help... bow set up recommendation

tinaco

Reaction score
i am new to archery and I have a very big question and I want to go to Africa I have a Hoyt bow Carbon element and I have it 50-60 with 56 lbs Carbon Express 250 arrows tipped 100 grain Montec this would help me to go to africa or recommend me want to throw animals are wildebeest, facochero, Elant, oryx, zebra and CUDU

Welcome to AH Tinaco.
Your bow should be just fine for
Eland
Kudu
Oryx, Zebra
and Wildebeest
and the Warthog.

Buona fortuna per il tuo caccia

The bow will do just fine! I would use a solid two blade cut to the front broadhead though! File the point off to give it a chisel tipped front for structural strength and bone slicing ability! Shoot a 500 gr arrow for best penetration off that rig! Enjoy!!

Tinaco,
Lots of info available in regard to your question about bow set-ups/recommendations for Africa. Do a search on something like "bow set-up" or "bow recommendations" here on the forum and I'm sure you will find alot of information already discussed that will prove valuable to you....

That will work great! I prefer a 125 grain head but it probably doesn't matter much. Just don't shoot mechanicals in Africa! A Montec is a good choice. Just start shooting and have fun. Take some close shots too so you know how your bow will shoot at 12 yards as well as 24 yards.

T Just start shooting and have fun. Take some close shots too so you know how your bow will shoot at 12 yards as well as 24 yards.

Paper tune your bow to keep those arrows flying straight! Remember that the biggest problem we seem to have out here is shooting too high over close animals!

thank you very much for all the good advice and I will tell thanks

Hi there Tinaco,

here is some useful information that will put you in the right direction regarding your set-up for bow hunting in RSA.

NEW NORMS AND STANDARTS AS PER GOVERNMENT GAZETTE 27 MAY 2011 No. 34326

Permissible bows for bow hunting

a) longbow
b) recurve bow
c) compound bow

(A) Minimum requirements for bow hunting

a) For wild or alien animals of a small size, including gamebirds, small carnivores, hares, hyraxes, rabbits and pygmy antelope, the-
(1) kinetic energy should not be less than 30ft/lbs; and
(2) arrow weight should not be less than 300 grains;

b) For wild or alien animals of medium size, including reedbuck, impala, blesbuck, warthog, bushpig, springbuck and nyala, the-
(1) kinetic energy should not be less than 50ft/lbs
(2) arrow weight should not be less than 380 grains;
c) For wild or alien animals of large size including wildebeest, kudu, gemsbuck, zebra, waterbuck, sable and hartebeest the-
(1) kinetic energy should not be less than 60ft/lbs; and
(2) arrow weight should not be less than 415 grains.

d) Cape buffalo, the-
(1) kinetic energy should not be less than 80ft/lbs; and
(2) arrow weight should not be less than 750 grains

e) Giraffe, the-
(1) kinetic energy should not be less than 90ft/lbs; and
(2) arrow weight should not be less than 750 grains

(B) In addition to the requirements contemplated in sub-paragraph (A) the following conditions apply with regards to the use of mechanical broad heads-
(a) for species contemplated in sub paragraph (A)(a), (A)(b), (A)(c), 5% additional kinetic energy is required.
(b) broad heads must have at least two cutting edges; and
(c) the minimum permitted arrow length is 50cm.

Just remember that shot placement is most important. Practice, Practice and Practice!!!!!!

If you have more questions regarding bow hunting in RSA feel free to contact me.

tinaco - You will find GREAT advice on this forum. I am a new forum member and have learned alot from reading the information here. Download the shot placement images and study them!! The shot placement of African game really surprised me. See the link below: It will help you calculate the KE of your bow setup.
Bow/Arrow Speed Calculator (Estimate from IBO/ATA)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brookbeans941

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!