Nembwe

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Botswana, South Africa, USA, New Zealand, Australia
Good day all Double Rifle shooters, I have recently acquired a great K-9.3x74R in excellent condition and was able to get to the range for the first time, it was told to me that the rifle was regulated with 286gr, I wasn't able to get 286gr but was able to get the next best 285gr.

I started out at 50met and didn't have to many options the first two rounds as in picture were pretty much ok with the R1 and L1 firing well (but crossed over)
R2 and L2 were also spot on as pictured.

I proceeded to adjust /regulate the rifle as per Krieghoffs directions with the regulator with one full turn (clockwise) the fired another two rounds and R3 and L3 seemed to move further apart and crossed over even more.
My questions are:
  • Does anyone know how much 1 turn of the hex screw changes the regulations eg: 1 full turn = 1" at 100met etc? I cant find any thing on this setting unlike most scopes 1click=1/4" - 100.
  • The manual says "clockwise" brings the barrels closer and until clockwise takes them further. My workings def took them further apart.
  • Why are they crossing at 50Met? def right barrel left and left barrel right!!
  • I was shooting off a support similar to sticks with loose hands ( but still seated with the butt in my shoulder- no vice or rifle clamp etc etc.
  • Can the 286 vs 285gr 18,5g be that different to the 285gr having 16,5g Different powders, brass etc etc.

• R1 L1, R2 L2 at 50 met adjusted 1 full turn of hex and R3 and L3 they went further apart.
    Regulated shoot.JPG
I then moved to 100met and thought this would help... Blue lines are R1(left target) and L1right target) and then R2( left target) and L2(right target) are the yellow lines, The height seems fine but the distance between is concerning -while I may have swayed left and right with only a 4x scope the spaces are almost similar and
THEY GOT FURTHER APART AND CROSSED EVEN WORSE. :cry::unsure::X3:

Reg shoot 100met.JPG

Any help at this stage will be appreciated, I pulled up there and decided to ask and be educated by the more educated fellows than I, before I go making any major decisions and adjustments especially with the hex adjustments.

Many thanks in advanced and feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks in advance.

Nembwe
<*{{{-}<

When the shots cross you need to spread the barrels apart further, so, turn the screw counter clockwise, which drives the wedge deeper in spreading the barrels apart. Your issues do not come from projectile weight difference, but rather from velocity difference.

The manual describes what happens to the barrels, NOT the point of impact.

The manual describes what happens to the barrels, NOT the point of impact.
Many thanks OP
It would seem they would then cross at 10-20 meters ? Right
How much do I need to counter screw the reg screw to get them to “uncross” how sensitive is that reg screw??
thanks again Sir

I’m afraid the only advice I can give is to try trial and error. It’s a slow process as the barrels need to cool between the shots, but once you get the gist of it, it’s not complicated. It is, however, time-consuming. I would suggest you use a shooting bench to ensure the shots are true. I will hazard a guess, but that’s all it is, that with that much spread you can give it few full turns and see what happens.

I have regulated one rifle, a 9.3x74R Krieghoff so my experience is extremely limited. However, the regulation fundamentals are universal, whether you drive a wedge and solder it or move it by the be way of threads.

If you are a hand loader, reduce your loads. It may surprise you that only a few grains less powder and they will work their way back in the directing they are supposed to go. I've never messed around with a double thats "adjustable"....but I have loaded for with success quite a few doubles that just need load perfection to shoot right. When bullets cross like that too soon, that means too much velocity, too much powder. And the opposite is true on the other end of the spectrum....too little velocity and too little powder the right would shoot way right, left way left. Seems like an over simplified deal but it works. If you aren't a hand loader you are at the mercy of regulating to an ammo physically with the barrels.

If you are a hand loader, reduce your loads. It may surprise you that only a few grains less powder and they will work their way back in the directing they are supposed to go. I've never messed around with a double thats "adjustable"....but I have loaded for with success quite a few doubles that just need load perfection to shoot right. When bullets cross like that too soon, that means too much velocity, too much powder. And the opposite is true on the other end of the spectrum....too little velocity and too little powder the right would shoot way right, left way left. Seems like an over simplified deal but it works. If you aren't a hand loader you are at the mercy of regulating to an ammo physically with the barrels.
Building on this question my DR right
Barrel is perfect. My left shoots 5 inches high and 2 inches right. I am a reloader. I have a ton of a certain powder and Woodleigh bullets and given the powder and bullet situation I want to see if my rifle can be re regulated to the load I want. What are your thoughts on that please

I'm a little confused at this post,...the targets look like the shots are crossing and getting further apart as your distance moves further out. Or are you saying the right barrel is going where you want but the left is wonky? If they are crossing early and getting further apart you can compensate for that by reducing powder charge. Sometimes varying the charge affects each barrel differently. What I have done in the past is reduce the powder charge significantly and see if that makes things go in the opposite direction. I don't have any experience with a 9.3 but slow things down and see if you can get the right to stay on the right and vice versa. When you get to that point then start bringing the load up by .5 or 1.0 grain of powder.....this will bring them closer together.

My first double was a Merkel 9.3x74R 141E with the adjustable barrels. It allegedly came regulated for the ammo I sent to Merkel but it shot poorly and inconsistently with irons and scope. I was ready to use it for a tomato stake. I hated it.

I posted my frustration on another forum and after a lot of good, bad, stupid and sarcastic advice, a good man PM'd me and said "I understand your frustration. Here's my number, call me."

He sent me a copy of Merkel's "top secret" regulation instructions (and explained them) and told me to get set up on a good solid rest and fire 2 shots. Then let the barrels cool. Not to when I can touch them or think they are cool; let them cool to how they were before I fired the first 2 shots. Adjust as per the instructions and repeat. In less than a box of shells I was regulated and shooting at 50 and 100 yards.

This is one of my favorite rifles now and I have used this process on 2 other Merkel doubles.

Hang in there and be patient. Doubles are like women. They are beautiful, frustrating, difficult to understand and expensive. But when you find a good one, it is well worth it. Heym has a great product so I am sure you will be very happy once it is sorted.

Happy Christmas and Safe Shooting.

Good day all Double Rifle shooters, I have recently acquired a great K-9.3x74R in excellent condition and was able to get to the range for the first time, it was told to me that the rifle was regulated with 286gr, I wasn't able to get 286gr but was able to get the next best 285gr.

I started out at 50met and didn't have to many options the first two rounds as in picture were pretty much ok with the R1 and L1 firing well (but crossed over)
R2 and L2 were also spot on as pictured.

I proceeded to adjust /regulate the rifle as per Krieghoffs directions with the regulator with one full turn (clockwise) the fired another two rounds and R3 and L3 seemed to move further apart and crossed over even more.
My questions are:
  • Does anyone know how much 1 turn of the hex screw changes the regulations eg: 1 full turn = 1" at 100met etc? I cant find any thing on this setting unlike most scopes 1click=1/4" - 100.
  • The manual says "clockwise" brings the barrels closer and until clockwise takes them further. My workings def took them further apart.
  • Why are they crossing at 50Met? def right barrel left and left barrel right!!
  • I was shooting off a support similar to sticks with loose hands ( but still seated with the butt in my shoulder- no vice or rifle clamp etc etc.
  • Can the 286 vs 285gr 18,5g be that different to the 285gr having 16,5g Different powders, brass etc etc.

• R1 L1, R2 L2 at 50 met adjusted 1 full turn of hex and R3 and L3 they went further apart.View attachment 442630
I then moved to 100met and thought this would help... Blue lines are R1(left target) and L1right target) and then R2( left target) and L2(right target) are the yellow lines, The height seems fine but the distance between is concerning -while I may have swayed left and right with only a 4x scope the spaces are almost similar and
THEY GOT FURTHER APART AND CROSSED EVEN WORSE. :cry::unsure::X3:

View attachment 442631

Any help at this stage will be appreciated, I pulled up there and decided to ask and be educated by the more educated fellows than I, before I go making any major decisions and adjustments especially with the hex adjustments.

Many thanks in advanced and feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks in advance.

Nembwe
<*{{{-}<
Mine is a Chapuis, so it doesn't have the adjustable wedge. But what Uplander01 laid out is the method for fixed barrels. Based on what you described, you need to turn the adjustment screw the opposite direction the one full turn you took, plus a little. From what I've read, it is a game of patience. Allowing the barrels to fully cool makes a huge difference whether you have the adjustable barrel or not.
Powder choice makes an enormous difference as well
This was the solution for me. Drove myself nuts last summer and finally got frustrated enough to just set it all aside and went and played with other, more cooperative toys. When I picked up the task of trying to find a load for the DR again, I switched to a different powder and the first attempt gave me a regulated load with target velocity. Better yet, it regulates with both the Norma 285gr Oryx and the Nosler 286gr Partition shooting to the same poi. With 270gr Prvi, the same charge crosses by about 3-4", but centered at 100yds.

Old thread and all that, but just dropping a thanks! I was taking a Krieghoff 9.3x74r to the range to put its first few rounds down the pipe, and did not have a manual with me. I found this thread by @Nembwe and it was exactly what I needed.
Allowed me to get under an in on shots 17/18, and left me 19/20 to chrony. So thanks!

These issues are why I don’t have a wife or a double rifle. Just too damned finicky. lol!
To be fair, this was the first box of ammo I had put through it. And it took slightly less than a box. Would have only taken half a box, had I looked up this thread before I started!

Now I have a double rifle that is shooting sub inch! Though perhaps I got lucky!
1711667934752.png

To be fair, this was the first box of ammo I had put through it. And it took slightly less than a box. Would have only taken half a box, had I looked up this thread before I started!

Now I have a double rifle that is shooting sub inch! Though perhaps I got lucky!
View attachment 596206
Glad you got it shooting! I’ve always thought a 9.3 double would be a lot of fun to shoot. The prices on those used to be somewhat less than the larger doubles, but they’ve just about caught up now.

View attachment 596206
Thats great news Sir
Thats why these forums are helpful.
Nice target similar to mine now @80 meters

IMG_5211.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
My “wife”accounted for a beauty of a buff this past spring in the NT
Happy hunting Lads
<*{{{~<

Last edited:
I have a hunt booked in SA for this August. Hoping to take a zebra, kudu, and gems with this 9.3. I know they can take a buff, but I am saving that for a 500 NE single shot I am building up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverGood

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross