’ve seen a few things on group hunts but that really doesn’t interest me as much. If I am going to do it I would like a good chance at success in a more structured hunt style.
Any help is appreciated. Tusen Takk

Never realized that Gizmo was Norwegian.:unsure:

Hope you find something out and have a great trip.(y)

Never realized that Gizmo was Norwegian.:unsure:

Hope you find something out and have a great trip.(y)
I know, I’m a midget Norseman. My Dad’s side of the family is Norwegian (hence Grimland). It’s the damned British blood on my mom’s side that stunted my growth. My Grandfather was 6’2 and was picked on by his siblings for being the runt.

Respect, Brother! My ancestors are Norwegian as well. Settled in Minnesota, of all places

Going to Norway, is one of many things on the bucket list. Don't know if I will ever get there or not, but a hunt there sounds like a hoot!

Respect, Brother! My ancestors are Norwegian as well. Settled in Minnesota, of all places

Going to Norway, is one of many things on the bucket list. Don't know if I will ever get there or not, but a hunt there sounds like a hoot!
That’s awesome. There is actually a large Norwegian ancestry population in Minnesota. It’s always saddened me that my grandfather‘s was the first generation in the family to not be bi-lingual. His parents spoke mainly English at home and didn’t teach Norwegian to The kids. I’ve often wanted to learn but every time I’ve tried it has proven to be difficult as self teaching books has always been my only option.
Do you know when your family came to North America and from what part of Norway they are from.
Mine came from just outside Oslo a bit. The Grimland farm is still there and I have relatives still living on it. That’s where my last name actually came from was the name of the farm the family owned. I have some cousins that went and visited the relatives there many years ago. My dad went to Norway about 15 years ago on a cruise. I’ve always wanted to go and my ancestry is very important to me. Combining that with hunting would certainly be a dream. To get to hunt the same (ish) land my ancestors hunted would truly be something.

Just be aware Norway is beautiful but its one of the most expensive countries I have ever visited! 20 USD for a beer 50 USD for a small pizza in Stavanger.

Cheers
Pat

Just be aware Norway is beautiful but its one of the most expensive countries I have ever visited! 20 USD for a beer 50 USD for a small pizza in Stavanger.

Cheers
Pat
Thank you. I imagine it’s going to be something I have to save for a bit for.

Scandinavianprohunters came up in a search for me. About 13k for a reindeer hunt.
Not sure if it's one you looked at.
I'd like to do something similar in Finland someday

Scandinavianprohunters came up in a search for me. About 13k for a reindeer hunt.
Not sure if it's one you looked at.
I'd like to do something similar in Finland someday
I did see that one. I think there are others with better pricing, I saw one that had a moose in Sweden for like 8500. I don’t want to hunt Sweden but that leads me to believe there are better options out there but I certainly could be wrong.

I highly suggest you make the trip, hunt or not. One of my most enjoyable trips was visiting The Republic of Czechoslovakia with my parents, especially seeing my dad making the trip. We went with a group tour thus had no time to sneak in a fallow or mouflon hunt but one day. Prague is a city I throughly enjoyed and would go back in a heart beat.

My in-laws are of norske heritage. We spent a number of weeks there in the summer of 2017. I checked out a few hunting stores while in different cities. I would suggest finding the gun shops on line and then emailing them for a referral.
And yes, it is expensive to travel there. Grocery stores are reasonably priced.

There are very few "outfitters" here in Norway. Hunting is mostly on private land and organized by the owner and friends/family/paying hunters.
Cost is from free to expensive. And yes, Norway is expensive.

Some links,

Red deer hunting on the west coast, https://hjortejakt.info/
Moose hunting; http://gransjoberget.no/elgjakt/ (pretty sure they can take you hunting capricaile also)
Roedeer, https://yul.no/

And do not waste time visiting a Norwegian "gunstore", it is just a dusty corner of s sporting goods store with a few guns.. Only thing that impresses Americans coming over is you just go in, buy as many silencer you want. That's it, no paper work

Thank you!!!!! I’ll take a look. That’s a start!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomasS111

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!